Somali IG comedian praises Barre and clowns Somalis that disagree

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
If you guys are on Insta, you probably heard of @Yoobie_

He is an Insta comedian that I find funny personally but I want you guys to check out his story.

Apparently he praised Barre and is clowning people in dms that are getting triggered.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
What is his clan?

This explains the politics of most Somalis when it comes to this issue..

I think it’s obvious bro.

He has posts on his account from cabudwaaq.

Despite his qabiil, I found him clowning this one girl that was complaining in DMs hilarious.

:lolbron:

Despite his qabiil, I found him clowning this one girl that was complaining in DMs hilarious.

As soon as I saw his location set on Columbus, Ohio, I knew what he was lol

Was that chick Isaaq who he made fun of?

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP

He is hilarious i follow him on IG i know he was marexan from the get go. But his vids are funny so i let it slide :mjhaps:

What is his clan?

This explains the politics of most Somalis when it comes to this issue..

Question

Why do Somalis use the term "clan" for subdivisions that appear large enough to be stand-alone sections? For us, clans are subdivisions of subsections.

For me it goes like this:

Tribe -> Dinka
Section -> Twic
Subsection -> Ayual
Clan -> Pawee

The various family tree branches follow.

Question

Why do Somalis use the term "clan" for subdivisions that appear large enough to be stand-alone sections? For us, clans are subdivisions of subsections.

Tribe -> Dinka
Section -> Twic
Subsection -> Ayual
Clan -> Pawee

For us we just use clans for example my tribe is

Somali
My clan is darood
Then there’s sub clans like Harti then when I go down it’s majeerteen and if I want I can go down even more

Apollo

VIP
Question

Tribe -> Dinka
Section -> Twic
Subsection -> Ayual
Clan -> Pawee

You can't really call them tribes because that seems to be a eurocentric euphemism for African ethnicities like Kikuyu vs Maasai vs Kalenjin etc. in Kenya those are typically described as tribes due to British legacy.

The clan madness in Somalis goes very deep to the point that some Somalis can become antagonistic to a related sub-clan that only split a handful of generations ago. That's why I think clan is more apt than tribe.

You can't really call them tribes because that seems to be a eurocentric euphemism for African ethnicities like Kikuyu vs Maasai vs Kalenjin etc. in Kenya those are typically described as tribes due to British legacy.

The clan madness in Somalis goes very deep to the point that some Somalis can become antagonistic to a related sub-clan that only split a handful of generations ago. That's why I think clan is more apt than tribe.

Fair point on the Eurocentric use of the term "tribe"; ethnicity is more suitable, and it's unfortunate that we use tribe as a metonymy for ethnicity.

I suppose it's just a matter of terms; Somalis seem to use the term "clan" in the same way we use the term "section" to describe larger subdivisions within our ethnicity.

For us we just use clans for example my tribe is

Somali
My clan is darood
Then there’s sub clans like Harti then when I go down it’s majeerteen and if I want I can go down even more
Somali is not tribe it is nation and darood is tribe and others tht come under are clans like ogaden

Technically no your ethnicity is your tribe darood is a clan
Nope ethnicity doesnt exist only nation which is somali and somali is not tribe
If somali is tribe which is lineage then why non somali claim somali and those tht dont have somali lineage claim somali my opinion what u sayig is false
Tribe is about lineage and clans come under tribe

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Question

Tribe -> Dinka
Section -> Twic
Subsection -> Ayual
Clan -> Pawee

Somalis don’t use clan since clan is an english word. We only translate qabil to clan.

You can’t really question us on our use of english linguistics since it’s really just an interpretation of our own language.

I’ve seen some people use tribe and clan interchangeably but what I have noticed is that generally speaking different tribes have different languages and/or customs meanwhile a clan is a very large family that leads up to a common ancestor. So it’s also a better translation to use the latter.

Trending