Somaliland foreign minister: "Our children are dying because we don't have recognition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohol

VIP
Failure to recognise Somaliland’s independence means aid that could save lives of people hit by drought and cholera is too slow to arrive, says foreign minister

3500.jpg

Somaliland’s foreign minister has said that the international community’s refusal to recognise the republic 26 years after it declared independence means aid is taking far longer to reach people on the brink of famine.

Though Somaliland, on the Gulf of Aden, has 4.4 million inhabitants and its own currency, army and parliament, in the eyes of the world it is part of war-torn Somalia. More than 1.5 million people have been affected by the drought afflicting the state, and most of its livestock has been wiped out. In recent days, the drought has been compounded by an outbreak of cholera in the east.

513.jpg

Somaliland’s foreign minister, Saad Ali Shire. Photograph: Somaliland Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Saad Ali Shire, Somaliland’s foreign minister, said: “Lack of recognition is proving a major problem. We do not receive bilateral aid. All aid goes to the third parties via the UN. The UN has very professional people, but the bureaucracy that goes with these many channels is huge, and there is a high administrative cost. If we were recognised, we could receive aid bilaterally, and attract international investors – so creating a more resilient economy that is less dependent on livestock.

“I don’t think people took our warnings of famine seriously until the start of the year. It seems the international community does not seem to respond until there are emaciated and dying children on their TV screens.

“The assistance now through the UN is very slow and bureaucratic. There is no lack of will, but it often takes months for aid to reach the country as it has to go through so many levels.”

Somaliland, a former British colony, declared independence from Somalia in 1991 and has been praised for its relative political stability and lack of conflict.

Now, the country’s leaders are reopening a battle for diplomatic recognition, believing that if they can persuade one swing state in the African Union, such as Ghana, to recognise the country, the rest of the international community will follow. The drought, and crisis in neighbouring Somalia, have added to the urgency.

“We have always had droughts, but they used to be once every 10 years. Now they are once every two years due to climate change,” said Shire. “This year, we have had the worst drought in living memory across east Africa.

“The drought has destroyed 80% of the country’s cattle and we are a pastoral economy. The bureaucracy has been so slow that in large parts of the country little or no aid has arrived.”

Others estimate that about half of the country’s 18 million livestock have died.

Shire claimed the Somali government in Mogadishu was increasingly assertive in trying to appropriate a disproportionate amount of international aid sent to the region.

The UK and the US are by far the two largest donors to the UN famine appeal and have been at the forefront of efforts to rouse the international community to improve security inside Somalia.

Insisting that its claim for legal recognition would not worsen Somalia’s existing problems, Shire said: “We have stood the test of time. We have lasted 26 years. We are a mature democracy and country, and we believe in democracy.”

The UN has expressed concern that presidential elections in Somaliland would not be held until November, but Shire said they had been delayed due to drought and promised they would go ahead.

3500.jpg

“From 1991 to 1997, we had conflict, civil wars and upheavals, but we have managed to resolve these issues – unlike Somalia – through reconciliation, demobilisation and better governance,” he said.

Shire said the international community was spending $2bn (£1.5m) a year to improve security in Somalia and questioned the point of giving it new weapons. “We suffer from the syndrome of being the good child. Naughty children get all the attention. The international community seems to be willing to reward failure, and penalise success.

“Somalia would benefit from our independence. We would be be able to share our experience with them on how to achieve reconciliation and prosperity. We want nothing from Somalia. We do not want land or money from them. We want our independence.”

He also urged the international community to rebuff Somalia’s recent call for a lifting of the arms embargo to defeat Islamic militants al-Shabaab. “The place is already awash with weapons. What they need to do is gain the confidence of the people. The government does not need new arms. It needs to collect the weapons that are already there.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ren-are-dying-foreign-minister-saad-ali-shire

Bohol

VIP
The recognition excuse for every failure. :russ::pachah1:

"Somaliland’s foreign minister has said that the international community’s refusal to recognise the republic 26 years after it declared independence means aid is taking far longer to reach people on the brink of famine."

Gambar

VIP
Excuses excuses. These politicians pocket aid money and they are saying they want more to pocket instead of doing something with the resources they do have already. People aren't stupid, they know their intentions. You can't use the we are not recognized excuse. What happened to the donations during the Sland party? These people have no shame.

Bohol

VIP
Excuses excuses. These politicians pocket aid money and they are saying they want more to pocket instead of doing something with the resources they do have already. People aren't stupid, they know their intentions. You can't use the we are not recognized excuse. What happened to the donations during the Sland party? These people have no shame.

I agree. They be looking like this but still be like "gimme more aid whitey" :feedme::feedme::francis:

image3792.jpg

I was with him up until he said aid. Wtf does recognition have to do with aid? Surely the priority would be to build a good economy that can sustain nomadic lifestyle when we are recognised, not be able to receive aid quicker? :faysalwtf:

Unrecognised comes with some challenges, Somaliland should recognise South Ossetia and other unrecognised nations that recognise each other, at least then we have some friends.

When Somaliland is recognised, we need to ban kulmiye and wadani and ucid, allow the suldaans to run things whilst the abaarso graduates become of age

First, he says there will be war if SL can't get recognition, and now this.. I can't wait to see how he will spin the coldoon release for their recognition aspirations.

Even without corruption it's almost impossible to feed an entire country on $350m a year budget. Recognition will make it easier for foreign investment to come.

The present situation where Somalia threatens to cancel any deals Somaliland makes because of "sovereignty" only discourages other companies to make investments.

Bohol

VIP
I was with him up until he said aid. Wtf does recognition have to do with aid? Surely the priority would be to build a good economy that can sustain nomadic lifestyle when we are recognised, not be able to receive aid quicker? :faysalwtf:

Unrecognised comes with some challenges, Somaliland should recognise South Ossetia and other unrecognised nations that recognise each other, at least then we have some friends.

When Somaliland is recognised, we need to ban kulmiye and wadani and ucid, allow the suldaans to run things whilst the abaarso graduates become of age

In his small mind everything is the fault of not having recognition. The fact he is short is also because of recognition. :manny:

Gambar

VIP
Even without corruption it's almost impossible to feed an entire country on $350m a year budget. Recognition will make it easier for foreign investment to come.

The present situation where Somalia threatens to cancel any deals Somaliland makes because of "sovereignty" only discourages other companies to make investments.
The aid excuse isn't cutting it though. I understand if he said we don't have a strong economy because of not being recognized and having few allies/deals but that's something Sland must work on.

Gambar

VIP
First, he says there will be war if SL can't get recognition, and now this.. I can't wait to see how he will spin the coldoon release for their recognition aspirations.
Somaliland has too many looney bin escapees who think they're afhayeen.

waraabe

Your superior
I say no more aid to Africa, let those who are strong enough survive . It's a harsh solution but it will solve lot of issues.

Bohol

VIP
The aid excuse isn't cutting it though. I understand if he said we don't have a strong economy because of not being recognized and having few allies/deals but that's something Sland must work on.

I agree. 26 years of failure is no excuse.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
@Duke of Bohol Seriously... Somaliland and Somalia is not even in the same category, while Somaliland needs recognition to make their current economy boom and make their country improve in all areas, Somalia needs a miracle so it's not the same is it?

You have this misconception that Somalia's failure is Somaliland's, sorry to burst your bubble but this is not the case. I really think you are having some sort of breakdown mentally. :williamswtf:

Bohol

VIP
@Duke of Bohol Seriously... Somaliland and Somalia is not even in the same category, while Somaliland needs recognition to make their current economy boom and make their country improve in all areas, Somalia needs a miracle so it's not the same is it?

You have this misconception that Somalia's failure is Somaliland's, sorry to burst your bubble but this is not the case. I really think you are having some sort of breakdown mentally. :williamswtf:

Don't derail the thread kid. This thread is about Somaliland kids starving and the foreign minister claiming it is because of lack of
"recognition". Somaliland is a failure with or without recognition. The root case is deep corruption and politicians who have no long-term
vision. I have never said failure in other regions of Somalia will also result in Somaliland failure. Somaliland failure is a self-made one,
no one is to blame apart from themselves.

:manny:

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
Don't derail the thread kid. This thread is about Somaliland kids starving and the foreign minister claiming it is because of lack of
"recognition". Somaliland is a failure with or without recognition. The root case is deep corruption and politicians who have no long-term
sight.

Somaliland's issues are minute compared to Somalia. So if you have something productive to say, say it. Otherwise stop saying nonsense like.

"I agree. 26 years of failure is no excuse."

Basically what you are saying is that Somaliland for 26 years have only failed? That is my interpretation of your comment. Back that up please add to it.

So, is the foreign minister incorrect? If they have recognition you and me both know it would open doors. But no you completely disregard it. Okay let's have it your way just to make a point.

Somaliland goes back to Somalia. Does that solve the starvation???

I will call you out on your bullshit acting like you want to have a productive thread, this is simply bashing Somaliland. :drakewtf:

Bohol

VIP
@Lordilord I don't get your point? Are you trying to make excuses for 26 years of failure (no roads, no water , no lights) ? :mjlol:.
I have visited Hargeisa twice (2015 and 2016) i saw what a sh!thole it is in terms of development and I am not impressed.
If you are content with nearly 30 years of underdevelopment that means you have low standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.