Syrians speak better Arabic than Gulf Arabs?

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Well he doesn't sound Mudug but certainly doesn't have a thick northern accent either.
Standard somali is based on northern somali which as you correctly stated includes the varieties spoken in Somali Galbeed, NFD and Gedo but that's very broad. Reer PL speak differently from reer Hargeysa. I think the standard somali spoken in media is closer to what people speak in in parts of mudug , Galgaduud, Bari etc. I'm no expert though.
Somalis from certain cities tend to have a strong accent like reer hargeisa for ex but it doesn't change the fact that they speak the standard Somali dialect. In waqooye, reer miye/baadiye people don't have a strong accent like their brethrens from hargeisa and speak just like the news broadcaster above and so are reer djibouti. Even though I have a djiboutian accent, it's very easy for me to understand reer hargeisa compared to reer kalkayo. Reer bari from bosaso also speak the standard Somali dialect from my experience because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Somali from bosaso and a Somali from diredawa based on their dialect. Regional accents within the same Somali dialect can be troublesome for non native speakers like you guys. Reer mudug use O at the end of many words/sentences and even names and that makes mudug a different dialect than standard even though it's easy to understand since the structure of the words are different. It's simple for fobs to understand which dialect a Somali is speaking regardless of their accent.

Apollo

VIP
@Som @Shimbiris @Aurelian @Hybrid()

When it comes to lack of dialectal variation and geographic spread, the award goes to Russian. Apparently they have nearly the same accent in Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok. Kind of impressive. The Soviets heavily standardized the language.

Som

VIP
@Som @Shimbiris @Aurelian @Hybrid()

When it comes to lack of dialectal variation and geographic spread, the award goes to Russian. Apparently they have nearly the same accent in Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok. Kind of impressive. The Soviets heavily standardized the language.
Well the Russians in Vladivostok are originally from European Russia so it makes sense they would have a similar accent to Moscow.
When it comes to Russia we should look at native Russian homelands and see the difference between let's say Moscow and St. Petersburg accents

Last edited:

Som

VIP
Somalis from certain cities tend to have a strong accent like reer hargeisa for ex but it doesn't change the fact that they speak the standard Somali dialect. In waqooye, reer miye/baadiye people don't have a strong accent like their brethrens from hargeisa and speak just like the news broadcaster above and so are reer djibouti. Even though I have a djiboutian accent, it's very easy for me to understand reer hargeisa compared to reer kalkayo. Reer bari from bosaso also speak the standard Somali dialect from my experience because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Somali from bosaso and a Somali from diredawa based on their dialect. Regional accents within the same Somali dialect can be troublesome for non native speakers like you guys. Reer mudug use O at the end of many words/sentences and even names and that makes mudug a different dialect than standard even though it's easy to understand since the structure of the words are different. It's simple for fobs to understand which dialect a Somali is speaking regardless of their accent.
Ok. Hear this .
The tv journalist presenter speaks in a more polished standard way than the reer baadiyes who are interview. The old man speaks pretty standard but has a noticeable accent.

Som

VIP
I would divide Somali accents into macro categories . The typical division north vs benadir is very flawed.
Northern accent proper: somaliland, Djibouti maybe Bari region of PL
North Central accent: Mudug, galgaduud. For example Hawiyes in Mudug and galgaduud speak pretty standard compared to southern Hawiyes. Reer Gedo MX are originally from galgaduud and have this type of accent.
South-central : Hiiran, maybe southern galgaduud. They have a southern twist but still close to central accents.
Southerners accent proper: Mogadishu, maxaa tiiri speaking areas of shabeelaha and Jubbooyinka.

Each macro accent can be further divided into several regional groups. I think we can agree that the standard dialect is from the northern variety but I'm still not convinced which northern variety is the closest to the standard form

Som

VIP
This is a map of the dialects of at Soomaali. I disagree with this map mostly because it groups central Haiwye majority areas with the benadir dialect. At least to me Haiwye folks in galgaduud and Mudug sound almost like their Darood counterparts who are grouped with northern dialect

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Ok. Hear this .
The tv journalist presenter speaks in a more polished standard way than the reer baadiyes who are interview. The old man speaks pretty standard but has a noticeable accent.
These reer miyi geeljirre are from the outskirts of hargeisa.
Here's an example of reer miye waqooye. below isa video of Isaaq people from xarshin

I would divide Somali accents into macro categories . The typical division north vs benadir is very flawed.
Northern accent proper: somaliland, Djibouti maybe Bari region of PL
North Central accent: Mudug, galgaduud. For example Hawiyes in Mudug and galgaduud speak pretty standard compared to southern Hawiyes. Reer Gedo MX are originally from galgaduud and have this type of accent.
South-central : Hiiran, maybe southern galgaduud. They have a southern twist but still close to central accents.
Southerners accent proper: Mogadishu, maxaa tiiri speaking areas of shabeelaha and Jubbooyinka.

Each macro accent can be further divided into several regional groups. I think we can agree that the standard dialect is from the northern variety but I'm still not convinced which northern variety is the closest to the standard form
Don't forget DDSI somalis. They got a population of 7 million and their accent is closer to reer waqooye

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Tbh Im not too familiar with mudug accent. I based my opinion on mudug from few people on YouTube.
After watching a vid of reer baadiye geeljirre from galgaduud, I don't know what to say.

These geeljirre speak just like reer djibouti and diredawa. They don't even speak the mudug dialect that I'm familiar with

Trending

Latest posts