Something Is Amiss In This Genetic Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
I haven't been to my 23 & Me page for quite a while but decided to check any new development out after they contacted me with new methodology of calculating populations. I am XX% Somalia, but looking at the map something is amiss. Slowly but surely Somaliland is chipping away from Somalia. My people haven't been past east of Zeila/Lughaya in Somalia proper.

upload_2018-4-15_22-49-14.png

Last edited:
There were a lot of north/south migrations. The distant ancestors of afro-Asiatic speaking people migrated from the north (middle east or north Africa) to the south (the Sahel and east Africa as far south as Tanzania). The ancestors of Cushitic speaking people then migrated from the south (Southern Ethiopia and northern Kenya) to the North again as far north as Sudan. Their Somali descendants then did another migration from the north (northern Somalia and Ethiopia) to the south (Southern Somalia, southern Ethiopia and northern Kenya) in the middle ages.

There were probably more migrations that we just don't know about, but that's the picture genetic and linguistic studies have generally painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.