Rise in cost of living in Somalia (since February)

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The cost of living for a family of 6 by state.
Source: https://fsnau.org/sectors/markets

Guide to understanding the data:
Quantity guide.png

Food
food.png

Non-Food

Non-Food.png

Total Basket
total basket.png

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Some observations:
  • Awdal's food cost is surprising given how close it is to Ethiopia, and the ports at Djibouti & Berbera.
  • It is surprising how high the cost of living in Sool is given that the state is linked by road to Bosaso and Berbera.
  • The price of food in Bay has not gone up much, but famines is about to be declared there. This means that the people of Bay are living on the edge of subsistence, tiny increases in prices will push hundreds of thousands into starvation.
  • States north of Mudug seem to have higher prices than those further south. This is surprising because the north has open roads, working ports and access to the Ethiopian market.
  • Merchants importing food in Woqoyie Galbeed & Bari are setting prices as a cartel, nothing else explains why the prices in these states with ports are so high.

So many factors have contributed to the high cost of food.

- Ukrainian/Russian War

- Drought

- Blocked roads because of Alshabab/isbaaro/ high taxes

When I was in Galkacyo, fruits from Beledweyn, which used to come regularly by road were reduced because of Alshabab.

Some observations:
  • Awdal's food cost is surprising given how close it is to Ethiopia, and the ports at Djibouti & Berbera.
  • It is surprising how high the cost of living in Sool is given that the state is linked by road to Bosaso and Berbera.
  • The price of food in Bay has not gone up much, but famines is about to be declared there. This means that the people of Bay are living on the edge of subsistence, tiny increases in prices will push hundreds of thousands into starvation.
  • States north of Mudug seem to have higher prices than those further south. This is surprising because the north has open roads, working ports and access to the Ethiopian market.
  • Merchants importing food in Woqoyie Galbeed & Bari are setting prices as a cartel, nothing else explains why the prices in these states with ports are so high.
Could the food aid arriving to Bay reduce the market price? I can't imagine cost of food going down during a famine, it can only be caused by abundant source of cheap food/free food or someone is tampering with the numbers.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
Could the food aid arriving to Bay reduce the market price? I can't imagine cost of food going down during a famine, it can only be caused by abundant source of cheap food/free food or someone is tampering with the numbers.
Low likelihood of this being accurate. There’s not a single ‘open’ road in Bay. Anyone doing surveys will me confined to a few districts and IDP camps

Trending