Somalia at night 2018 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
It has been a year since the last update. Many of the larger towns are starting to show up like Beledweyne. Baydhabo, Kismayo, Lascanood, Berbera, Qardho, Borama and Burco have gained in brightness. There is strong economic growth in Somalia's urban centers. The lack of good roads in Somalia is a huge obstacle because the distances between towns are huge.

For all the hype about Ethiopia, Nairobi easily emits 3x more light than Addis.
NFD is doing much better than K5, and Djibouti is doing better than all others.

Last year
https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somalia-at-night-2016-update.22873/

VU9VB85.jpg

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
It's easy to spot the Addis-Berbera corridor.Eastern SL looking empty like usual

It is easier to spot that corridor than it is to spot the Addis-Dire Dawa-Djibouti corridor. It is the more economically productive corridor although it is a bit longer. More opportunities for trade rather than simple import/export. It makes sense why Ethiopia would be so interested in it.

Strong economic growth? I don't think so. Somalia's GDP has been ranked the worst in Africa for many years, despite us having a population of 14 million. Instead of instilling false optimism we should face the reality that Somalia is in very bad shape right now. That way we can tackle the problems and improve it.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I am not sure what the lights indicate, you surely can't use it for scaling economies, I guess the only thing it can tell you is if people can work at night, an economy that works day n night compared to one who works only day are going to have different economical outcomes. But that can't be misconstrued to mean people are actually working at night just because the lights are on because the economy might not be good in the first place. Lots of lights on in American cities but some are completely dead in terms of jobs and productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.