• This website is being maintained/upgraded and may have some downtime or errors.

Somalis in law field (Law School edition)

Jimmer

Negro Nunca Papi X Hooyo Matalo
VIP
Similar to what everyone else is saying apply for the best schools if you want to make a lot of money. You're black and a woman, if you have decent grades and LSAT you'll get in.

Make a compelling narrative about helping your community, white people sitting in those admissions committee love those struggle papers. But when you get into law school go the corporate money making stream :).

Work hard nothing good comes easy, Inshallah it works out.

I have a family friend who was a CPA at a law firm which payed for his law school tuition and now he is a tax lawyer making bank :rejoice:

RasCanjero

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Thanks. It’s something that I wanted to do as a kid, but then I was pulled into a different direction and now I’ve realized that it’s what I actually want to go into.
Try interning at a busy firm before you start law school. Then again going to law school is like doing philosophy or art in the past. Most just take it because they don't know what to pick but you'll be able to take up any career if you don't like it.

Are you any good at public speaking, debating etc? That's like 50% of the gig and the rest is mainly sales work.

The biggest advise I would give you at this stage is to connect with as many people in the field as possible... apply for summer jobs and build up skills that would make you irreplaceable in the eyes of these firms ... i.e. able to get them more business first, 2nd effective paper pusher and finally potentially great litigation skills.

Desert Flower

I Specialize in Buuq iyo Qeylo.
VIP
Similar to what everyone else is saying apply for the best schools if you want to make a lot of money. You're black and a woman, if you have decent grades and LSAT you'll get in.

Make a compelling narrative about helping your community, white people sitting in those admissions committee love those struggle papers. But when you get into law school go the corporate money making stream :).

Work hard nothing good comes easy, Inshallah it works out.
You nailed it! Although I do want to help my people, I want to help myself too. Nothing is wrong with that.

Jimmer

Negro Nunca Papi X Hooyo Matalo
VIP
You nailed it! Although I do want to help my people, I want to help myself too. Nothing is wrong with that.
Helping your people is the thing to do, however you'll be better able to do that as a corporate attorney with some powerful connections rather than a SJW lawyer in a strip mall.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I plan on applying to law school this cycle and hope to start next year Insha’Allah. I’m looking for Somalis who would be interested in law, or if you know anyone currently in the field. I haven’t come across Somali lawyers, and am curious as to why we don’t pursue the field as much as compared to nursing, social work or engineering.
I personally am but you're British right?