Some people in Somalia are so mean when they hear your accent…

Now this might be associated with their socio-economic status, but I’ve noticed this weird attitude. For example when I’m out shopping, there are girls who will giggle and make fun of me while I’m getting my measurements (my mom got bothered but I just told her loudly that they have no money 💀) or I get called dumb when I’m asking a perfume lady if she has fruit because I don’t like musk. I don’t know how to say those two words in Somali and the girls next to me started to mock me.

I’ve noticed they tend to be on the poorer end, I was in the car with my dad and these group of girls passing by were saying “of course she’d get with him, he might be an old man but he has money” referring to me 🤮🤮

The people here are mostly nice and polite but some can be super rude, when I take the tuktuk they give me ridiculous prices and one tried asking for $2 when it’s usually 30 cents! And literally kicked me out of the car when I said no!

I feel sympathy for them I really do, it’s not easy to be poor here and there are limited options for the middle class unless you have connections. But I just find it hypocritical how they hate people from abroad and mock them, but dream of going abroad and think it’s like jannah. Make it make sense…

I’m leaving soon and honestly can’t wait, this was a great reminder and a good refresher on not taking advantage of the opportunity I have in America and working harder to achieve my goals.

However living with people who either resent you or their sole purpose is to gain something from you is a little jarring to me, I’m not used to being blatantly used. Even my younger siblings here dont see me as anything more than a way out or a piggy bank.

Well on the bright side I’ll be in Dubai in a couple weeks 🤷🏾‍♀️

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
It’s human nature. We’re the Somali equivalent of the rich white upperclassmen in the west that leftists hate.

Where in somalia have u been to?, that place must have been tuulo to experience people with that attitude, you need to visit bigger and peaceful cities such as hargeysa and garowe.

Mudug_gyal

لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّه
VIP
You’re too nice. I wouldn’t feel bad for them at all as people back home do not try to better their situation at all. All they do is live off remittance they do absolutely nothing not even try to create jobs for the youth there. Even other third world countries got some sort of system of work. Somalia must be worst than the third world.

You’re too nice. I wouldn’t feel bad for them at all as people back home do not try to better their situation at all. All they do is live off remittance they do absolutely nothing not even try to create jobs for the youth there. Even other third world countries got some sort of system of work. Somalia must be worst than the third world.
The problem is nepotism and tribalism, the best person for the job will not get the job because they’d rather hire a relative or someone from the same tribe. That’s why I feel bad, these kids just graduating college don’t stand a chance.

Tribalism is a disease!

onEdge

Recovering from humiliation kink.
There's a lot of things I don't like about us somalis.

People not minding their own business. The buuq.
High conflict culture. People not minding their own business.
Tribalism. Ego.
Superiority complex.
Not having individuality. People like grouping you together with your family or generalizing a whole tribe or for example diaspora.
Directness. People being comfortable asking you personal questions. Highly territorial people.
A lot of diaspora love to romantisize somalia. Don't get me wrong. It's a great place. Feeling that sense of belonging. Being with people who look like you. Hearing the adhan. Seeing the relatives. Etc.
But the country has a long way to go in terms of economic progress and social progress. I am patriotic. I still make Dua for somalia. But at the moment am not moving there.

Puntland is making strides and trying to help its youth, there’s even a job fair I saw in garowe, even a kid with no formal education can go rent or buy a tuktuk with the money they receive from qaraabo abroad, and I saw a few cases, in Galkacyo I saw 14 year olds working during the school holidays, construction, tuktuk drivers, shopkeeping, vendors etc, there’s hope for puntland to say the least, I don’t know about other places though

There is some growth going on, not all people back home are bums or leeches, they’re some trying to actively get ahead make money, I’m grateful they haven’t turned to more nefarious schemes like before, and Inshallah May it continue

Maybe it’s cause you’re a women and those halimos are jealous of you, but most people I ran into back home are happy that you have an interest in your roots and are showing initiative by trying to improve and speak your mother’s tongue. They joke around here and there but the main problem I have is they went to improve their english by speaking english to me and I want to speak Somali to improve in that department
:denzelnigga:

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
There's a lot of things I don't like about us somalis.

People not minding their own business. The buuq.
High conflict culture. People not minding their own business.
Tribalism. Ego.
Superiority complex.
Not having individuality. People like grouping you together with your family or generalizing a whole tribe or for example diaspora.
Directness. People being comfortable asking you personal questions. Highly territorial people.
A lot of diaspora love to romantisize somalia. Don't get me wrong. It's a great place. Feeling that sense of belonging. Being with people who look like you. Hearing the adhan. Seeing the relatives. Etc.
But the country has a long way to go in terms of economic progress and social progress. I am patriotic. I still make Dua for somalia. But at the moment am not moving there.
isn't the saying ''isku dayasho diin maleh'' big thing in somalia at least in the north

Being diaspora sucks sometimes ngl.

We don’t fit in, in the west because of a foreign name, culture and religion

and then we don’t fit in back home either because of a foreign accent and mannerisms

and then we don’t fit in back home either because of a foreign accent and mannerisms

Takes a while to fit in back home I say a year or two and you’re indistinguishable from the locals.

True wallahi, the worst is when you're having a decent conversation with someone and when it gets to "lahjadada waan garanwayey, xaggee ka timaaday?" and you tell them you're from the west and their vibe completely changes...

Trending