Refusing to shake hands with the opposite gender

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS A QUESTION TO THE MUSLIMS
Have you ever had awkward moments where you've refused to shake hands with the opposite gender? How did you tell them that you cannot shake hands with them?

For me, I just say "sorry but I cannot shake your hands because of religious reasons".
In the past I had many moments where I've refused to shake men's hands so I'm not shy to tell them that I cannot shake their hands. Many are fine with it. My most awkward moment was when I was in my graduation ceremony, and I was about to collect my degree certificate the University chancellor was handing out the certificate and my name was shouted out and it was my turn to go up to the stage I went to the stage and I had to quickly tell the University chancellor why I cannot shake his hands it was a bit nerve-racking because there were lots of people in the graduation hall.
What about you?

the Ahmedinejad method is the way to go
roflbot.jpg

No, I give shake hands with both men and women, it is a basic sign of respect
Just because I don't shake hands with the opposite gender does not mean that I am being disrespeful. I can show respect in many forms. My religion prohipts me from shaking hands with the opposite gender and people should respect that.

For a man to shake hands with a non-mahram woman (one to whom he is not related) is haraam and is not permitted at all. Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).

THIS IS A QUESTION TO THE MUSLIMS
Have you ever had awkward moments where you've refused to shake hands with the opposite gender? How did you tell them that you cannot shake hands with them?

For me, I just say "sorry but I cannot shake your hands because of religious reasons".
In the past I had many moments where I've refused to shake men's hands so I'm not shy to tell them that I cannot shake their hands. Many are fine with it. My most awkward moment was when I was in my graduation ceremony, and I was about to collect my degree certificate the University chancellor was handing out the certificate and my name was shouted out and it was my turn to go up to the stage I went to the stage and I had to quickly tell the University chancellor why I cannot shake his hands it was a bit nerve-racking because there were lots of people in the graduation hall.
What about you?

You should've just did the Asian nod.

At my job, I don't shake hands with the opposite gender. I just put my hand over my heart or I do the Asian nod.

I don't like to shake hands cuz I don't trust what these people do with their hands tbh.

black

live and let die.
Although I have never refused to shake a woman's hand, bless you OP :friendhug:

I can already imagine any job/career prospects hitting 0 after I refuse the interviewers handshake. I think it's considered more offensive if a man refuses a woman than vice versa.

At my job, I don't shake hands with the opposite gender. I just put my hand over my heart or I do the Asian nod.

I'm thinking about doing the same to all genders because, I don't trust what these people do with their hands tbh.

Never even thought of that, Asian master race

Although I have never refused to shake a woman's hand, bless you OP :friendhug:

I can already imagine any job/career prospects hitting 0 after I refuse the interviewers handshake. I think it's considered more offensive if a man refuses a woman than vice versa.

Never even thought of that, Asian master race

At first, shake your interviewer's hands just to secure the job :pachah1:

Then after that, just do the Asian nod and hand over heart gesture :drakekidding:

TooMacaan

VIP
Future president(after Trump's impeachment), Mike Pence doesn't shake hands with women.
I tried searching that up but I'm only getting hits that say he just doesn't dine alone with women (with the exception of his wife, obv) as a rule. Is his refusal to shake hands with women a consistent thing or was it that one time with H.Clinton?

I tried searching that up but I'm only getting hits that say he just doesn't dine alone with women (with the exception of his wife, obv) as a rule. Is his refusal to shake hands with women a consistent thing or was it that one time with H.Clinton?
I honestly don't remembre when I read it, or heard it. it could be a lie but I think u can cite non religious reasons to justify why u dont want to shake ur hand with the opposite sex. I know westerners aren't as clean wallhi. I see grown men who shit and don't wash their hands in the bathroom. i ain't shaking his hand.

TooMacaan

VIP
I honestly don't remembre when I read it, or heard it. it could be a lie but I think u can cite non religious reasons to justify why u dont want to shake ur hand with the opposite sex. I know westerners aren't as clean wallhi. I see grown men who shit and don't wash their hands in the bathroom. i ain't shaking his hand.
Like what...? The second scenario you presented isn't exclusive to women though; Westerners include males as well. I can totally understand if a person refused to shake my hand because they are paranoid about cleanliness or something (like that Howe guy from "Deal or No Deal" with the fear of germs) and I would respect their decision since they'd also treat everyone else like that (it's a consistent rule).
Someone refusing to shake my hand *solely* because I happened to be born with a vagina, however, is plain ridiculous imo. What is the logical justification of that rule? Shaking hands is more of a professional thing, it's not hugging or even something personal/s-xual...

dr.leorio

death\emitter

I don't like to shake hands cuz I don't trust what these people do with their hands tbh.

Same here, at my job the cadaans are pretty gross so I never shake hands. I always smile and do the Asian nod. I've never really had a problem with telling people I can't since I'm introverted anyways and besides I don't like strangers touching me at all.

Same here, at my job the cadaans are pretty gross so I never shake hands. I always smile and do the Asian nod. I've never really had a problem with telling people I can't since I'm introverted anyways and besides I don't like strangers touching me at all.

They use the washroom and don't clean their hands and expect you to shake it :susp:

dr.leorio

death\emitter
They use the washroom and don't clean their hands and expect you to shake it :susp:

Exactly and they don't use any water in the toilet at all, just one-ply tissue. They don't bathe often and they eat disgusting forms of pig that is known to carry parasites. Touching them is a risk i'm not gotta take :hova:

VixR

Veritas
I would shake hands, and then when I started practice I wouldn't and would also tell them why I wouldn't, and then now, of course I'm back to myself.

My cousins' mom uses the barrier method. She'll shake the hand using the tail end of her headscarf as a barrier. I think that can be construed as more offensive than not shaking at all tbh

Genie

The last suugo bender
Even as a muslim woman i still shake hands with men (in formal occasions , job interviews etc) , i interpreted that hadith as touch (inappropriately) rather than a general touch.

:cosbyhmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts