Sultan of Luuq letter to the Italians

Too quick in my opinion. I've read a few things from Bottego (the Italian colonial agent who facilitated the occupation of Gedo and Jubbooyinka) he had a very bad opinion of somalis, he called us cunning evil traitors. He also had a very bad understanding of Somali clans, he said Raxanweyn are more recent arab immigrants while darood are descendants of Arabs who came before them. He even reported an alleged somali oral story that says luuq was founded by Arabs despite no Arabs lives outside the coastal towns in Somalia. Surrending to this ignorant man was a mistake, actually I would have allied with the xabashis against the Europeans if i was the sultan
There are actually Arabs outside of coastal regions. But usually in tiny pockets around the country. For example there is a farm in Baidoa called Beerta Carabta that used to be owned by Carab traders before they lefy the country

World

VIP
They actually occupied Luuq in 1893 according to Italian sources and only left the town after they learned an Italian expedition is coming from the coast. Amharas raided Baydhabo area and Dooy region every year from 1891 to 1901, moreover, the Ethiopian raiding expeditions to southern Somalia were sent from Arsi and Borana regions, not Hararghe.View attachment 247050
This is one of the many letters sent by the Abyssinians to the Sultan of Luuq demanding tribute.
Like i said it’s not hard to raid that far deep but to permanently occupy it, you need to build supply lines. If you have 10,000 soldiers stationed for years where will they get their food from? A supply line from Arsi to Luuq is still too far. That’s why the lowlands couldn’t be controlled until the second half of the 20th century. They would just steal livestock of the poor Somalis and run away. But when faced with actual Somali forces, they were defeated as Western sources from 1899 said:
EEEDD77D-A4C5-44AD-BE72-8CB29AC9CC19.jpeg

They built a pillar of skulls in Luuq before the Gobroons helped chase them away. The Italians were much more civilized than the raw meat eating mountain apes. Like Ho Chi Minh once said “better to smell French sh*t for a day than Chinese sh*t forever.

Som

VIP
There are actually Arabs outside of coastal regions. But usually in tiny pockets around the country. For example there is a farm in Baidoa called Beerta Carabta that used to be owned by Carab traders before they lefy the country
Yes but we are talking about few individuals. The Italians thought that the entire region was settled by Arab and that somalis were partly their descendants

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Like i said it’s not hard to raid that far deep but to permanently occupy it, you need to build supply lines. If you have 10,000 soldiers stationed for years where will they get their food from? A supply line from Arsi to Luuq is still too far. That’s why the lowlands couldn’t be controlled until the second half of the 20th century. They would just steal livestock of the poor Somalis and run away. But when faced with actual Somali forces, they were defeated as Western sources from 1899 said:
View attachment 247055
They had an outpost around Borana zone I believe at or around Moyaale.

There was no Marehan Sultan of Luuq as much as I know. Luuq Sultan was always Gasaargude.

Some Marehans maybe falsely used this picture and due to their attempt to rewrite history claimed him as marehan.
This man was never claimed by Marexan, it was some bs made by some idoor troll on twitter trying to mock us by saying that was our ugaas

لقد احتلوا لوق بالفعل عام 1893 وفقًا لمصادر إيطالية ولم يغادروا المدينة إلا بعد أن علموا أن رحلة استكشافية إيطالية قادمة من الساحل. داهمت الأمهرية منطقة بيدهابو ومنطقة دوي كل عام من عام 1891 إلى عام 1901، علاوة على ذلك، تم إرسال حملات الإغارة الإثيوبية إلى جنوب الصومال من منطقتي أرسي وبورانا، وليس من هرارغي.View attachment 247050
وهذه إحدى الرسائل العديدة التي أرسلها الحبشيون إلى سلطان لوق يطالبون فيها بالجزية.
do you know Arabic or is there someone translating this for you ? I hope you will be sure next time of what you say, because this is not the content of the message

Trending