Rape, beating, and discrimination face internally placed people in Mogadishu by government militias

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stood out to me, a father can't even ask for justice for his daughter:

"Among the many problems in the camps perhaps the most threatening is sexual violence. Displaced women and girls face a significant risk of rape in Mogadishu. They told Human Rights Watch that rape usually occurred at night in the huts. Even Badbaado, one of the few government-run IDP camps in the city, was not safe. Several women described being raped by armed men in uniform, some of whom were identified as government soldiers. Many victims of sexual violence never report their experiences to the authorities, fearing reprisals from the perpetrators, wary of the social stigma associated with sexual violence, and having little confidence that the authorities will respond. As the father of a young woman who was raped by four men in government military uniform said: “We don’t know anyone here, we are new to Mogadishu. So we didn’t try to go to justice, because the commander was harassing us at the time my daughter was raped. So how I can trust anyone here? We must keep silent.” Those that do speak out find few options for protection, medical assistance, or redress."

Digusting practice :susp:

Read the full rapport at: https://www.hrw.org/report/2013/03/...gainst-internally-displaced-mogadishu-somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending