Ruins discovered under Masjid in Shangaani

Status
Not open for further replies.
any idea what era it's from?

what are the ruins? the title of the second vidoes reads "house and masjid found underneath shangaani district"

so they found an ancient masjid/house in the place where a new masjid was being built?
I know as much as you, just watched the videos. Apparently they found that portion underneath the masjid as they were getting ready to rebuild it.
Not to be rude or anything but how’s this impressive?
:ayaanswag:
@Axmed Xaaji I thought you were being negative bc its a masjid, my mistake if thats not how you meant it.

Last edited:

saywalahi

Xamar Living
the stairs look kinda modern
yea i was thinking that as well, but not super modern like late 1990's

i'm thinking the mosque is split into two from what i'm seeing

the stair portion and upper floor are modern 1930's-1960's, but the bottom level looks like it been there for a while and the stairs were added only recently(1930's-1960's). Bottom part looks to me something from mid to late 1800's.

saywalahi

Xamar Living
almost everything was destroyed during the civil war no way a complete mosque would be buried deep in the ground. definitely more ancient than civil war era.

but this is just theories experts will have to determine how old it is.

saywalahi

Xamar Living
Archaeologists examined it in the 80's. "It seems that the Mosque is the oldest known Islamic monument in Mogadishu"

Excavation of Shangani Mosque - Museum Development and Antiquities Preservation
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0007/000706/070668eo.pdf
wait you're telling me that this mosque was found during the 80's but got lost again cuz of the civil war.

wow. thats super interesting, so i was partially right the upper level was built in the 80's, but the bottom floor is super ancient.

wait you're telling me that this mosque was found during the 80's but got lost again cuz of the civil war.

wow. thats super interesting, so i was partially right the upper level was built in the 80's, but the bottom floor is super ancient.
It was never lost they just excavated it in the 80's. All of it is old but throughout the centuries they would build over it.
3A14003C-B68B-4FEC-9A9E-5353F02F8A8F-1943-000002B555212367.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts