Rampant torture in UAE’s ‘Abu Ghraib’ prisons in Yemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
resized_18a1d-72bf1b47resized_84717fab7cbe4ws1.jpg

Drawing depicts UAE torture in Yemeni prisons
Routine torture and sexual abuse are two of the horrific widespread practices being conducted in detention centers run by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in Yemen, according to drawings smuggled from inside a prison in the southern city of Aden.

The drawings, which offer a glimpse into a world of human rights violations, were smuggled from the UAE-run Beir Ahmed prison where Yemeni detainees held without charge are tortured and sexually abused on a daily basis.

The UAE, a top U.S. ally in the Middle East, runs several secret prisons in the impoverished Arab Peninsula country.

resized_a4637-d7cb0d78resized_95edbe5a9e105baeiskence1.jpg

The chilling drawings, obtained by the Associated Press, are reminiscent of the torture practices carried out in U.S. prisons in Iraq following the 2003 invasion, which was made public after photos depicting shocking torture and sexual abuse were released, prompting many to label the scandalous reveal as UAE’s own “Abu Ghraib,” in reference to the notorious American-run prison in Iraq.

Sexual violence is a primary tool aimed at brutalizing the detainees and extracting "confessions," the artist and six other detainees told the AP.

The drawings — penned on Styrofoam plates — portray shocking images like a man hanging naked from chains while he being subjected to electric shocks, another inmate on the floor surrounded by snarling dogs as several people kick him, and graphic depictions of anal rape.

A former security chief who was involved in the torture told the AP that rape is used as a way to force detainees to cooperate with the Emiratis in spying.

Emiratis arrested hundreds of Yemeni men on suspicion of being al-Qaeda or Daesh terrorists. The prisoners are being held without charges or trials in at least 18 hidden prisons.

Last year, American officials confirmed that the U.S. has interrogated detainees at UAE’s secret prisons. However, the Pentagon insisted that it is not aware of human rights abuses in these facilities.

resized_88d07-c75c4206resized_5632302281aedbaeiskence3.jpeg

The conflict in war-torn Yemen escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia, UAE and Sunni-Arab allies -- who accuse the Houthis of serving as proxies for Shia Iran -- launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

The following year, UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait failed to end the destructive conflict.

The ongoing violence has devastated Yemen’s infrastructure, including water and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.

:dwill:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Torture doesn't work, you will tell them whatever they want to hear. Because the torturer wants something from you 'information' and regardless what you say or information you divulge, if he isn't satisfied with it, he will let the dogs out on you. So you will just say whatever in the end so the torture stops even giving inaccurate information.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The other thing about torture is, the information the person is concealing may mean more to him then any torture you apply. I would go through all torture processes before I divulge any information that may harm my family for example or kids or parents because they mean more to me then any torture technique you apply. For example a rational person will say if you divulge information about your parents and kids who you care about and the harm that comes to them is it worth it or should I just battle through with the torture and not say anything. Most will end up just saying the torture is better then harming what I care about. What they care about might be protecting their leaders, terrorists, idealogy their fighting for.

I know I will bite through as hard as I can through the pain of torture if it meant trading or selling out someone I loved dearly like my children or parents or siblings or relatives or close friends and heck if you kill me well there is no pain in death, thanks for putting me to sleep.

It's crazy how these backward third world nutcases operate no wonder their third world. I guess the west has realized torture doesn't work because people lay out options sell out what u love or put up with the pain? that's what it boils down too.

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
resized_18a1d-72bf1b47resized_84717fab7cbe4ws1.jpg

Drawing depicts UAE torture in Yemeni prisons
Routine torture and sexual abuse are two of the horrific widespread practices being conducted in detention centers run by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in Yemen, according to drawings smuggled from inside a prison in the southern city of Aden.

The drawings, which offer a glimpse into a world of human rights violations, were smuggled from the UAE-run Beir Ahmed prison where Yemeni detainees held without charge are tortured and sexually abused on a daily basis.

The UAE, a top U.S. ally in the Middle East, runs several secret prisons in the impoverished Arab Peninsula country.

resized_a4637-d7cb0d78resized_95edbe5a9e105baeiskence1.jpg

The chilling drawings, obtained by the Associated Press, are reminiscent of the torture practices carried out in U.S. prisons in Iraq following the 2003 invasion, which was made public after photos depicting shocking torture and sexual abuse were released, prompting many to label the scandalous reveal as UAE’s own “Abu Ghraib,” in reference to the notorious American-run prison in Iraq.

Sexual violence is a primary tool aimed at brutalizing the detainees and extracting "confessions," the artist and six other detainees told the AP.

The drawings — penned on Styrofoam plates — portray shocking images like a man hanging naked from chains while he being subjected to electric shocks, another inmate on the floor surrounded by snarling dogs as several people kick him, and graphic depictions of anal rape.

A former security chief who was involved in the torture told the AP that rape is used as a way to force detainees to cooperate with the Emiratis in spying.

Emiratis arrested hundreds of Yemeni men on suspicion of being al-Qaeda or Daesh terrorists. The prisoners are being held without charges or trials in at least 18 hidden prisons.

Last year, American officials confirmed that the U.S. has interrogated detainees at UAE’s secret prisons. However, the Pentagon insisted that it is not aware of human rights abuses in these facilities.

resized_88d07-c75c4206resized_5632302281aedbaeiskence3.jpeg

The conflict in war-torn Yemen escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia, UAE and Sunni-Arab allies -- who accuse the Houthis of serving as proxies for Shia Iran -- launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

The following year, UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait failed to end the destructive conflict.

The ongoing violence has devastated Yemen’s infrastructure, including water and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.

:dwill:
Arabs are so gay why they always like to strip men naked to torture them sick bastards:draketf:

You made it seem as if he specifically targeted arabs, which he did not. All rebels were put down.

But he killed a people that really didn't care much until their city was seeing violence everyday.

I really don't care at the end of the day but every dictatorship massacres minorities. Its not because you're a Somali, Jew, Gypsies or Arab, its because ganging up on a minority unites the majority.

Do you see where I am coming from?

White

Sippin tea in yo hood. PS IM A DUDE
But he killed a people that really didn't care much until their city was seeing violence everyday.

I really don't care at the end of the day but every dictatorship massacres minorities. Its not because you're a Somali, Jew, Gypsies or Arab, its because ganging up on a minority unites the majority.

Do you see where I am coming from?
He put down rebels. Rebels deserve to be put down for destroying somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.