Somali words that start with "H", Add what you know. Test your knowhow.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
I think the letter(s) 'Kh' was imported from the Arab

Most(if not all) Somali linguists agree that 99% of Somali words that start with 'Kh' are Arabic in origin. We have many Arabic/Islamic loanwords so the letter serves its purpose.

Interestingly enough, I remember this abwaan saying that all authentic Somali words that start with 'Kh' are ideophones. Khaakh, khiikh, khuuro etc.
Not to mention, there are still some Somali words with 'kh' in the middle, or end with 'kh'. For example: Bakhti, bookh etc.

Imo, just because most kh- words are imported it doesn't mean the "kh" sound itself is imported. 'Kh' is part of the Somali language just as much as the letters 'C' and 'X' are.
I have seen some Somali linguists argue that the Kh, C and X letters/sounds are imported cause other Cushitic languages like Maay-maay, Oromo etc. don't have those letters/sounds, but I'd beg to differ.

Kheyre = Barqad, Barqadle in Somali.
Wixiiba waad isku qasaysaaye? It should be either "Barqad & Qayre" or "Barkhad & Khayre". The "Khad" in Barkhad is Arabic, btw. This is the danger of converting Kh- words to Q- words. Now, we have a whole population who seem to think that "malgacad"(spoon) is Arabic, but "qaado"(spoon) which is also arabic in origin, is pure Somali.

Most(if not all) Somali linguists agree that 99% of Somali words that start with 'Kh' are Arabic in origin. We have many Arabic/Islamic loanwords so the letter serves its purpose.

Interestingly enough, I remember this abwaan saying that all authentic Somali words that start with 'Kh' are ideophones. Khaakh, khiikh, khuuro etc.
Not to mention, there are still some Somali words with 'kh' in the middle, or end with 'kh'. For example: Bakhti, bookh etc.

Imo, just because most kh- words are imported it doesn't mean the "kh" sound itself is imported. 'Kh' is part of the Somali language just as much as the letters 'C' and 'X' are.
I have seen some Somali linguists argue that the Kh, C and X letters/sounds are imported cause other Cushitic languages like Maay-maay, Oromo etc. don't have those letters/sounds, but I'd beg to differ.

Wixiiba waad isku qasaysaaye? It should be either "Barqad & Qayre" or "Barkhad & Khayre". The "Khad" in Barkhad is Arabic, btw. This is the danger of converting Kh- words to Q- words. Now, we have a whole population who seem to think that "malgacad"(spoon) is Arabic, but "qaado"(spoon) which is also arabic in origin, is pure Somali.

Wax isku khaska waa iska caadi. Aniga dee koonfur ayaan ka imi, marka Kh'da iyo Q'da waan isku qasaa. Iiima kal soocna.

Lastly, Barkhad waa afsoomaali ee carabi ma aha, wuxuu la mid yahay xagga ifbixintiisa Khayre.

Btw, waa runtaa, C, X, KH are all part of our native language. Somali is grouped with Semitic languages as both come under Afro-Asiatics. And somali is Older than both.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Wax isku khaska waa iska caadi. Aniga dee koonfur ayaan ka imi, marka Kh'da iyo Q'da waan isku qasaa. Iiima kal soocna.

Lastly, Barkhad waa afsoomaali ee carabi ma aha, wuxuu la mid yahay xagga ifbixintiisa Khayre.
....Wax isku khaska aa:shookgabre: oo khasku muxuu ahaa mise waa hadal adiga kuu khaas ah?:icon lol:

Ha walwalin, @DilLiidWaaKhatar. Qasitaanku idinka uun idinkuma koobna. Haddaanu reer waqooyi nahay, anaguba waxbaan iska walaaqanaa :icon lol:
tenor.gif

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

....Wax isku khaska aa:shookgabre: oo khasku muxuu ahaa mise waa hadal adiga kuu khaas ah?:icon lol:

Ha walwalin, @DilLiidWaaKhatar. Qasitaanku idinka uun idinkuma koobna. Haddaanu reer waqooyi nahay, anaguba waxbaan iska walaaqanaa :icon lol:
tenor.gif

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Khaska = The groin? Or female sex organ? Bal i xusuusi taa.

Barqad=Barkhad. Although i see the use of Kh isn't universal. The name is written in somali in both ways.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Khaska = The groin? Or female sex organ? Bal i xusuusi taa.

Barqad=Barkhad. Although i see the use of Kh isn't universal. The name is written in somali in both ways.
As far as I know, there's no such thing as khaska? Qas= to mix. Also, qaska= like you already mentioned, the groin lol.

Bar= spot, a mark, teach
Taa isla garanaye but what does khad or qad mean in 'pure' Somali?

All I'm saying is that khad/qad is Arabic in origin, and therefore, Barkhad is not an authentic Somali name. Barkhad waa iska dhal, half-Somali, half-Arabic. :qosol:

As far as I know, there's no such thing as khaska? Qas= to mix. Also, qaska= like you already mentioned, the groin lol.

All I'm saying is that khad/qad is Arabic in origin, and therefore, Barkhad is not an authentic Somali name. Barkhad waa iska dhal, half-Somali, half-Arabic. :qosol:

I am a city guy, so many of the words that have dual meanings or more than one meaning can be difficult for me.

Qad = Line, used for phone line
Qad = Ink
Qad = To forego eating, to miss a chance to eat, unintended missing of food time(lunch etc)

Damn! war ninyohow qatar inaan soomaali ku ahay ma ismoodi jirin LOL.

Are you saying only Barqad is authentic somali? Barqad is pure somali word, meaning blessings.

Islaanta cadayga dheer sawirkeeda may kuu fasaxday btw? LOL. She would prolly freak out if she knew that is her picture on a public forum.

Trending