Should A Person With A Terminal Illness Be Able To End Their Life? Why Or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VixR

Veritas
Ethically speaking (religion aside)?

euthanasia.jpg

Proponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide (PAS) contend that terminally ill people should have the right to end their suffering with a quick, dignified, and compassionate death. They argue that the right to die is protected by the same constitutional safeguards that guarantee such rights as marriage, procreation, and the refusal or termination of life-saving medical treatment.

Opponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide contend that doctors have a moral responsibility to keep their patients alive as reflected by the Hippocratic Oath. They argue there may be a "slippery slope" from euthanasia to murder, and that legalizing euthanasia will unfairly target the poor and disabled and create incentives for insurance companies to terminate lives in order to save money.
http://euthanasia.procon.org

EternalLightX

Queen of the light
VIP
Oh god as a nurse this is hard subject as I see the suffering every time I'm on shift the needless amounts of pain killers being administered when patient with a terminal condition have no longer the strength to go on. It's sad to see how some conditions are life changing and people dont get better however ethically I can't agree to it. I feel it is wrong to kill someone even though they are suffering. I cant ever take the responsibility of someone's life in my hands, it's to much for me, I am a healer therefore it is hard for me to see a patient getting worse it's as if I have failed in trying to save a life.

VixR

Veritas
I used to think like you two, but being around patients has actually made me pivot my view to that of a proponent of euthanasia.

I'll write more in depth in a lil bit.

EternalLightX

Queen of the light
VIP
I used to think like you two, but being around patients has made me pivot my view to that of a proponent of euthanasia. I'll write more in depth in a lil bit.
You work in healthcare as well ? Well done sister we need more healthcare practitioners our strength, compassion and knowledge is of value

EternalLightX

Queen of the light
VIP
I'm a lowly Phleb for now, still in school with a longgg way to go.
What is your ambition ? You seem the type of person to go very far, no matter which sector you choose you will be off value in our home country wether that is a radiographer, radiologist, surgeon, general practicioner, midwife, nurse etc. All of these roles we desperately need

Yes! Doesn't just have to be a terminal illness. If you're paralyzed from the neck down, or you require 24/7 help, and you want to die, you should be able to. It should be a decisions you (the sick person) make, not the family not the doctors. If the person is unable to make that decisions then i don't know. Even if that person is suffering, its not up to anybody else to decide weather that person should die or not.

maestro

Cultural revolution
I don't like this. instead of killing patients the doctors should give them pain killers to remove suffering.

if the patient is coward enough to want this then let them do it themselves. Make it illegal for anyone else to do it. There's no need to put that on a poor doctor/nurse's conscience.

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Of course.

We should encourage all invalids to end their lives painlessly.
Thats fucked up dude, you sound like some crazy eugenicist, being invalid doesn't mean that one wants to end their life.

One thing I think that's harmful with euthanasia being legal is that we as a society might not really be ready to deal with, what's to stop doctors from "advising" patients to end their life to save money?

Even if we have make it legal with the way medical science and robotics is developing who's to say we won't have cures for those illnesses?

VixR

Veritas
Thats fucked up dude, you sound like some crazy eugenicist, being invalid doesn't mean that one wants to end their life.

One thing I think that's harmful with euthanasia being legal is that we as a society might not really be ready to deal with, what's to stop doctors from "advising" patients to end their life to save money?

Even if we have make it legal with the way medical science and robotics is developing who's to say we won't have cures for those illnesses?

Bahal seems like one of those people that believe that modern medicine is screwing with natural selection and the overall quality of the gene-pool by allowing geriatric, sick, unhealthy, genetically-challenged people to reproduce or prolong "burden" on society with their "shortcomings"...I've heard it said. It's an extreme view, for sure.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP

Eugenics gets a bad rap.

Somalia could do with a bit of eugenics in all honesty.

What's the point of wasting time and effort to delay the inevitable and draw out a person's suffering? It would be a mercy for them and our pockets to put them out of their misery.

It's a doctor's job to preserve life. People shouldn't be in the business of euthanization. This is why we have palliative care to deal with terminal illnesses.

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Bahal seems like one of those people that believe that modern medicine is screwing with natural selection and the overall quality of the gene-pool by allowing geriatric, sick, unhealthy, genetically-challenged people to reproduce or prolong "burden" on society with their "shortcomings"...I've heard it said. It's an extreme view, for sure.
The thing with natural selection is that variety in the gene pool is important, one huge problem today is that we're so similar genetically that one huge epidemic could nearly wipe us all out besides we have IVF today so someone with a congenital disease could make the choice of not passing it on.
Eugenics gets a bad rap.

Somalia could do with a bit of eugenics in all honesty.

What's the point of wasting time and effort to delay the inevitable and draw out a person's suffering? It would be a mercy for them and our pockets to put them out of their misery.
Eugenics gets a bad rap and deservedly so because it usually leads to massive discrimination and ethnic cleansing.

We're human beings and not xayawaan, we don't put our weak children out in the woods and we don't abandon our old because we have a moral imperative not to. I'm not one of those who claim atheist lack morals due to their irreligiousness but thanks for giving them a great example to point towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts