Somali Jewelry

Sambuus

Inactive
What is this necklace many Somali women used to wear called? It’s very beautiful.
And why don’t we bring back our old culture and modernize it? We have lost so much cultural clothing and dances and practices, that we practically all do the same things. Somalis are old people and I know we have so much culture.

Also I’ve seen many photos of women wearing the earrings that reaches the chest, it’s very stunning.
ACFF4610-82DC-4115-A801-1EE45A02221B.jpeg
56E1656E-775D-41B7-AF7C-A4BEB6563371.jpeg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sambuus

Inactive
Instead of using regular, modern gold and adorn ourselves with the work of other people and cultures. We really should modernize our traditional jewelry and make these necklaces and bracelets in silver or gold and sell it.
56B3EF9F-FF6E-4240-8967-B406EECE950D.jpeg
7DA5929E-CBCD-48B9-8488-6C4A8763294B.jpeg
B4434DCE-353F-49D5-95DA-7BFE7CD23A5D.jpeg
110DFAFF-A09D-4601-9B4B-36FDABADF9B6.jpeg
49D917CF-6583-416A-AD38-B1C4276D6D5C.jpeg

What is this necklace many Somali women used to wear called? It’s very beautiful.
And why don’t we bring back our old culture and modernize it? We have lost so much cultural clothing and dances and practices, that we practically all do the same things. Somalis are old people and I know we have so much culture.

Also I’ve seen many photos of women wearing the earrings that reaches the chest, it’s very stunning.
View attachment 177376View attachment 177378
That last one:damn:

i thought we were sheiks back then:damn:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
it would be amazing if this stuff became more widespread in Somalia. some of these necklaces have quranic verses inside of them for protection so people consider the necklaces shirk.

Sambuus

Inactive
it would be amazing if this stuff became more widespread in Somalia. some of these necklaces have quranic verses inside of them for protection so people consider the necklaces shirk.
It would be cool if we used these necklaces again, but without the Quran verses, if it is indeed shirk.

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
Is it me or somalis then looked more negroid or black ? Have we mixed or something? Why do all of them pictures everyone is darksin when today a lot of us have light skin???

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Is it me or somalis then looked more negroid or black ? Have we mixed or something? Why do all of them pictures everyone is darksin when today a lot of us have light skin???
its because everyone is skin bleaching. Even in tuulo people are skin bleaching. you can buy it everywhere. As soap or a face wash

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Have you ever been back to the hooyoland? Most people back there are pretty dark compared to western diasporans because 1) it's by the bloody equator unlike your western countries and 2) they're usually outside walking around a lot more than folks in the west. I knew some buddies from Canada who were from Hargeysa and when they went back there folks thought they were "mixed" (they're not in the least and these niggas even have genetic results to prove it :ftw9nwa:) because of how light-skinned they were compared to the locals.

Unlike you folks in the west we Reer Khaleej live right next to the hooyoland. Boosaaso is like 2 hours away from Dubai. So I got to go back growing up and because it wasn't as indoor of a culture as in the UAE and I spent a lot of time at the beach swimming or wandering around outside I remember how my friends in the UAE would keep saying I'd become like duxul after returning to school once our summer vacation was over.

2 reasons in my opinion

Reason 1: most somalis are dark

Reason 2: black and white pictures doesn't differentiate in tone much. A person who looks dark in a black and white picture may actually be more of an orange complexion