Somali National Independence Day Manchester 2019 (me reading a gabay)

What ya'll think about the recitation of the poem?

• Total voters
Here is a video of the SNID celebrations held in Alexander Park, Princess Road, Manchester.

Skip to minute 36ish and my gabay recitation begins there, I read Sayid Mohamed's gabay called 'the Death of Richard Corfield' or Gabay Koofil in Somali

Whats your feedback/opinions/remarks guys

Is that seriously you, wow your Somali is great.

As for the gabay, your flow and voice were nice. I didn't understand much, maybe it's because of the dialect.

The habaryaro throwing the Somali flag on you were funny.:ftw9nwa:

Is that seriously you, wow your Somali is great.

As for the gabay, your flow and voice were nice. I didn't understand much, maybe it's because of the dialect.

The habaryaro throwing the Somali flag on you were funny.:ftw9nwa:

Yh sis its really me, one of the organiser ladies who's friends with my mum came to my house and I overheard them talking about their preparation for the celebrations so i offered to read the poem lol

and true the poem is complicated since it uses a lot of big and some archaic words that bewildered me as much as u initially haha, till my mum clarified their meanings for me.

bless the habaryaros they werent expecting me to drop it like that, it was too kuleel for them i summise

Last edited:
Yh sis its really me, one of the organiser ladies whose friends with my mum came to my house and I overheard them talking about their preparation for the celebrations so i offered to read the poem lol

and true the poem is complicated since it uses a lot of big and some archaic words that bewildered me as much as u initially haha, till my mum clarified their meanings for me.

bless the habaryaros they werent expecting me to drop it like that, it was too kuleel for them i summise
my dialect is northern, r u from the south or elsewhere in greater somalia?

My parents were born in xamar, but our roots are in galmudug.
oh right, so i take it you r from one of the sub-clans of hawiye? barasho wanaagsan

my mum is marexan darod from the south in the Gedo region, my dad is from the north, but both have similar accents/dialects

oh right, so i take it you r from one of the sub-clans of hawiye? barasho wanaagsan

Nice to meet you too!
Spot on! Since it's already out there, I am HG. I shouldn't have disclosed so much information, but what's done is done.

my mum is marexan darod from the south in the Gedo region, my dad is from the north, but both have similar accents/dialects

Nice to see people of different qabiils marrying each other:it0tdo8:.

Sol

?
Didn't know Somalis existed that far into the North :farmajoyaab: Do you have a manc accent btw? :siilaanyosmile:

Last edited:
Didn't know Somalis existed that far into the North :farmajoyaab: Do you have a manc accent btw? :siilaanyosmile:
bro there's a massive somali population in manchester we even have our own neighbourhood (moss side) and famous road (claremont road) lol and i have a neutral manc accent its not that pronounced

bro there's a massive somali population in manchester we even have our own neighbourhood (moss side) and famous road (claremont road) lol and i have a neutral manc accent its not that pronounced
Big Up princess Street! I’m coming next year, you done really well cuzzy!! Proud of you, your Somali is A star ⭐️. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Nice to see people of different qabiils marrying each other:it0tdo8:.
Thanks, Somalis generally preferred (dunno about these days tho) to marry outside their qabil to build relations with another clan, its good to marry within the Somali ethnic group but even better to marry someone outside your sub-clan at the very least and someone whose from a different clan family if you can
In future i might end up marrying an Isaaq girl lol even tho there's hella beef between my people and theirs, the Somali Romeo and Juliet haha

ThANKS G appreciate the support, and maybe ill memorise a new gabay for next year if i can inshallah
Inshallah cuz, I’m definitely coming mark my words! If I’m unfortunately no longer on this earth , only Allah knows. The other Dhulbahante’s will see this, July 1st 2020 everyone turn up.
Lions are coming..

Inshallah cuz, I’m definitely coming mark my words! If I’m unfortunately no longer on this earth , only Allah knows. The other Dhulbahante’s will see this, July 1st 2020 everyone turn up.
Lions are coming..
haha i hope and pray you'll still be on this earth come next year, watch out for Libaaxyada SSC

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Wait where are the majority of Somalis from in Manchester. In Bristol it’s seemingly Isaaq.

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Thanks, Somalis generally preferred (dunno about these days tho) to marry outside their qabil to build relations with another clan, its good to marry within the Somali ethnic group but even better to marry someone outside your sub-clan at the very least and someone whose from a different clan family if you can
In future i might end up marrying an Isaaq girl lol even tho there's hella beef between my people and theirs, the Somali Romeo and Juliet haha
I seen a Soudani go out with a Xamar so what’s the worst can happen the diaspora is constantly changing.

haha i hope and pray you'll still be on this earth come next year, watch out for Libaaxyada SSC
If my Father were alive he would be so proud of me! I’m his legacy, Aun to my Abo ..

Born somewhere.. on the 23/05/1930

Yes you read right 1930, my Father had me at 50 years old so you Somali men that haven’t had kids yet are okay .
Females, if you’re in your 30’s time isn’t on your side and before you say I had kids young I’m blessed on that. Have kids and keep it moving, if you’re not insecure or ugly within yourself you can get another one.