Stigma impedes HIV treatment in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promiscuity is associated with HIV/AIDS in conservative Somali society, and many hide their conditions.

Mogadishu, Somalia - In a small dark room in Mogadishu's Banaadir Hospital, a group of patients sits quietly on wooden chairs waiting to collect their monthly medication ration.

They're all HIV positive. The medicine they are given is anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs.

The female patients wear a face veil while the men cover their mouths with scarves and mostly look down, dodging eye contact. They all avoid answering their phones when at the hospital, as they don't want someone in the room or nearby to recognise their voices.

In Somalia having AIDS or being HIV positive means doing everything in one's power to stay invisible. The identity of HIV/AIDS patients at Banaadir Hospital is kept secret. Nurses call the patients using identity numbers instead of names.

A father of five children, Abdirahman - whose surname was not used to protect his identity - said he contracted HIV from his previous wife who passed away in 2001. He has good reason for wanting to stay anonymous.

"I was naïve and told my neighbours I'm HIV positive when I was first diagnosed, expecting they will sympathise with me," said Abdirahman, shaking his head in regret.

"Hours later, all my neighbours moved out and my children were kicked out from the local school because their father is HIV positive."

Soft-spoken with a greying goatee, Abdirahman, 43, looks older than his age. He found out he had the virus after going to the hospital for tuberculosis treatment.

Sitting opposite him is 25-year-old mother-of-five Rahma. She contracted HIV when dentists at her local clinic used unsterilised equipment to remove a bad tooth. She was diagnosed HIV-positive 11 months ago and is still coming to terms with her condition.

"I'm still in shock of why this happened to me and why they did this to me," Rahma said, tears filling her eyes. "I only told my husband and we agreed we won't tell no one else, even our parents. If we tell our families they will abandon us and our children."

Aggresive awareness campaign

Somalia's health system has been destroyed by the civil war that's raged for more than 20 years. The capital Mogadishu has many hospitals - both private and those funded by international organisations - but until recently none offered free treatment to HIV-positive patients.

Patients in Mogadishu used to go to Merca, a town more than 90 kilometres away, to seek treatment. Most couldn't afford the fares for the journey. Recently a local organisation, South Central Relief Network (SCRN), opened its first office in Mogadishu's Banadir Hospital to cater specifically to HIV/AIDs patients. Currently it provides free treatment to 132 patients who are HIV positive.

"The number of people with HIV in Somalia is increasing," said Mohamed Siad, head counselor at SCRN. "We now receive between five to seven new patients a day. They are referred to us from the hospital."

The exact number of people living with HIV/AIDS in Somalia is unknown.

According to the Somali government, one percent of the country's estimated nine million population is HIV positive. In 2011, UNAIDS estimated the number of people living with HIV in Somalia to be 35,000.

The number of patients coming to SCRN in their Mogadishu clinic is increasing, thanks in part to an aggressive awareness campaign.

We are a private hospital and to treat HIV positive or AIDS patients will be economic suicide.

-Dr Abdulkadir Sheikh, Hanano Hospital, Mogadishu

"We have placed advertisements on TV and local FM radio stations to raise awareness, to tell people they don't have to suffer in silence," said Mohamed, who himself is HIV positive.

But the awareness campaign is not without its challenges.

"Some TV channels and radio stations refused to accept our ads for fear of been stigmatised," said Mohamed.

Most of those coming to the HIV/AIDS clinic in Mogadishu are too poor to buy the medication elsewhere.

Those who can afford to travel abroad for treatment usually do so, in order to keep their condition private.

"People come to us to do blood tests. They then call to ask for the result," explained Omar Abdi of the Fathu Rahma Laboratory and Pharmacy. "If they're positive they never come back but go to Kenya for treatment."

Private hospitals and pharmacies in Mogadishu avoid stocking HIV/AIDs medication.

"We are a private hospital and if those patients not suffering from HIV or AIDS found out we treat people with AIDS or HIV in our hospital, they will all discharge themselves and we won't have any patients and we won't have any business after that," said Dr Abdulkadir Sheikh of Hanano Hospital.

"We are a private hospital and to treat HIV positive or AIDs patients will be economic suicide."

Stigma of AIDS

In Somalia, HIV/AIDS is associated with promiscuity and in conservative Muslim society, it's proving difficult to convince many to come out and seek treatment.

"Because of our religion and people wanting to protect their family name, no one wants to have the community thinking they go around sleeping with everyone, especially prostitutes," Mohamed said.

The new internationally recognised government, which took office in September last year, has encouraged patients to get treatment despite the social stigma attached.

"We offer training to hospital staff, we also do the same for the community to increase their knowledge of HIV/AIDS," said Sadia Abdisamad, HIV/AIDs National Program Manager at the department of health.

"We have put billboards in the city, placed ads on radios. Our focus is to increase awareness to try and stop the spread of the disease, and to make people come out and seek treatment without fear of been stigmatised," she said.

Despite such attempts by the government and local organisations, it may be a long time before the stigma and fear associated with HIV/AIDs in Somalia is overcome.

"Somalis are more scared of HIV than bombs, so fearful they will not accept to be in the same building as someone with HIV," said Abdirahman.

Now, all he wants is to be left alone in peace to look after his five children. "I'm very weak and in the final years of my life, I want to be left alone to raise my kids without harassment," he said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...hiv-treatment-somalia-201392214542398502.html

HIV infections on the rise in Somalia.

Just like the rest of the world, Somalia today marked World Aids Day by bringing together people of all walks of life including those living with HIV Aids.

Many thronged Banardir Hospital in Central Mogadishu for voluntary testing for HIV. This year’s HIV Aids Day theme in Somalia was “bridging the gap”, after new figures showed an increase in new HIV infections.

The rise in infections is being blamed on ignorance, cultural barriers and fear of stigmatization which hampers many people from finding out their HIV status.

According to statistics from the Somalia National Aids Commission, Somalia has a total of 26,000 people living with HIV & AIDS with 51 percent of them being women. This figure includes those living in Southern Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland.

In 2013, 2,691 new cases were reported in south central Somalia alone, while 980 was reported in Somaliland and 278 in Puntland.

As part of this year’s campaign to deter new HIV infections, some 200 university students from Somalia University and Jazeera University between the ages of 19 to 23 received free screening at Banadir hospital. The campaign is targetting the youth because they are considered as the most vulnerable group.

Dr. Lul Mahamud Mohamed, head of Banadir hospital, which is one of the only two Voluntary Counselling and Testing Centers (VCT) in Mogadishu says her hospital is currently treating 300 HIV & AIDS patients who receive free treatment at the centre. She urged Somalis to know their status and encouraged them to openly discuss the diseases so that more and more people can know about it.

“We are here today because it is 1st of December, it is World Aids Day and we are doing some activity to improve quality of care and to even know the (HIV & AIDS) status of the Somalia people,” Dr. Lul said at the Banadir Hospital VCT centre where dozens of students from Somalia University were being counselled and screened.

In Somalia, HIV and Aids is still considered a taboo subject as is directly associated with promiscuity in a where country 99 percent of its population profess Islam. Health workers dealing with HIV & AIDS depend largely on those living with HIV to help them break these barriers.

Sahra Ahmed Ali, a mother of 7 children is among those living with HIV & AIDS. She first knew of her HIV positive status 7 months ago. She is urging Somalis to go for HIV testing to know their status and has also called upon newlyweds to test for HIV before exchanging vows, to reduce chances of contracting the disease

“I contracted the disease in Mogadishu from my husband who was married to another woman. He infected me and so that is how I contracted the disease. After I realized am sick I went for a HIV test in a hospital in Mogadishu which referred me to Banadir hospital and that is how I started taking medication here,”

Mohamed Said Shire, who is also living with HIV & AIDS and is the chairman of the umbrella for the people living with disease in Somalia says since he openly came out about her status in 2006, he has managed to bring down some of the barriers that cause stigmatization against people living with HIV and AIDS.

Ahmed Mohamed Jimale, the Somalia National AIDS Commission chairman says new cases of HIV & AIDS are on the rise in Somalia and blames it on ignorance and cultural beliefs. He said this year’s World Aids Day celebrations is aimed at stemming the rise of new infections.

“New infections are on the rise, Yes because we get new positive cases almost every day but people still feel stigmatized and they fear coming out whenever they test positive, it is one of the main challenges and this is caused by stigmatization.”

http://amisom-au.org/2014/12/hiv-infections-on-the-rise-in-somalia/

This is how Somali women with HIV dress when they come to the hospital to collect their anti-viral drugs.

upload_2017-6-11_17-8-38.png

Cyberborg

My heart is in Dhoqoshay
why did they have sex outside marriage?????? this ispunishment. only feel sympathy for the first wives and the dental patient, this is originally gay disease infecting innocent muslims now, but adulterers not innocent

why did they have sex outside marriage?????? this ispunishment. only feel sympathy for the first wives and the dental patient, this is originally gay disease infecting innocent muslims now, but adulterers not innocent

Cyberborg

Could it be possible that the virus started from sex between camels and humans and thus began in Somalia as a result of young nomadic men having sex (it is common) with camels? My Theory.....are there any potential PHD candidates on this forum who require a scholarship to prove me right?

This virus only kills poor people in the Third World regardless of their religion or sexual orientation. I believe that over 90% of Somali men had sex/zina before, during or after they got married. is widely popular in Muslim countries and this indicates religious sexual repression doesn't work.

Cyberborg

Could it be possible that the virus started from sex between camels and humans and thus began in Somalia as a result of young nomadic men having sex (it is common) with camels? My Theory.....are there any potential PHD candidates on this forum who require a scholarship to prove me right?

This virus only kills poor people in the Third World regardless of their religion or sexual orientation. I believe that over 90% of Somali men had sex/zina before, during or after they got married. is widely popular in Muslim countries and this indicates religious sexual repression doesn't work.
HIV was created by white people in labs and injected into Africans as a means of biological warfare

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
Sex isn't the only way it's spread, a contimanted blood transfusion is also one, not to mention being born with it by having a mother with the virus, and that's not the fault of the offspring. I mean, the man in the first post got it from his wife, who knows where she could've gotten it from? Relatively speaking the HIV/AIDS rate in Somalia is extremely low so it's likely to come from sources outside of sex, though perhaps that shouldn't be completely ruled out as a means of transmission

yuusufdiin

child of afgooye
HIV in somalia? ok let me get to the bottom of this using suugo science:fittytousand:
notice how mogadishu has 4 syllables? the 4th letter of mogadishu is A
majority of somali's are muslim, muslim starts with M
muslims follow islam, that starts with an I
and where is all this taking place in? Somalia, that starts with an S
HIV is the last thing somalia leads, farmaajo got elected, whats the last letter in his name? O
civilization started where? mama africa, what does mama start with? M
giphy.gif

AMISOM IS SPREADING HIV IN SOMALIA

Last edited:
This is heartbreaking to read

Dumbass if you bothered to read the article you'd know that not all of them contracted it via sex

I bet contracting it from unsterilised equipment is surprising common there

ItsHanna

I am the Toby Flenderson of this forum
Wait the woman got aids from the dentist? I would have to kill him.

What really tripped me up is when she said if her parents find out they would abandon her? Really? She didn't even have sex outside of marriage she fucking got HIV AT DENTIST OFFICE WTF!!! And she thinks they'd disown her for that? Y'all gotta do better.

Somalia should start developing and regulating hospitals and other medical facilities. All doctors should be educated properly on the means of treating multiple people while maintaining sanitation. As for the people that contract HIV through sex, they should also be treated and hopefully encouraged to come out, lest they infect more people. HIV is a disease more easily controlled publicly rather than secretly.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
This is heartbreaking to read

Dumbass if you bothered to read the article you'd know that not all of them contracted it via sex

I bet contracting it from unsterilised equipment is surprising common there

:snoop:

these clinics should be regulated or closed down. They're probably spreading other bloodborn diseases as well.

HIV was created by white people in labs and injected into Africans as a means of biological warfare

Yep, they first injected the disease into Africans in the Congo when originally claiming that they were vaccinating for polio.

Yep, they first injected the disease into Africans in the Congo when originally claiming that they were vaccinating for polio.

Did they inject us Somalis with an anarchy virus and as result, we destroyed one another and our country? Sounds a credible conspiracy to me.

http://www.bmartin.cc/pubs/94tld.html

They're continuing to cover their tracks by saying that the theory was "disproved", because they know if the truth came out it would severely hurt the industry of medical science and testing, and they would lose face.

#staywoke
I heard this about Ebola too. Wouldn't be surprised. Things like this happen in places like India too because it is stil developing and some people believe that the world is "overpopulated".

Status
Not open for further replies.