somali internet stereotypes vs reality

people go overboard with stereotyping diaspora somalis based on social media on somali forums I've noticed. but if you talk to non somalis (because they will NOT be exposed to these confirmation biases) their perception is entirely different. e.g. on somali forum somali women all marry out, are self haters etc but according to many non somalis, somalis are too closed minded and only marry cousins. and the view that most somalis are wild is contradicted by people who see us as mostly conservative muslim people who kept their dhaqan. Even the ashy abdi stereotype is mainly relevant to somalis. a lot of non somali women seem to view somali men in a positive light. especially those muslim women who come from more "controlling" backgrounds and see them as being more laid back and as the "cool black guys"

so I wonder why all the hate? I mean I personally find the praising your own ethnic group as lame and cringe worthy especially the opposite gender love (somali kings, queens :vqbuyv0:) but criticism goes too far when it doesn't make sense or match with reality.:icon neutral:

Shogun

Waa anaga orodneey, nabad doonaney
There is a lot of confirmation bias at play, but stereotypes are parroted so loud other people are starting to listen. And what we say about each other is increasingly negative.

I agree with you. All this king/queen shit is so disingenuous. Only people that abuse each other like AAs, Caribbeans, Somalis and other Africans seem obsessed with it.

There is a lot of confirmation bias at play, but stereotypes are parroted so loud other people are starting to listen. And what we say about each other is increasingly negative.

I agree with you. All this king/queen shit is so disingenuous. Only people that abuse each other like AAs, Caribbeans, Somalis and other Africans seem obsessed with it.
that is so true lol. it's always the ones who come from broken backgrounds

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Most Somali marriages I hear about here in the gulf seem to be between Somalis. Even when I hear about marriages from other diasporas like among cousins and their friends in the UK or Canada. I'm honestly surprised at how I almost never hear about out-marrying so the stuff some on this site would spout honestly confused me. Even cousins who were once rather self-hating types and whom I expected to out-marry ultimately just settled down with a Faraax or Xalimo. And at least here in the Khaleej the perception of Somalis is generally positive to neutral. The older generation folk seem to sometimes remember how Somalia was pre-civil war and will surprise me when they start praising it and Somalis as a beautiful country (saddens me too, honestly) and also for how generally pious Somalis tend to be while younger people will just say something silly like "Captain Philips!" or say they knew Somalis growing up and that they were nice people and bla bla. At least here, we're not really a laughing stock or anything.

people go overboard with stereotyping diaspora somalis based on social media on somali forums I've noticed. but if you talk to non somalis (because they will NOT be exposed to these confirmation biases) their perception is entirely different. e.g. on somali forum somali women all marry out, are self haters etc but according to many non somalis, somalis are too closed minded and only marry cousins. and the view that most somalis are wild is contradicted by people who see us as mostly conservative muslim people who kept their dhaqan. Even the ashy abdi stereotype is mainly relevant to somalis. a lot of non somali women seem to view somali men in a positive light. especially those muslim women who come from more "controlling" backgrounds and see them as being more laid back and as the "cool black guys"

so I wonder why all the hate? I mean I personally find the praising your own ethnic group as lame and cringe worthy especially the opposite gender love (somali kings, queens :vqbuyv0:) but criticism goes too far when it doesn't make sense or match with reality.:icon neutral:

its all buuq ,most people complain were too insular but Somali forums will complain were marrying out en mass 😂

somali girls need to be banned from tiktok.. mfs say wait till yall see my half somali baby but then clown somali boys for likin a white girl and sayin they a coon