Somali youth need more relevant skills to get jobs, experts say

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
2020717637305729719956925.jpg

File Photo

(ERGO) – Abdullahi Mohamed Dhaqane, 32, graduated in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in computer science from a university in Bangladesh. He came back to Somalia 10 months ago, hoping he would quickly find work.

But Abdullahi is still jobless.

“I had high hopes of finding a job, of building a bright future for myself and my country, but there is a challenge,” he said. “Degrees have little value here.”

Unemployment among educated youth in Somalia is on the rise as local universities keep churning out more graduates, whilst others return home with degrees from abroad. All of them are hoping to land a job with the government or in major companies.

According to some experts, young people need market-driven technical skills for employment, self-employment, or enterprise creation.

Dr Sa’ad Farah, who advocates for youth employment, told Radio Ergo that the youth are graduating with theoretical knowledge but very few have practical skills to offer.

“The youth are focused on working for others, instead of using their heads to be self-employed,” said Dr Sa’ad.

Experts like Dr Sa’ad emphasise education and training in farming, fishing, and other productive sectors in the country as the answer to employment, rather than jobs in offices and administration.

Somalia’s federal Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, Siddiq Warfa, believes that lack of practical skills is a major reason for youth unemployment in the country.

“Someone without skills cannot progress,” he said.

The minister said the government plans to establish technical schools in various parts of the country, including Hargeisa, Garowe, Mogadishu, Wa’iye, Kismayo, Jowhar, and Baidoa, in order to create jobs for young people.

“We have budgeted for the establishment of these technical schools and we have prepared market-driven technical curriculums,” he told Radio Ergo.

The estimated $12 million budget would be provided by the German development agency, GIZ, he said.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Well he can send @NotMyL email and she will sponsor him as a husband & live happily ever after.

Technical degrees are the best in America for sure. You make good money, it comes with job security and you can start your own business if you get an investment.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
This will seem like a distraction, but what tha! It says you like to be spanked like Donald. :russ::russ:

I do.
1595002008956.png
I have always liked a spank, but i was shocked when i saw on TV a star spanked Trump with a magazine and he liked it

I do. View attachment 132445 I have always liked a spank, but i was shocked when i saw on TV a star spanked Trump with a magazine and he liked it

Yea, that blond with the big racks. Like most wealthy males in America, he likes blondes and bought their affection.

Well, I wish you a happy spanking. Hope you feed the skinny Oday in your cage well enough for him to make a dent on that rear you got.

Somalia needs investment bank. If those young, energetic, ed people had the money they could have created thousands of jobs.

MadMullah99

Boqor of Boqors. The man your wife fantasises of.
There are disgusting amounts of contradictions and hypocracy in that article.

“According to some experts, young people need market-driven technical skills for employment, self-employment, or enterprise creation”

WTF are they on? Imagine saying a Computer degree is not “market driven technical skill” :westbrookwtf:

Furthermore, Why the F Do they keep deceiving the youth and churn out graduates by the thousands if there are no jobs? Either they are sick in the head or have the intellectual capacity of a chimps.

If they were honest experts they would simply say “Hey we DON’T need graduates but you need to start some sort of business in Fishing, Farming etc and we will help you. That is the solution.

There is no simple framework for the youth to follow, and It does not take an expert to make it. My understanding is that some high up Somali traitors and international powers do not want this and would rather see us in a cycle of misery.

And where shall they get a loan to start up a business?

Send One thousand dollars to a very active young member of your extended family and see what they can do with it. Tell them to start selling few items in the market. I bet it can grow a litlte bigger than they started with in a year provided they don't lose the profit. There are people in Somalia who are sitting on a quater million to a half and don't look like they have that much money. All that money earned from small investment they started with.

Trending

Latest posts