Somalia needs an Industrial Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalayariis

Bad cop
though many bad things happened to those who industrialized, the good out weighed the bad as it boosted their economy tremendously and lead them on the path to economic success.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Culture isn’t going to change so easily, people want money and jobs. Indusitrilzation does just that. When people get money and jobs, that is when they look for change.

Industrialisation doesn't happen overnight.

Both the West and Asia had centuries old industries before they fully industrialised.

Without a cultural shift it would be nearly impossible even if someone decided to invest hundreds of billions tomorrow.

NotAjnabi

Somalilander

Both the West and Asia had centuries old industries before they fully industrialised.

Without a cultural shift it would be nearly impossible even if someone decided to invest hundreds of billions tomorrow.
We need a hard core dictator, somalis are all conservatives anyways.

lalayariis

Bad cop

That makes complete sense, I understand but people will flock to jobs if given the chance. I’m not saying change the entire country at once, but create a small amount factories in several locations just like what England did when they learned how to make textiles in the early 18th century. With that, it will grow exponentially and more and more factories will pop up. There is no need to invest so much at first, just enough to get a few running.

Somalia should be aerially bombed with books. The country needs enlightenment. Only the brightest will rise to the top.

lalayariis

Bad cop
Somalia should be aerially bombed with books. The country needs enlightenment. Only the brightest will rise to the top.
I agree, there needs to be mandatory schooling enforced nationwide. The problem is where to find those who are educated enough to teach? I don’t know if there are many willing to even go back to their motherland, and those that our graduating from Somalia are either leaving or being bombed.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
That makes complete sense, I understand but people will flock to jobs if given the chance. I’m not saying change the entire country at once, but create a small amount factories in several locations just like what England did when they learned how to make textiles in the early 18th century. With that, it will grow exponentially and more and more factories will pop up. There is no need to invest so much at first, just enough to get a few running.

I understand the motivation but unless we close ourselves off to the world we won't be able to sustain those factories.

IMF & the international community would insist on "open trade" while dumping their subsidised goods on our docks.

You don't see it as much in Somalia because our people are mainly pastoralist or sustenance farmers that don't need anything.

However go next door to Kenya or Ethiopia and try cultivating anything that people need...

You'll be out of business within years unless you only grow cash crops for first world countries.

The Asians were able to join the first world because the West couldn't prevent them from industrialization after the years of experience they had.

Africans never had that experience so the west just needs to make sure they never start to gain that experience by making their industries non-competitive in the global market.

Only solution available is to practice protectionist policies to help protect our nascent industries.

However that would end up pissing off the world powers since the value of their currencies depend us being willing to accept it and use it to buy their goods.

Of course you'll need a patriotic dictator brave and crazy enough to take that route.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
Somalis needs someone to grab them by the neck and lead them forward we are to stubborn to listen to miskeen leaders we need some one who strikes fear into our hearts and orders us to respect him within a day all of somalia will change

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
though many bad things happened to those who industrialized, the good out weighed the bad as it boosted their economy tremendously and lead them on the path to economic success.

Let me guess....u watched a documentary recently? lol

felloff

FA'CASH GANG BABY
I understand the motivation but unless we close ourselves off to the world we won't be able to sustain those factories.

IMF & the international community would insist on "open trade" while dumping their subsidised goods on our docks.

You don't see it as much in Somalia because our people are mainly pastoralist or sustenance farmers that don't need anything.

However go next door to Kenya or Ethiopia and try cultivating anything that people need...

You'll be out of business within years unless you only grow cash crops for first world countries.

The Asians were able to join the first world because the West couldn't prevent them from industrialization after the years of experience they had.

Africans never had that experience so the west just needs to make sure they never start to gain that experience by making their industries non-competitive in the global market.

Only solution available is to practice protectionist policies to help protect our nascent industries.

However that would end up pissing off the world powers since the value of their currencies depend us being willing to accept it and use it to buy their goods.

Of course you'll need a patriotic dictator brave and crazy enough to take that route.

don't see why somalia cant rebrand the imf food and resell it to kenya and other african countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending