Somalia to use proportional representation model in 2020 polls

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaajiXumbo

Always Venture, Always Win
:salute:best system ever, it will mean that any Somaliweynist parties will forever own Somalia politically through coalition and such, again bravo

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is workable but I still don't like democracy in general and prefer a raw clan based system that is identical to the nomadic system with applied 'criterias' on candidate qualities and if it's not available in your clan the required qualities, it will be sought from other clans.

A big village type system is best for that nation or anything that resembles sitting underneath the nomadic tree approach where everyone has a voice and this system comes close to mimicking that!!! where everyone has a voice and can influence govt by injecting their ideas into coalitions.

Mind you the electioneering component needs to be watched especially when MPS and parties are seeking seats in parliament they can campaign through the nation. I mean a party that is 4.5 will basically send everyone in that party to his clan stronghold to bring that seat to their party. They will employ tribalism there is no way around it as the nation is settled by tribes.

The big question however is who will be leading the parties? this needs to be concealed so it doesn't create a tribal vote similar to somaliland where it's all known who is running for each party and ends up tribal voting not ideas voting. They need to ensure they do not adopt that system as it will be no better then 4.5 and parties will just be a dress that is worn. The best method in my view is they name the leader of each party after the results are counted, so the leading party who won gets to name the to form the govt and elect a leader and only then let people find out who the leader will be and his tribe POST ELECTION. If they nominate the leader prior to the election, it will be nothing short of tribalism and not ideology.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
That will leave us with weak coalition parties that'll bicker over everything.

Just like how the foreigners want us.

Not a good start unfortunately.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
That will leave us with weak coalition parties that'll bicker over everything.

Just like how the foreigners want us.

Not a good start unfortunately.

True, it leaves dissatifisied parties which means potential holes in the govt and it's one of the biggest reasons the west support this system around the world, they want a society where there is winners and losers not all winners because if their all winners it will be united and nowhere to get in, no greviances, no nothing.

Having parties and idealogies leads to division and they know it and is basically a backdoor into that society whenever they see fit. But if we design it right, it could work if you 4.5 all parties with exactly the same tribal quota so they all look tribally similar in composition and there is no difference in terms of tribe, gender, region, etc. The system will definitely need to do this because how are the parties going to secure the nations votes if it's just one or two tribe? their will only secure that one or two tribes vote and that's it and not the whole nation, plus it won't look national and looks clannish.

But what is not negiotable is not naming any leader of any party till after the results are back from the election. Cause the people will see the same composition of tribes in all parties and won't know who will lead it since it's all the same regardless and a 4.5 structure. This will force them to resort to voting for ideas now since clan is no longer a factor as all the parties are composed the same.

The only differing factor that can change it is if they know who is leading which party hence if it's left un-nominated till the election results return, that will also remain a non factor as they won't know who gets nominated to run each party till the results are back. It can work but it will lead to nothing getting done.

Having one party the greatest benefit is there is no way to crack inside that as all the people are in one block, you can't exactly use grievances or backdoor to disturb them and hence why the west hates one party states and viciously demeans countries set up like that. One party is what Somalis need in my opinion with various ideas and views incorporated into an over-all arching mission of the govt.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
True, it leaves dissatifisied parties which means potential holes in the govt and it's one of the biggest reasons the west support this system around the world, they want a society where there is winners and losers not all winners because if their all winners it will be united and nowhere to get in, no greviances, no nothing.

Having parties and idealogies leads to division and they know it and is basically a backdoor into that society whenever they see fit. But if we design it right, it could work if you 4.5 all parties with exactly the same tribal quota so they all look tribally similar in composition and there is no difference in terms of tribe, gender, region, etc. The system will definitely need to do this because how are the parties going to secure the nations votes if it's just one or two tribe? their will only secure that one or two tribes vote and that's it and not the whole nation, plus it won't look national and looks clannish.

But what is not negiotable is not naming any leader of any party till after the results are back from the election. Cause the people will see the same composition of tribes in all parties and won't know who will lead it since it's all the same regardless and a 4.5 structure. This will force them to resort to voting for ideas now since clan is no longer a factor as all the parties are composed the same.

The only differing factor that can change it is if they know who is leading which party hence if it's left un-nominated till the election results return, that will also remain a non factor as they won't know who gets nominated to run each party till the results are back. It can work but it will lead to nothing getting done.

Having one party the greatest benefit is there is no way to crack inside that as all the people are in one block, you can't exactly use grievances or backdoor to disturb them and hence why the west hates one party states and viciously demeans countries set up like that. One party is what Somalis need in my opinion with various ideas and views incorporated into an over-all arching mission of the govt.

Was with you for the first couple sentences then you lost me.

Clan politics is the biggest backdoor for foreigners.

Unlike most clans around the world our clans aren't controlled through standard patriarchal hierarchical power structures.

Instead the leader is whoever takes up the mantle to speak for the clan regardless if that person has the mandate or not.

It's usually those with the most money that tend to have the biggest influence nowadays.

Not those that have the best interest for the clan or tribe in mind.

Perfect in for foreigners that want to influence ambitious Somalis that would happily sell out their clan for their own benefits.

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
This is workable but I still don't like democracy in general and prefer a raw clan based system that is identical to the nomadic system with applied 'criterias' on candidate qualities and if it's not available in your clan the required qualities, it will be sought from other clans.

A big village type system is best for that nation or anything that resembles sitting underneath the nomadic tree approach where everyone has a voice and this system comes close to mimicking that!!! where everyone has a voice and can influence govt by injecting their ideas into coalitions.

Mind you the electioneering component needs to be watched especially when MPS and parties are seeking seats in parliament they can campaign through the nation. I mean a party that is 4.5 will basically send everyone in that party to his clan stronghold to bring that seat to their party. They will employ tribalism there is no way around it as the nation is settled by tribes.

The big question however is who will be leading the parties? this needs to be concealed so it doesn't create a tribal vote similar to somaliland where it's all known who is running for each party and ends up tribal voting not ideas voting. They need to ensure they do not adopt that system as it will be no better then 4.5 and parties will just be a dress that is worn. The best method in my view is they name the leader of each party after the results are counted, so the leading party who won gets to name the to form the govt and elect a leader and only then let people find out who the leader will be and his tribe POST ELECTION. If they nominate the leader prior to the election, it will be nothing short of tribalism and not ideology.

The system in Somaliland is constituency based where the country is divided into districts and each gets an an MP... The Trouble with that is that each district is majority settled by a clan whose candidate will most likely dominate from such so the clan with the most land gets the most MPs and campaigning it's based on tribal affiliations and interference is likely.

For example Djibouti bank rolls cisse candidates MPs in Zeila Lughaya and Diaspora clan groups heavily fund their kins men to parliament.

But have a feeling Somalia will follow this model

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Was with you for the first couple sentences then you lost me.

Clan politics is the biggest backdoor for foreigners.

Unlike most clans around the world our clans aren't controlled through standard patriarchal hierarchical power structures.

Instead the leader is whoever takes up the mantle to speak for the clan regardless if that person has the mandate or not.

It's usually those with the most money that tend to have the biggest influence nowadays.

Not those that have the best interest for the clan or tribe in mind.

Perfect in for foreigners that want to influence ambitious Somalis that would happily sell out their clan for their own benefits.

Somalis sit around 1 tree, notice it's one tree not multiple trees? hence why I don't think multi party is a great idea, they are centered around 1 tree with various clans sitting in and participating. They select the best among them not anyone to discuss their clan matters and concerns while referencing the nomadic law and traditions but notice they have free speech and thinking present and even have some sort of voting from what I've seen with hands raising.

So I am definitely a big supporter of a one party state and incorporating clans around the party like the nomadic tree and merging our ideas into one unified and over-arching policy direction.

But I think where you might've of misunderstood me was, even though I don't support multi-party system, I spoke from a perspective if they end up choosing that system, which seems to be the case based on this news report and it's probably as a result of western donors pressure, at least set-up the multi-party system so that it eliminates tribal allegiance and voting in the election.

The only way you can do that is to implement a law that a party can't be smaller or larger then a certain size, it must contain members from every region in Somalia, it must be equally balanced following 4.5 principles, and so forth. We don't want voters ever voting along clan lines and the only way to stop that is to prevent it from happening in the first place by removing any party with clan traits in it and making sure all parties are composed exactly the same and duplicates of each other following set laws.

The second component that is critical is not naming the leader of any party until the election is over and ensuring the elections are simply parliamentarians fighting for their party to secure as many of the 92 or so districts in the nation so they end up with a majority in parliament and form a govt and if they can't secure a majority then obviously they will gather up alliances they need within parliament to form a majority which may come in the form of a mixed government in the end and may include updating policies and merging ideas or taking away previous ideas, it's all negotiation then and may even result in how the government is shared in terms of positions between the coalition and it may even radically shift the coalition policy direction depending on the negotiations undertaken.

It's a very 1960 based system and it can work but it's not the most ideal system is all I was saying but if we must use it at least let's cover our tracks and try to ensure it's success!!!!

In short I want to see my clan battling for qardho across 3 or 4 or 5 national parties. All 3 or 4 or 5 national parties will come to qardho and since all parties are composed tribally 4.5, each party will send the right clan person to the area so you basically end up with 5 different parties sending an osman mahmud party member to secure qardho. So the citizens of qardho will technically see the same tribesman across all parties and be like alright lets just start voting along ideas now since all the parties vying for their seat will technically come from the osman mahmud clan only difference between them is their IDEAS. Do you get it now cause I can't explain it that well and I am not all that great with converting thought to coherence.

But what this will lead to is all 92 districts in the nation will basically have their clan member sent to them who will be representing the various parties in the nation, so they secure that district. Since all parties are tribally composed 4.5 equally, no1 is going to send an Rahanwayn to secure Qardho? you know what I mean, all parties will field the best candidate depending on the district and then it will be a huge fight over idealogy, promises, character, track record, etc as there will be not much else differentiating them?

Last edited:

Farm

VIP
Somalis sit around 1 tree, notice it's one tree not multiple trees? hence why I don't think multi party is a great idea, they are centered around 1 tree with various clans sitting in and participating. They select the best among them not anyone to discuss their clan matters and concerns while referencing the nomadic law and traditions but notice they have free speech and thinking present and even have some sort of voting from what I've seen with hands raising.

So I am definitely a big supporter of a one party state and incorporating clans around the party like the nomadic tree and merging our ideas into one unified and over-arching policy direction.

But I think where you might've of misunderstood me was, even though I don't support multi-party system, I spoke from a perspective if they end up choosing that system, which seems to be the case based on this news report and it's probably as a result of western donors pressure, at least set-up the multi-party system so that it eliminates tribal allegiance and voting in the election.

The only way you can do that is to implement a law that a party can't be smaller or larger then a certain size, it must contain members from every region in Somalia, it must be equally balanced following 4.5 principles, and so forth. We don't want voters ever voting along clan lines and the only way to stop that is to prevent it from happening in the first place by removing any party with clan traits in it and making sure all parties are composed exactly the same and duplicates of each other following set laws.

The second component that is critical is not naming the leader of any party until the election is over and ensuring the elections are simply parliamentarians fighting for their party to secure as many of the 92 or so districts in the nation so they end up with a majority in parliament and form a govt and if they can't secure a majority then obviously they will gather up alliances they need within parliament to form a majority which may come in the form of a mixed government in the end and may include updating policies and merging ideas or taking away previous ideas, it's all negotiation then and may even result in how the government is shared in terms of positions between the coalition and it may even radically shift the coalition policy direction depending on the negotiations undertaken.

It's a very 1960 based system and it can work but it's not the most ideal system is all I was saying but if we must use it at least let's cover our tracks and try to ensure it's success!!!!

In short I want to see my clan battling for qardho across 3 or 4 or 5 national parties. All 3 or 4 or 5 national parties will come to qardho and since all parties are composed tribally 4.5, each party will send the right clan person to the area so you basically end up with 5 different parties sending an osman mahmud party member to secure qardho. So the citizens of qardho will technically see the same tribesman across all parties and be like alright lets just start voting along ideas now since all the parties vying for their seat will technically come from the osman mahmud clan only difference between them is their IDEAS. Do you get it now cause I can't explain it that well and I am not all that great with converting thought to coherence.

But what this will lead to is all 92 districts in the nation will basically have their clan member sent to them who will be representing the various parties in the nation, so they secure that district. Since all parties are tribally composed 4.5 equally, no1 is going to send an Rahanwayn to secure Qardho? you know what I mean, all parties will field the best candidate depending on the district and then it will be a huge fight over idealogy, promises, character, track record, etc as there will be not much else differentiating them?

Rules so far..

Registration of Political Parties will be open until 6 months before the General Election day. According to the political party law, a political party should have at least 10,000 registered supporters and should open offices across the country in minimum of nine regions of the 18. Political party formation requires Public Notary that shows the founders and its Rules and Regulations.

http://niec.so/en/temporary-registraton-of-7-political-parties-in-somalia/

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The system in Somaliland is constituency based where the country is divided into districts and each gets an an MP... The Trouble with that is that each district is majority settled by a clan whose candidate will most likely dominate from such so the clan with the most land gets the most MPs and campaigning it's based on tribal affiliations and interference is likely.

For example Djibouti bank rolls cisse candidates MPs in Zeila Lughaya and Diaspora clan groups heavily fund their kins men to parliament.

But have a feeling Somalia will follow this model

Why in the world would they follow SL model? they already see it's not working. I already suggested how it can work. All you need to do is 4.5 all the parties, ensure their all clan wise the same balance(so there is no perception it's clan owned).

Each party will field a candidate to secure his or her district, obviously all parties will send the appropriate person clan-wise to his home-district to secure it and if all clans are sending the same clan person to secure his district, that district won't look at clan anymore they will just see the same clan-person who is in 4-5 different national parties coming home to secure their vote. They will start to vote along idealogy now there is simply no other way. Once that is tallied up the party who won the most seats in parliament will form the govt and the leader will be named after the elections are over.

Somaliland has a totally different system, Somalia is returning to a 1960 system, I highly doubt it will be any different to that unless A MIRACLE HAPPENS. Somaliland model is out of the question, and is pure social media talk. It may be relevant though at the state level like puntland, jubbaland and how they form their state democracies, that is highly possible but at a national stage that is just PIPE DREAMS as that is a SERIOUS arena

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile

Ideology and individualism is the only route to development.

In a clan settings it's an inefficient environment to handle large projects, trade and development in general.

Also not sure why you're so insistent on getting your clan more influence in national politics when you yourself won't benefit from it directly.

Those fake clan leaders representing you while taking all the fruits of your efforts won't be the best ppl for the job.

I'd say let the best ideas win under a first past the post system that provides elected governments with more power and ensures that no riffraffs get through.

One party administrations are very hard to be corrupted by the western agencies..

China
North korea
Iran
Russia
Turkey

In that order..

With one party state rule shit gets done...no silly red tape politics..and regardless who comes to power policies made under previous will continue growing unless they fail to meet their targets..

Yet another low IQ decision by the magnificent leaders that will result in more nation division.

It should be a first past the post system and only two national parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending