Somalis Never Had Civilization

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DR OSMAN, May 21, 2019.

1. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    I wonder sometimes if we truly had a state or civilization in our history and I doubt we did or else it would show up in our language that we know what a 'state' is. The only word we have for a 'state' is the arabic loan word 'dawlat' so clearly we never understood what a 'state' was in our history or else it would be a 'Somali word' and not a borrowed word.

The Arabs are to Somalis like the latin/greeks are too Western Europeans basically. We borrow all our concepts and ideas from the arabs while Western Europe borrowed all it's terms about government and state from from latin or greek. Infact all their knowledge in the sciences has 'root words' back to latin or greek and not necessarily their own knowledge because if it was we would see the root words of scientific terms and government and civilization being 'english rooted' not rooted in another language like latin or greek. So they were clearly barbaric themselves and learned much of what they know from the greeks and romans which they don't deny themselves.

So I don't believe as Somalis we ever had a state not even at a 'tribal level'. We created some sort of 'hogaan' but that's just leadership over a 'group of related people' or tribes or clans. We never left the stage of 'clan or tribe' to form any sort of state or governance and were just roaming nomads. Did we have education? I think we did because we have terms like 'waxgarad and waxbarad" but what type of knowledge that was in history I am not sure and researching.

So in my view we had some learned people is my opinion and students in different fields of knowledge or else we wouldn't have that term 'waxbarasho or waxgarad'. We have key terms and words for 'metal' like 'bir' so this is rooted in somali because it was a field we must of had knowledge in. But we don't have a word for things like 'chemicals'. We had some grasp of the 'numeracy' though such as 'misaan' so we understood 'weight' which clearly needs some sort of numbering system. We have words for 'numerals' but no original written script in Somali or our own text. We lacked literacy and must've of borrowed 'arabic script' if we were ever to communicate in literacy.

Stop being proud of being Somali is all I have to say, we are little bit better then bushmen and aborigines who lack even numbering systems or understanding mathamatical counting.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    Notice the term 'gaari' isn't Somali. It's rooted in Indian. The word for Car in Hindi is 'GAADEE' you can check on google translate yourself and type indian word for car. So all these terms come from Indian, Arabic, Italian, English.

For example we had no clue on 'medical' field the word we use for 'doctor' is literally 'doctor' in af-somali, so it's a loan-word, we had no advances in medicine, you can rule that out. We weren't curing nothing and dying like rats at best. So don't expect to be any finds in Somalia in regards to medical advances when we lack words for it. If the society didn't develop a word for a field, it's because they never knew about the field itself and were ignorant.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    If you look at the loan-words from Arabic in Somali, it's mainly around concepts of religion. We were bloody atheist loooooool. We didn't even know 'edeb or akhlaq' for example which is an arabic word, we were 'rowdy' and 'loud' is my suspicion as we have no word for 'manners' in our language. So those terms about somalis being wild 'berbers' is probably true in greek/islamic accounts.

The concept of even worshipping isn't a somali thing, we don't have a word for 'abuud' which is arabic itself. Praying is Salat another arabic word. We didn't even under 'niyad or qalbi' we had no understanding of internal emotions even as they are all loan words from arabic. We did have a somali word for 'marriage' though such as 'gurso' and no word for 'lagaroone or khaniis' which are arabic words so that's a good thing I guess. We were most likely not a gay society and married our women under what circumstances I don't know but most likely 'clan' marriages. But we lacked all sorts of morality, worshipping god, or any civil morality.

We didn't have terms of jannah or after life either all arabic loan words. We didn't have a belief in the after life is my suspicion because we have no somali word about nolal dambe. We were brutes in harsh environment and not religious but tribal nutcases is my opinion. As the greek said about somalis, we were troglodytes and I think he was right about this part of the world. We were half animals and half humans.

We were taught cleanliness wasaq iyo nadif all arabic words, we were really changed by arabs to become 'civilized'. So I guess religion has it's place in society, if we didn't recieve any religion, we would remain animals at best, no morality, and dirty as shit. We were like vikings in horn of africa. Islam gave us social stability and a moral compass, we should be grateful in my opinion.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    The word 'gudnin' though is somali, so this was around 'ancient' times. We still practised circumizing though so I believe we have ancient roots in Egypt or Levant area. We have no concept of books which is arabic term again kitaab or an english word 'bugaag' looooooooool. We were wild tribes I think who left egypt or middle east either one and carried on some practises but had no scripture.

We wore clothes though. The word 'dhar' isn't linked to arabic or indian. But Surwaal is indian word, we picked this shit up during colonial period when we mixed with them in aden at yemen which had heaps of indians at the time. We have words for 'dacas' iyo 'kab' so we wore something on our feet. We weren't totally naked but we also didn't have morality, there was none of this 'awrah' stuff. We lived as a community at a tribe level and trusted each other.

I would love to be a linguist, it would tell you what a society is really about by the words in their language and if it's local or sourced elsewhere. For example see how we have words for everything about our 'bodies' like gacan, far, lugo, etc. So we developed this knowledge about ourselves. The question is the surrounding world and how much we did for ourselves and how much was imported.

Religion was imported to Somalia so was morality. We knew 'fire' we have a word for it 'dab'. We knew bir also so we were metal staged society. That's why we need to teach Somali language and have experts from our own country who study this and trace our history through our 'speech' and pinpoint where changes start to happen or we meet other people.

We were most likely a territory under egypt a tributory state or a client state or we were apart egypt itself, because a-lot of our language is similar and a-lot of our culture can be pinpointed there. Kinda like how britain was a subject of rome, we could've of also been subject to egypt.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    We clearly also lacked philosophy or modern day philosophy in Somalia. Look at this. We have the word for 'head' like 'madax' or brain which is 'maskax' but we have no somali word for 'intelligence or mind' which is called aqli and arabic in origin which is most likely traced from greek itself. So you can clearly see we knew about the head(madax) at some point in our history and then developed further to understand our head contains a 'brain' which is 'maskax' but then it ends and pauses untill the arabs arrive and teach us the 'maskax' has 'intelligence' and then we apply that word as aqli lol.

We lacked philosophy in a large way, we had a huge gap of a dark age is my summary because we went from 'head' which is the actual skull outside to understand that the head also contains a 'brain' which is the physical brain possible learned all this during the egyptian era but we had no idea the brain had 'intelligence' because we had no word for it and only arrived to us at a much later stage in our history through the arabs.

So we went from developing knowledge through the egyptians and then something happened and we remained at that stage till the arabs arrived with their super greek knowledge lol which they translated.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Libaaxseendheer

Libaaxseendheer Pan-african

Ratings:
    +4,689
    :faysalwtf:
    Ina lilah, war dhulkad nagu tirtidhe

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. pablo

pablo Dulbahante Darood

Ratings:
    +1,317
    Very interesting, according to the bible I believe we are descendants of put which the bible says we’re a warrior like people which is very interesting when you look at our history.

8. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    I am looking at our names that can give you a hint also about how 'religious' we were. We didn't even understand this shit like 'samawat' is the heavens, we don't have a word for heavens in Somali so we most likely didn't believe in after life. These concepts came thru Islam and so did alot of philosophical and morality based things that uprooted our old culture.

For example 'waaq' and 'eebe' are said to be Somali gods but it doesnt make sense we don't have any of our names linked to waaq. For example abuud waaq is arabic word mixed with supposed somali god. It doesn't add up to me. I think we prayed to something because we had the word 'tuko' in somali but what exactly we prayed too and how we prayed is another question.

9. SomaliWadaniSoldier

SomaliWadaniSoldier Advising Nation68 VIP

Ratings:
    +10,151
    Only in the middle ages we had the Ajurans and Adal. But before that we were truly garbage.

Before Islam we were people who ate their own shit and drink their pee. We saw impalas walking but didnt know what to do with it. We preferred our own xaar and eating grass.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    We weren't animals, we had words for xaar, kaadi. We did wash I think 'dhaq' but we didn't have any sort of 'philosophies' about internal emotions, intelligence, morality compass. We had words for good n bad like fican iyo xun but we deemed good n bad I don't know because Islam started to transform our ideas about this area and clearly pointed to what is good and bad.

For example we didn't have a word for 'zina' maybe it wasn't known. U will not find that practise in 'bushmen also' a-lot of these filthy things like gays, zina, and all that developed much later on in civilizations not in primitive societies. So maybe we may have been morally the best people since we didn't even know all this moral corruption deveoped in civilizations. The one thing u can tell about primitives is their women are naked and they don't rape them, ask yourself why because it's not known to them? most of this happens when you 'set' laws and people start to break the law. Laws come from civilization or religion.

11. Mckenzie

Mckenzie

Ratings:
    +4,723
    Somalis were always a tribal nomadic people. Notice most names for the wild animals are authentically Somali. We lived among them. Especially the camel which has over 100 names i heard.

The city states on the coasts had outside influence but that came about much later.

We didn't have nation wide civilisations but we did have aspects of leadership and a history of Warfare. I recently found out that Abaanduule is used in Oromo, yet today the Commander in Chief of our National Army is called Abaanduulaha qaranka. :gucciwhat:

They (Oromo) also use Ugaas and Wabar which are clan chief titles in the South.

12. Libaaxseendheer

Ratings:
    +4,689
    Gaari comes from gaar to reach or gaadhi as rer waqoyi say. We were city states each with its own chief, according to periplus of the erythrean sea. The root of the word dawlah is dawala meaning changing as in rise and fall, because such is the nature of governments. The somali equivalent is madax, meaning head, because such is the nature of a government. As far medicine is concerned somalis were practicing herbal treatments, acupuncture, and casting breaking bones even stiching, as was the norm in ancient times. A doctor would be called dhiryaqan, or kabe(kab). Your view is all too simplistic really.
    As far cleansiness is concerned we used dhir like other nations of that time. Considering also we produced frankincense, we were a fragrant and clean people. The word mind is maan. Maskax is applicable as well. That you contrived somalis had no intelligence based only on maskax having two meanings only shows your quite narrow understanding of linguistic development. Poets who recite deep analogies and alliterations from the top of their head i would think requires some intelligence. Not to mention the other categories of suugaan.

Our religion was retained in many of our tribal names and such, those of which that contain Waaq, the omnipotent unseen God. The constellation and botanical knowledge of reer miyi is on par with any ancient civilisation, with names and knowledge thousands of trees and stars.
    And we wore gunti(macawis)
    Somalia.jpg although i concede the heart of your argument. As far as a civilaztion we most certainly were, its just our unfortunate state affairs that inhibits us from archealogical endeavors. These puntite pharoahs were unearthed in somaliland some years a go 20190215_145048~2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Libaaxseendheer

Ratings:
    +4,689
    We had berbera and other city states. Had we rejected islam and progressed with our culture, sure we would have less arabic loanwords, but at the cost of kufr, would it be worth it? Considering that other nations like egypt and nubia were completely arabized, and also considering our proximity to arabia, we have preserved our culture and language exceptionally i would say.

• Like Like x 3
  14. NFD

NFD

Ratings:
    +312
    The nation-state is a new concept in most places. Somalis arent unique in this regard. Most countries today are new and people had their own enclaves based on similarities. I'm sure this grouping into nations will also fall apart at some point again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_state

15. wawenka

wawenka

Ratings:
    +551
    But if you are darood dosent that mean your folks Always been muslim ?

16. Juuqbuuqluuq

Juuqbuuqluuq

Ratings:
    +891
    You said we knew the word madax, then later found out we had a brain and used the word maskax:russ::russ::russ: ama go further and say we still have no word for fikrad:lolbron:therefore thinking was foreign to somalis:russ::dead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    Fikr is an arabic word meaning 'idea, thought'. Intelligence is 'aqli'. We simply didn't have philosophical understandings of the brain, we knew only it was a 'physicl' brain but nothing more. We don't delve into words about 'thought, idea, intelligence' not even other 'emotional' qualities like 'niyad, qalbi'. Research all the loan words in Somali from arabic, they 'add' all religious-moral-philosophy into our culture. The question is what were we before? we were 'ignorant' it's simple. This happens when u lack a civilization.

18. Juuqbuuqluuq

Juuqbuuqluuq

Ratings:
    +891
    You're right. All our words for governance religion education are loan words from arabic. That with no mention of somali before islam, Maybe somali really come from arabs :manny:

19. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    We had a numbering system at least. Eber, Kow Labo, sadex. But it wasn't a written numbering system, we use 'latin' script now to write it but we may have written in arabic prior. So somali had no 'script' whatsoever so we were 'illerate' people. The first thing for a civilization is 'literacy' how can you learn knowledge if you can't 'read'? add to the fact we have no words for 'books' so we clearly were not a 'reading' culture.

Somalis had no civilization and anyone who claims such thing is stupid. At best Somali had numbering, weighting down possibly inherited through 'egypt', plus we had good growth period then where we must of rooted our words thru egyptian knowledge like 'maskax, far, lug, indho, etc' We clearly started to describe the physical elements and had a numbering system and some knowledge of maths.

But after that when egypt went down, we didn't benefit at all from 'greece or rome' to pick up the next phase of development in humanity the age of 'reason, governance, science', tough luck sxb. We sat there as 'brute rock apes' for a thousand years or more till the arabs came and from this we started to develop students of learning where some somalis are mentioned in universities in the islamic world.

20. DR OSMAN

DR OSMAN

Ratings:
    +5,681
    You are absolute in denial. Somalis never knew about 'cars' as it was recent invention and loaned that word from indians who have the name 'gaadee' for cars which is exactly how it's prounced in Somali 'gaadhee'.

Even the word medicine is 'dawo' which is arabic 'dawa' we had no concept of this stuff or hospitals which is 'isbitaal' from english. We had a word for 'incision' or 'qalin' but since we didn't know medicine or hospital, it's clear this was most likely 'circumsion' related which we 'definitely' did and inherited.

As for our cleaniness, I am still in doubt about it and I am not Somali linguist but I assume we knew how to wash because we have the word 'qubayso or dhaq'

• Funny Funny x 2