Starting a business in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
How long does it take to start a business in Africa especially in Nairobi?

Will my business be more successful since I’m from diaspora?

Will I get more customers?

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Nairobi is the right place to start a business and I'm sure you will succeed if you put alotta efforts. Sometimes not that much effort needed.

I know alotta Somali folks with businesses in there and now they're successful.

Perfect place to be, plus Kenyans are resepectful people and maskiin:ohhhdamn:

Go for it, @Reiko

Good luck too.

I’ve a business degree! Thank you Very much.

Most of my relatives have business in Tanzania. I want to venture out!
If u want millions you need to do things others haven't done. Somalia has a lot of natural recources you could make billions. But you could just go to Tanzania

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
How long does it take to start a business in Africa especially in Nairobi?

Will my business be more successful since I’m from diaspora?

Will I get more customers?

Abaaay

it depends. Are you going to work there or hire people?

Come up with an idea that provides a better service in a certain field. You also need to acquire information about the markets in kenya and you'll be good. You should also get in contact with business oriented people in the area. Networking is extremely important and it can save you a lot of time, energy and give you the competitive edge compared to the locals. The internet is a good tool, so you should use it more effectivly. You have formal education, and that is good, but you also need to learn practical information through learned experiences of other successful individuals. That's why you should read books.

Save all of your money. It is important to have enough liquid to invest whatever you want to delve into. You should also read all about currency and how it moves. It is a complicated game in some way. But a person that wants to open up a venture needs to understand how the economy around him/her is functioning. With this information you can anticipate events easier and do advances when you see an opportunity, or the the proper precautions should something bad come around.

Write a business plan. A lot of background information is needed to fully finish this, but you'll manage.

Here are some links

https://articles.bplans.com/how-to-write-a-business-plan/

Some examples of plans

https://www.bplans.com/sample_busin...1.1471157257.1545294819-1139689820.1545294819

The thing is, kenya is a fresh market with a growing economy. You have a higher chance of succeeding there than where you are currently living.

Last edited:
It's all about value creation, and getting maximum profit out of this value. I forgot to mention that you should read on management. How to manage people, motivate them and help them move to your desired goal. Body language and communication skills are things that people often forget to become better at, but you should focus on this. Getting skillful/proficient in what you want to do, should be your primary goal.

Create good habits. Throw away the unproductive and bad ones. Time consuming activities that don't revolve around learning or anything beneficial to you should be dropped and replaced with something better.

Fear is fake, it stand for false evidence appearing real, basically it is a useless impulse in this day and age. It might have been in good use when we were caveman and we had to fight other primitive animals for food. But today we human beings live in a relatively safe environment. So you should learn to become fearless, and whenever your brain gives you this impulsive response, know that whatever you are fearing never usually happens.

You should learn to not take things personally and focus on reading yourself objectively, a hard truth is a pill you must force yourself to swallow if you want to grow as a person and become successful.

And lastly, don't be afraid to fail. Failure must happen, and you should accept it with open arms. Failure gives us many good lifelong lessons, while success is a lousy teacher. When you recognise one failure, learn from it and never repeat it again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.