Somali parents who try improve their english,etc to the detriment of their children

Jungle

VIP
Ive seen so many habar trying to improve their own command of the language of where they live through their children who speak fluently due to school and obviously being born in said country. I mean this must of been an ongoing thing because i know many abdis nearing 30, letalone the u25s who cant put together a somali sentence. Bless the parents in who are determined teach their children their own language :francis:

Ive seen so many habar trying to improve their own command of the language of where they live through their children who speak fluently due to school and obviously being born in said country. I mean this must of been an ongoing thing because i know many abdis nearing 30, letalone the u25s who cant put together a somali sentence. Bless the parents in who are determined teach their children their own language :francis:
A lot of kids get sent back in the summer alone to the homeland and get bullied by their family back home and the locals.
Funny story my nephew went to Nairobi and on the first day of school he got laughed at for not understanding English so good, poor guy his mother said he cried in the classroom while the other kids laughed at him :francis:

Jungle

VIP
A lot of kids get sent back in the summer alone to the homeland and get bullied by their family back home and the locals.
Funny story my nephew went to Nairobi and on the first day of school he got laughed at for not understanding English so good, poor guy his mother said he cried in the classroom while the other kids laughed at him :francis:
Im not talking about no africa. Im talking about grown woman like your hooyo thats speaking english to you in your household trying to learn english lol

This is the reason why a lot of somali diasporas can’t speak somali. There parents did not enforce them to speak somali and they only pick up few sentences.

You can’t blame the parents, they were uneeucated on how to pass a language to children. They thought that by only speaking somali to them they would pick up. This works in Somalia where obviously somali is the predominant language but not in the west. Here you must force your children to speak it, otherwise they don’t learn.

Unfortunately a lot of somalis even here in the west belittle those who can’t speak. Its not their fault. You gotta instead encourage them to speak it.

Im not talking about no africa. Im talking about grown woman like your hooyo thats speaking english to you in your household trying to learn english lol
Wasn't there a point where you said that kids can't speak their native language? so I related that to my life. Sorry for derailing the thread :Like:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Both my parents are fluent in English as they did university here and came at a young age.

I speak good Somali because I went back home regularly with my parents.

However, I know too many ilbax eedos and adeers who primarily speak English at home and thus have grown kids who cannot say one phrase in Somali.

Somali culture shames those who struggle with the language. I know a lot of young people who don’t even try to speak Somali since they’ve been laughed at when attempting to speak it.

Somali culture shames those who struggle with the language. I know a lot of young people who don’t even try to speak Somali since they’ve been laughed at when attempting to speak it.
It kinda prevents them from learning the language, I know a guy that is Somali but doesn't speak somali because he is scared to speak or learn it because people are gonna laugh at him.

Last edited:

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP

I agree. Despite efforts of trying to learn Somali, coming from a polyglot family, I got ridiculed for misspronouncing certain words, even though I speak Somali.

Ignorant people need to die.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
the curse of having an English teacher hooyo made me never learn to speak Somali. since hooyo understood English, hooyo and I got comfortable with responding to Somali with English.

also got shamed if I tried to speak. now I only understand but can't speak
:francis::mjlol::kanyeshrug:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

My dad speaks English fluently, my mom can barely speak it however, she didn't really get formal education back in Somalia.

My dad told me that when he was young, he got a book for learning English, and that he would go around Laascaanood and ask people to help teach him English from the book.

Since it was a former british colony, some people spoke English(but not many)

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
idk what’s with you guys and blaming all your problems on others. Imagine being a grown man who’s afraid of speaking his language because he’s afraid what others think lmao.

I’ve been here in Somalia for a while now and people don’t “ridicule” you everytime you make a mistake. There was a guy from sweden whose somali was even worse than mine but was praised for speaking somali despite struggling.

I make mistakes here and there occasionally and sometimes they’d laugh but not in a demeaning way and they’d help me correct it.

I think some random dude made up the excuse “oh I don’t speak somali well because I’m bullied for trying” and everyone else went along with it.

Even if that was the case that’s still not a good enough case. Do you think you’re going to get spit on or something for speaking broken Somali?

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
idk what’s with you guys and blaming all your problems on others. Imagine being a grown man who’s afraid of speaking his language because he’s afraid what others think lmao.

I’ve been here in Somalia for a while now and people don’t “ridicule” you everytime you make a mistake. There was a guy from sweden whose somali was even worse than mine but was praised for speaking somali despite struggling.

I make mistakes here and there occasionally and sometimes they’d laugh but not in a demeaning way and they’d help me correct it.

I think some random dude made up the excuse “oh I don’t speak somali well because I’m bullied for trying” and everyone else went along with it.

Even if that was the case that’s still not a good enough case. Do you think you’re going to get spit on or something for speaking broken Somali?
In my case the excuse of "I don't understand Somali" got me out of trouble back home. In the end my Somali was still qashin, I regret that.

Trending