Somali Shiekh who helped Islamise southern Ethiopia

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
1913, south-east Ethiopia.

Kitab rabi al-qulüb fi dhikr manāgib wa-fadā'il sayyidinā al-shaykh Nür Husayn; a biography detailing the life of the somali Sheikh Husayn, who is renowned for his pivotal role in the Islamization of numerous tribes in southern Ethiopia.

20240323_231204.jpg
20240323_231244.jpg

One of the customs of these tribes was treating Somali visitors very well, as they considered them the people of Sheikh Husayn.

20240323_231305.jpg

NidarNidar

Punisher
The amount of tombs of Sheikhs in that region is outstanding if only the Futah succeeded.

The town is named after what, in some Ethiopian Muslim eyes, is the most sacred place in that country: the tomb of the thirteenth century Somali saint from Merca called Sheikh Hussein, who introduced Islam to the Sidamo people living in the area at the time.

Anajina or the site of the Shrine of Sheikh Husein is one of Oromia’s major sites of culture tourism. It is situated on the border of West Harargé and Bale Zones at the southern edge of Web River. It is 178 kilometers far from Robe along the all weather road that passes through Jarra, and Dallo Sabro towns.

I got this from an old expedition of some American man who visited those people along the way who were on a "pilgrimage" to the shrine. I think these people were Sufis.
Sheikh Hussein Shrine.jpg

This was taken in the late 19th century.

1711240108738.png
1711240112693.png

Khaemwaset

VIP

NidarNidar

Punisher
Yes Oromo did pilgrimage to the tombs of Somali Shiekhs although we Somali ended that small-scale practice ages.
Not really my mother recalls following her aunt when she was very young, in the Somali region of Ethiopia, she was Sufi, it's still probably being done there still.

Khaemwaset

VIP
My mother remembers following one of her aunties when she was young on such a pilgrimage to a saint's tomb, she was very young this was in

Not really my mother recalls following her aunt when she was very young, in the Somali region of Ethiopia, she was Sufi, it's still probably being done there still.
I heard Al shabab went around destroying tombs of sheikhs in Koonfur yapping about sufi grave worshipping. So it must have been in the general conscious of Somalis ig.

I would've thought it ended many generations ago.

NidarNidar

Punisher
I heard Al shabab went around destroying tombs of sheikhs in Koonfur yapping about sufi grave worshipping. So it must have been in the general conscious of Somalis ig.

I would've thought it ended many generations ago.
Not sure now, but it was still done not that long ago, it's probably done on the DL, many of the Tombs are still looked after.