Sam of Somalia YouTube channel

Apollo

VIP
I thought this guy was just a meme :samwelcome:

But apparently the dude is making a serious effort in learning the Somali language and culture. I highly recommend viewing some of his videos:

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Reminds me of this shit

“Mum, I’ve met a girl who I like”…

The above sentence is one which, generally speaking, means two quite different things for the Muslim and the non-Muslim. To the Muslims it usually means that the speaker has been considering marriage for a little while and has met another Muslim who he would like to marry. To the non-Muslim in the UK, the phrase usually means that the speaker has probably met up with a girl a few times and is considering letting his mum meet her.

However, as a Muslim saying it to a non-Muslim mother, it managed to conjure up a whole range of other emotions and ideas. From a culture where all of my family members take relationships in their own paces and have relationships less casual then marriage, I can only applaud my mothers controlled response. As I began telling my mother, my sister Penny, turned around from watching TV on the sofa and the two of them said in unison a beautiful whilst bizzare confession:

“I hope she is black”

My mother and sister have found black children so adorable for as long as I can remember. Walking through a park in Northampton we once saw an Ethiopian family with two beautiful daughters and my sister turned to me and said: “Can you have kids who look like that, please?”, “Even just of a biological level, Penny, No I cannot”. I replied. But by marrying a Somali lady I have managed to give my mother and sister the hopes of a dark skinned baby and that alone allowed me to start the marriage conversations with my liberal, middle class, white, non-Muslim mother with great success.

There were concerns in the early marriage discussions, however, that language barrier between my family and hers would be an issue. Or even that we have different cultures even though we share a religion. But those ideas were dispelled rather early after my mother and sister had sat down on the floor at my in-law’s place eating bariis, sambus, hilib and baasto with one hand, holding a banana in the other. The fear of marrying into another culture had become an excitement of new foods, new cloths new language all of which my family have come to embrace with open arms. On my Instagram you can find a picture of my little sister wearing a Somali dress at our Waliima and my mother wore much the same.

Likewise, my wife and her family have invested effort to learn our language and culture. My wife, for example loves my family’s roast dinner. My grandma’s stuffing is her favourite. Thankfully, despite the mixed responses to intercultural marriage within our communities, my “Mum, Ive met a girl who I like”, became my mum’s “Sam, You have met a girl we like”.

reer

VIP
A little known fact: he started studying Arabic and Somali before he met his wife. Especially that he was studying Af-Somali before dating a Somali is kind of shocking.
Hehe, yes and no. I knew what he was up to for some time, but only recently discovered he was serious with his endeavors.
he should open up a dhaqan celis camp for ciyaap baraf who can't hold a conversation with their grandparents

Trending