Somali History Profiles Part 2: Hiil- His life and Times

Discussion in 'Culture & History' started by Samaalic Era, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Samaalic Era

Samaalic Era

Ratings:
    +6,381
    "Noolashaydaa oo dhan waxaan ahaa Cilmidoon. Majiro Buur oo aan Galin,Baad oo aan raacin iyo Cilmi-Xafid oo aan la fariisan.Walinaa maa gaarin heerki oo ann lii yeeri lahaa Wadaad".
    (Hiil oo la hadlaayo saxiibkiisa Soocadeh,kadib marku daawayay qof miirbeelay kalinga fuuqarada ee Magaalada Harar).

Taariikh Nooled:

Many parts of Hiil's life are very hard to piece together. However these are the most significants events in his life that i will share with you today.

Dabshid of 37 SE(Somali Era)

Hiil was appointed several months before to manage the Annual festival. One strange about this Dabshid is that during the festival, a new cloak made by the Royal family, was ordered by the Boqor Laaceh to presented to Hiil, due to his great work managing the festival. As Laaceh himself was placing the cloak on Hiil, shortly after there was a Solar Eclispe. The King's personal advisors were horrified saw this as an evil omen and some accused Hiil of harbouring evil intentions on the King. The festival was ended abruptly. The King did not order the arrest of Hiil but was deeply concerned. Hiil, knowing things could go south, decided to leave the capital and made way for Harar.

Time in Harar:

Hiil travelled to what is modern Harar today. It was an average city that was self governed was neutral. Hiil travelled with his close friend Soocadeh. They were both well versed in local medicine and soon gained fame in the city. The local ruler was fascinated by Hiil and his companion and eagerly invited them to his quarters. Not sure if they were saints or not, he tasked Hiil with reorganising the city and improving its layout. Not long after, the ruler was poisoned by his own wife, hoping to qurb Hiil's influence over the King who she feared may choose Hiil over his step son to be the next ruler. The wife failed to gain any support and was subsequently locked up by the imperial guards under the orders of ruling council.
    The Neigbouring Kingdoms soon learned of the demise of the ruler of Harar and assumed that the Step Son would be the next ruler. The slow reaction of the Kingdoms would soon come to haunt them as Hiil was chosen to become the first King of Harar, thereby breaking the existing political order. They declared war on the New Kingdom.

War will soon engulf the Horn and it was none other than Hiil who lit the flames of war and it was in these trying times that Hiil would learn to exceed his own very limts.

More next time In'sha'Allah

• Like Like x 1
  2. Qabille

Qabille

Ratings:
    +958
    Sources?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Samaalic Era

Samaalic Era

Ratings:
    +6,381
    These are Oral collections in Somali and then translated to English. I collected these stories in Af-Somali when i was in Somalia and wrote them down. Some of the info is hidden in poems,sayings and monuments. There is so much we dont know about Somalia and its past

4. Qabille

Qabille

Ratings:
    +958
    Interesting, what parts of somalia did you visit?

5. Samaalic Era

Samaalic Era

Ratings:
    +6,381
    In Xamar, the elders didnt really know much and so i couldnt get much from there but in the countryside of Galkacyo and its surrounding areas.

Galkacyo, Borama countryside and in the coastal areas

6. Qabille

Qabille

Ratings:
    +958
    Are you gadbursi or Hawiye and what was your mode of transportation?

7. Samaalic Era

Samaalic Era

Ratings:
    +6,381
    Hawiye, Habar Gedir to be exact. In was over 2 trips. The first time i was only in Xamar. The second time i went to Xamar and stayed there for awhile, then went by plane to Hargeysa to visit family members then went by bus to Borama.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted