Somali holidays

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Are there any specific Somali holidays that aren’t the usual islamic holidays?

Internet Nomad

VIP
IMG_2379.jpeg

I only know about Eid and Independence Day. Wish we had more tbh, it would be a fun way to get the community together and celebrate our culture.

Internet Nomad

VIP
We got dabshid
Also Istunka which is celebrated on the somali new year.

I remember reading about holidays which were made to celebrate the rainy season. Do you know what i am talking about?

mohammdov

Hansare Iyo baarsare
The birth of the ancestors, where each clan claims that its grandfather was born at some point and identifies him with the stars
For example, we have our eighth grandfather buried in South Hargeisa when naafcade come It is between June and July
His descendants go to his grave and stay there for three days, slaughtering and doing other weird traditional things
But we stopped doing it since 2005. It is haraam, and the same is true for other Somalis, I think
20231111_202900.jpg

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Do festivals/fairs count? Because there’s a fair thats old in Berbera for trade that brings in stuff from all over the horn/arabia/india. I made a post about it a while back

Internet Nomad

VIP
Do festivals/fairs count? Because there’s a fair thats old in Berbera for trade that brings in stuff from all over the horn/arabia/india. I made a post about it a while back
That counts.

Trending