Saudi Arabia Ancient Architecture

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Saudi Arabia ancient architecture reminds me building styles in PL. This region of the world around the red-sea areas must of used local instruments to build they're building. They must be made of 'stone' interior walls with 'mud plastering'. You can clearly see the 'mud' coating on top.

You just need water, sand and sun to make MUD based plaster. But they must of known 'measurements' of how much of each you needed or they must of had equipments for this. It's critical to ensure accuracy of measurement or you will not achieve the plaster you need.

For example look at this building in Bari

8216cb0414da21173c9ab6808ebd4dd2.jpg

It's clearly influenced by earlier design methods. There is no 'mud plastering' it's purely just stone masonry. It hasn't been designed very well. You find these type of buildings in old mogadishu, especially how mosques used to be constructed. I hope to find the origin point of these architectures but my gut feeling says OTTOMAN.

Where-as when you look at this architecture style using mud plastering, it looks no different to the Saudi Arabian ones. This is clearly some sort of castle and located in Bosaso.

eb511116d3d20f73315d0b8e1705dc9c.jpg

Where-as this one in Caluula you can clearly see the NEW style of plastering which must of been renovated 'lately' after the 60's with modern style we see in Somalia but it's still an old building itself and must of been a castle, fort, or some sort of court building of Majertenia. But do u see at the front the older style building which is clearly pre-colonial.

CaluulaSOM.jpg

I hope in PL we have archaelogist teams and historical department to preserve our history rather then over-writing it like happened to that white building with colonial plastering of historic building. We must preserve the old buildings following the same building styles they were built in. We must zone it of and call it HISTORIC PUNTLAND. We need a tour of historic side of Puntland and the Modern Puntland but they must be kept separate entities and distanced from each other, do not MERGE them like has occurred here.

Let's call it Puntland Heritage sites. Let's first identify the towns we expect to be heritage cities. Well obviously not GAROWE, it was founded like in the 20s. My awoowe was one of the founders of that city, so it's not heritage. Qardho is pretty new itself.

Most of our ancient historic towns are along the coastal areas. The interior was never developed and was very nomadic and rural, the coast-line were our cities and towns and ancient administration point. It also served as trade life-line, diplomatic lifeline with foreign friends.

I would start ear-marking Bosaso, Caluula, Baargaal, Hafun, Makhir(ancient ancestors cemetaries) as places of historic interest for all Puntlanders and there must be government intervention to protect these areas.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts