Somalis used to bury their dead with antelope horns 4,000 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent archaeological excavations of a large rockshelter at Buur Heybe, southern Somalia, resulted in the discovery of fourteen human burials of early Holocene age. The Gogoshiis Qabe burials represent: 1) the first primary context prehistoric skeletal remains from Somalia; 2) the earliest chronometrically dated burials from the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Ethiopia and Djibouti); and 3) the earliest definitive evidence in eastern Africa for grave goods (lesser kudu horns). The mortuary data are examined in light of an ecological model of hunter/gatherer socio/territorial organization which predicts that when critical human resources are spatio/temporally unpredictable and scarce, hunter/gatherers are unlikely to bury their dead in formal burial areas or build grave monuments. Conversely, when resources are abundant and predictable across time and space, conditions will arise that favour the construction of grave monuments and/or formal burial areas, possibly as a means of ritualizing corporate lineal descent

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Interesting so they used Antelope horns in southern Somalia 4000 years ago. I wonder what they believed those Antelope horns would do for the deceased.

Magnificent beasts

gameLesserKudu.jpg

I wonder if the Somalis are their meat or if they just killed them for their horns to bury.
It would be pretty wasteful for hunter gatherers to waste meat like that but that's just my guess. Some San bush men still hunt and eat it tho like they have been for millenia

Might have been a waaq ritual or something. If it is then I'd expect the oromos and afar to be practicing it too.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I'm pretty sure @AbdiJohnson have had several e-fights saying that Somalis are invaders to south Somalia so??? Are you saying that these were Bantus or have you come around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending