Should the Somali language have been written in Arabic?

Royalflush

novacane
i dont think the english language fully does justice to the depth of our consonants and vowels

for example caano- many whites and west african people cant pronounce the c and when they try its like aano. but in arabic the c is cayn which is the exact sound.

how about dhagax, instead of saying dh they say dagax, but to be fair theres no arabic equivelant for that either.

most vowels and consonants in our language are closely associated to arabic ones , and somali even used to be written in it so would it not make sense for somali to be written in it

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Said this before myself:

Somalis should have adopted a unique variant of the Arabic script. Arabic and it's script in the form of Far Wadaad was the writing system of literate Somalis for about a millennia. It's the modern and surviving writing system with the most heritage in our culture and should have just been repurposed and kept. There's nothing "Ana Carab" about it either. Iranians, Afghans, Pakistanis and various West-Africans use it to this day due to cultural heritage.

And I never really give credence to the arguments against it like "it's an abjad" because you can fairly easily repurpose the script to incorporate more vowel usage for Somali. It wouldn't even be hard to make the shift now as most Somalis, being Muslims, can read the Arabic script quite well.

Royalflush

novacane
Said this before myself:

And I never really give credence to the arguments against it like "it's an abjad" because you can fairly easily repurpose the script to incorporate more vowel usage for Somali. It wouldn't even be hard to make the shift now as most Somalis, being Muslims, can read the Arabic script quite well.
if urdu and persian writing is a form of arabic, and us being more culturally closer to arabs it would make sense for us to express our language in arabic.
i guess when the official somali written language was created using roman alphabets, maybe it was a political bargaining tool to make us closer to the italians and europeans who use this system. ive noticed this trend particularly in colonised countries excluding the arabs, because arabic was way before and was characterized in the quran. ethiopia for example uses amharic which looks very unique and they havent been colonised.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
1614866696444.png

i dont think the english language fully does justice to the depth of our consonants and vowels

for example caano- many whites and west african people cant pronounce the c and when they try its like aano. but in arabic the c is cayn which is the exact sound.

how about dhagax, instead of saying dh they say dagax, but to be fair theres no arabic equivelant for that either.

most vowels and consonants in our language are closely associated to arabic ones , and somali even used to be written in it so would it not make sense for somali to be written in it
No Somali language shouldnt be writen both English and arabic and others non somali languages
It should be only writen somali script nothing Else
Non somalis should learn how to speak somali language and if they cant prounouns somali Word then tht is their fault
For not learning how to prounouns

Said this before myself:

Nope Somalis shouldnt adopt arabic if Somalis ppl want to to change latin script then Somalis ppl should make their own script why arabic why cant Somalis make something for themself
And btw just cuz Somalis ppl are muslim doesnt mean somalis ppl should adopt arabic script

Nope Somalis shouldnt adopt arabic if Somalis ppl want to to change latin script then Somalis ppl should make their own script why arabic why cant Somalis make something for themself
And btw just cuz Somalis ppl are muslim doesnt mean somalis ppl should adopt arabic script
Way more people already know Arabic, and creating a new script from scratch is complicated. Using arabic would be way more convenient for everyone

Well, both my Somali side except my dad spoke/wrote in Arabic. Maybe it could work if Somalia used the Arabic alphabet similar to how the Japanese borrowed Chinese lettering to develop their own writing system ( Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana)

Mmmmm What about considering using Tifinagh, the amazigh alphabet as a base for the Somali writing system ? The amazigh and North Africans are the people in the motherland to ACTUALLY try to write shit down.

An excellent example is the Berber Latin alphabet. The use of a Latin script for Berber has its roots in European (French and Italian) colonial expeditions to North Africa.
Dictionaries and glossaries written with Latin letters, ordered alphabetically and following European orthography (mainly French) began to appear in print in the 19th century, they were intended to the colonial administration, traders and military officers.
This system has since become the most common way of Berber transcription in scientific documents and literature.

But I can see Arabic working because Somalis and Arabs are distant relatives. But my family were simps for Arabs, especially the Berbers. Even Gaddafi was Arabic fanboy. He outlawed the Tifinagh alphabet, but he supposed to be Pan- African (?) What’s up with that ?

Royalflush

novacane
So what if ppl know arabic those learn arabic to understand islam and Somalis ppl should make their own script just cuz ppl k ow arabic doesnt make it right tht somali script to eb arabic
It should only be somali script
And what u mean by complicated did arabs say when they made their script tht it was complicated lol
It can be very complicated still Somalis should make their own script
What is being somali and somali nations what is to be proud of somali
I think This proof Somalis arent smart and educated rather dumb and lazy to make their own things and no i dont support arabic
This why I hate being somali never do Somalis make their own thing whether be language script cloths culture country so on and on
There is no Somali script you fool what are you rambling about :heh: somali is written in English bro at least research the ting

There is no Somali script you fool what are you rambling about :heh: somali is written in English bro at least research the ting
Then somali should make their own
Are u saying somali ppl cant make their own cuz somali ppl are dumb and not smart
I rather choose china or Japani script then arabic lol u and some of somali ppl only choose arabic script cuz allah revealed quran and islam arabic
Even u and some somali ppl Will say i ly arabic names are muslims names lol get ou with your hate out here
Dont be lazy and go make somali script if then then maybe somali ppl are bumd and not smart cuz somali ppl never made nothing language script cloths culture somali ppl only take from others ppl lol no wonder there is identitty cris
Lol even somali identitty isnt somali but only arabic and other ppl culture
And btw Somalis did make their own scripts but ppl like u dont want somali ppl to use but ppl like u want arabic cuz arabic is your hate somali script or even to try to make one like i said i rather choose china and Japan scripts then arabic script