Somali-focused Canadian drama Shoot The Messenger premieres tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
What the f*ck is she saying?!
giphy.gif
She sounds like she's dying but trying to drop the 'Huwaayee huwaa' at the same time.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
i thought she was doing some kind of african chant. in what world is that somali? whats this show called?
I think she meant: Waa wiil wanaagsan, she added unnecessary Nigerian stutters tho. "UW-WA-WAHWA-HHUE-WIIL WANAAGSAN"

LittleNileRiver

Keepin Southies in check since 1998
Non-Somali calls out the show for using non-Horner actors to play Somali characters (ie. Khalif's mother and the Imam).
Link contains spoilers from the first episode.

Secondly, they cast Toronto regulars K.C. Collins and Karen Robinson as Somali characters. Look, I’m thrilled that two Black actors from Toronto are getting work as regularly as they are and in such varied roles. But with Somali actors in several roles on the show, unfortunately these two were miscast. They could and should have had other roles.

I have no problem with non Somalis playing Somalis so long as they can act well and capture essence of somali culture . Idris Elba and mcnulty of the wire spring to mind here . There are hardly any professional Somali actors let alone recognised ones .you think companies will risk having a cast full of unknown and amateur Somali actors ?.you might as all go home and watch sooraan and jawaan .

LittleNileRiver

Keepin Southies in check since 1998
Shoot The Messenger Lights Up Canadian TV Featured
Tuesday, 11 October 2016 16:50 Written by Teneile Warren Published in Film & TV Read 39 times

474d52ab97f559cf97024390d286c9cc_L.jpg

A sexy, gutsy action-packed thriller, with sex, drugs and intrigue just may take Canadian television drama to the next level aka the Netflix level.
The CBC series, Shoot the Messenger premiered last night with a strong opening episode laying the foundation for binge worthy television. The show follows young reporter Daisy Channing (Elyse Levesque), a young journalist who witnesses what she believes is a Somalian gang-related murder. As the story unfolds over eight episodes, Channing uncovers an underworld where ordinary Canadians are pawns in a corrupt game of power, politics, drugs and killing. While co-creator and director Sudz Sutherland says the show is not about Rob Ford, it’s hard not draw comparisons when the show has many of the same elements as the Ford saga; a determined investigative journalist, a political leader with lots of skeletons in his closet, drugs and a Somali connection.

In the first episode, Channing (Elyse Levesque) meets up with Hassan Ali (Araya Mengesha), a source claiming to have “something big”, but he never gets a chance to give Daisy the info. Gunfire erupts,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I caught up with Somalian-born Canadian actress Shadia Ali who plays Xanaan Suleman, the sister of Khaalid and Khaalif Suleman in Shoot the Messenger. I asked her about filming that scene, being a part of a truly Canadian drama, and how this story impacts the perception of the Somali community in Canada.

672x402pxShadiaAli.jpg

“When you are filming those strenuous scenes you definitely need a bottle of water and maybe a pillow at the end. I remember the cameraman being respectful and giving me time and space to express the emotion of the scene. You could hear a pin drop after each take. When you are gifted with powerful writing and a good storyline, you can just let it flow,” said Ali during our phone conversation.

The first episode does a very good job of establishing there is something troubling happening in Toronto, that a gang may be involved, but that the story you think you know is a half-truth on its best day. Shoot the Messenger features a multiracial cast and a strong minority storyline in a time where racism is often the main course at dinner table conversations. Bolstering this idea Ali says, “If I wasn’t a part of this cast, I would be rooting for this series. Amidst Black Lives Matter and racism in Canada it helps to humanize some of the issues being discussed. It is a good dose of reality. You’re going to see the domino effect, and how important every individual is; how your opinions and what you’re doing really does affect the community.”

I asked Ali how it felt to play an often negatively stereotyped group on screen, “I found it nerve-racking at first but after reading the script I really related to the character and her back story. I found myself melting into the character. It is too personal. I am just really proud. It was interesting telling my aunt in Flemingdon Park, and thinking about Somalis in Dixon City, and even in Ottawa. I know how important it was to put my best foot forward in paving a way to highlight the beauty of the Somali community.”

Through Shoot the Messenger, the husband and wife team Sudz Sutherland and Jennifer Holness, put homegrown culture and talent on display effectively and smartly. Toronto born actor Lyriq Bent plays the lead homicide detective, who is also Daisy’s secret lover. And there are guest appearances from Barenaked Ladies lead singer Ed Robertson, and former NBA stars Jamaal Magloire and Rick Fox.

Sutherland and Holness have injected just enough tension, darkness and mystery to hold the viewer's attention.
http://byblacks.com/entertainment/film-tv/item/1505-shoot-the-messenger-lights-up-canadian-tv

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Non-Somali calls out the show for using non-Horner actors to play Somali characters (ie. Khalif's mother and the Imam).
Link contains spoilers from the first episode.

K.C. Collins (the one who plays the Imam) has also been cast to play the role of a Somali character in 'Mogadishu, Minnesota'. :damn::mjcry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts