Somali War Horses: The Horse That Feeds It's Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
The War Horses of Somalia

ina+garre.jpg

a 1996 essay by the Somali scholar Said Sheikh Samatar called “Somalia’s Horse That Feeds Its Master”. It has much to say about Somali history and character, but I thought I’d glean the stories of the horses for you. Until the British colonial authorities cracked down in the 1920s, many pastoralist Somalis owned war horses that were used exclusively for defending their own. Even a small clan might have a hundred or more. Samatar writes that there were two types of pony: the western Galbeed and the Bari from the east. The Bari was smaller at only 13hh or 14hh but considered better because its living conditions were harsher. If you think your cob is a “good doer” you should think of a Bari: even when one of these ponies was in work and getting a scant diet of dry grass, it only needed watering at one of the scattered oases every other day. When water was low, they were given camel milk. Samatar writes:

“The Somalis show great kindness to their horses, rearing and caring for them with marked meticulousness. A man talks to his mount, sings to it in familiar language and will crawl on stones under a thorn bush to extract for it a bite of something to eat. … The pastoral Somalis seldom ride their horses for sport, reserving the energies and services of their beloved beasts for the gravest of moments when dear life hangs on a sudden flight or pursuit. Before delivering an attacj, the pastoralists will lead their horses for miles, only mounting when the object of their enterprise is in sight.”

In mid-1990’s Somalia, he adds, warriors prefer “an open-top Toyota truck mounted with a Browning machine gun”. More cheerily, I’ll leave you with some of Samatar’s translations of the nineteenth-century poetry that he heard chanted when he was growing up in one of these clans, singing the praises of the horse:

O Victory Bearer, my horse,

When I ponder upon his glorious triumphs,

And his sublime qualities:

I compare them to the waters of a fresh spring

And the depths of the spring we will never be able to reach,

O Men of God, tell me if, in making this claim, I have committed an error!

“Guulside, or the Victory Bearer” by Ali Bu’ul, translated by Said Sheikh Samatar.

A spear that chops limbs,

half-blackened frm its formidable iron shaft,

that, when it is shot at you, flails frightfully through the air –

My horse saves me from these dangers.

I wonder: is this horse of the kind of nobility as possessed by a holyman,

Who is versed in the Holy Rites,

And when you have sacrificed a lamb in his honour,

He reads you a sublime revelation from the Qur’an,

And showers you with holy scriptures.

“A Horse Beyond Compare” by Raage Ugaas, translated by Said Sheikh Samatar.

This horse is infinitely dearer to me than any other stock,

And I cherish him as dearly as the parents that created me,

And as a beloved brother,

Is he an inheritance from blessed heaven!?

And if I don’t see him for a brief season,

I am smitten with an anxiety of longing,

And come close to dying from a nagging fear,

Is he not my very heart!

“A Fine War Horse” by Sayyid Mahammad Abdille, translated by Said Sheikh Samatar

Hobyo_Sultanate_Cavalry_And_Fort.jpg

The Sultanate of Hobyo's cavalry

Last edited:
Many are mislead and assume the only animal that befriended a Somali was a camel. Nothing could be further from the truth as a somali had deep admiration and love for their horses '' Dhoodimeer''

burco1.jpg

Isaaq clansmen on horses ready to fend for themselves.

Modern Day Somali Horse Men
12410321.jpg

Harti Horse Olympiados long-held tradition that traces its origin to hundreds of years.
P1010416.jpg

Last edited:
I find it interesting, that Somalia never developed heavy cavalry like the middle east. without a stirrup, bit and raised sheet. you cant have shock cavalry and horse archers on the lines of the Mamluks. instead, a cavalry were used to harass the enemy and hurle javelins.

Mamluks.jpg

Mamluk_warrior.jpg

I find it interesting, that Somalia never developed heavy cavalry like the middle east. without a stirrup, bit and raised sheet. you cant have shock cavalry and horse archers on the lines of the Mamluks. instead, a cavalry were used to harass the enemy and hurle javelins.

Mamluks.jpg

Mamluk_warrior.jpg

Actually Somalia actually did had have some pretty cool heavy cavalry Particularly by Mogadishu Sultanate and Adal. Even the Somali medieval armour was similar to those worn in Persia/India. Old Museum had an entire floor dedicated to it as well.

Adal also had native horsemen whose face was protected with chain-mail.

dbf0848f191bf10fce0e2162b8c74a5f_zpse90e2494.jpg

950cd3fdd592dc13b225d193d91e0c47_zps73bc5310.jpg

9f70619ede1ef98d33c450f2afb90164_zpse3df7b06.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts