Somali dialects/accent map. Which one do you speak?

AarHawd_7

North-West, London
Not even Isaaqs have the same accent, an Isaaq man from Gabilay and a Isaaq man from Ceerigaabo or Ceelafweyn do not sound the same. The first one sounds similar to a Gadabuursi or Ciise man from Djibouti or Borama, while the latter from Ceerigaabo has more similarities with a Ogaadeen or Dhulbahante.

MJ sound different they share an accent with the HG and MX from gobolada dhexe. Who all sound the same.

Ronaldinho

All Praise To Allah |
VIP
Very poor map firstly Liibaan and Mandheera dont speak like Ogadens or anyother somali they have a very distinct accent. Also Garre dont just speak a different dialect its an entirely different language I actually think its just a dialect of Affan-Oromo, Boran in particular.

Secondly I dont know how Afmadow Bardheere and Garbahaarey became Af-maay but that is a great error. There is no Banaadir accent in Jilib the Bantus either speak Maay or some other Gosha language. As for the central regions I know nothing about how they talk but there is definitely a difference between the people I know from Xamar and Galkacyo.
I find it interesting bantus in hiiraan don't speak af maay like most other bantus

Som

VIP
I find it interesting bantus in hiiraan don't speak af maay like most other bantus
Yep. Bantus tend to speak with the accent of the main ethnic somali clans people they live with, since most of them live in lower shabelle and Jubbooyinka they tend to speak maay.
Af maay is an ethnic somali language adopted by bantus, many of them lost their native language. Even bantus in xamar who have lived there for generations tend to speak southern maxaa tiri and not maay.

Fake map, accent is based more on qabiil, than geography imo especially with southern Somalis. This is why we sound similar to degodia more than our neighbours.

Som

VIP
Fake map, accent is based more on qabiil, than geography imo especially with southern Somalis. This is why we sound similar to degodia more than our neighbours.
Not entirely true.
Accent is based on qabil but also on geography
Example. Mudug Habar Gidir don't sound like HG who live in the south.
Daroods in the south are originally from the north- central regions of somalia so they kept their north-central accent.
You should also think about the great internal migrations in somalia after independence, nany daroods who were born in xamad actually have a soft southern accent, i know this cause i have them in my family. I even know an MJ lady in her 50s who was born in Xamar and sounds like she is from Xamar.

Trending

Latest posts