Queensland (Somali) woman denies taking daughters to Somalia to undergo genital mutilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queensland is in Australia.

A Queensland woman has pleaded not guilty to two female genital mutilation charges against children.

A woman accused of sending her daughters to Somalia to undergo genital mutilation has pleaded not guilty in a Queensland court.

The defendant faces two charges of removing a child for genital mutilation - in the first prosecution of its type in Queensland.

The woman allegedly took the two girls, aged nine and 12, to Somalia in April 2015.

The defendant and the daughters cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Crown prosecutor Dejana Kovac told the court the two young Australian-born girls went to Somalia for the first time ostensibly on a holiday with their mother and two other siblings.

When the children returned to Australia in November 2015, they were interviewed separately by police.

The court was closed to the public and media while the interviews were played, but the prosecution said the eldest described an unknown female doctor “did something” that “caused pain for a number of days” while the youngest was more reluctant to talk.

The eldest told police their mother was present during the procedure, they were not sedated and the pain was in the part of the body used to urinate.

Ms Kovac told the court a medical examination of both girls performed shortly after their return supports the charge they underwent female genital mutilation, which included a reduction of the clitoral hood.

The jury heard there was a previous trial of the case in October 2017, in which another prosecutor asked the girls about what happened.

Ms Kovac said the girls by this time were living back with their parents and under cross-examination denied any procedure had taken place, saying they had be told to lie by their elder sister.

Instead they gave evidence they had suffered from skin rashes all over their bodies during the trip

Ms Kovac told the jury they should ignore this evidence.

Evidence will be heard from 10 witnesses for the jury trial in the District Court, which is expected to finish by the end of the week.

The Queensland law carries a maximum penalty of 14 years jail.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/queensl...ters-to-somalia-to-undergo-genital-mutilation

Queensland (Somali) woman guilty over daughters’ genital mutilation in landmark prosecution.

The woman was found guilty in a court on two charges of removing a child from Queensland for genital mutilation.

A Queensland woman has been found guilty of taking her two daughters to Somalia to undergo female genital mutilation - the first prosecution of its type in the state.

A jury took just over an hour to find the Somali-born woman took her two daughters, then aged nine and 12, to the African country in 2015 for the procedure.

Sentencing for the 45-year-old woman has been adjourned for a date yet to be fixed but she faces up to 14 years in jail.

Her defence lawyer asked for sentencing to be deferred because his client has cancer that has spread through her body to her armpit.

The 45-year-old woman pleaded “not guilty” in the Queensland District Court to the two charges on Monday.

In summing up the case, prosecutor Dejana Kovac told the jury “female genital mutilation has no medical benefits whatsoever”.

“In her recorded interview with the police, she said she would do anything for her children, but obviously not anything to protect them, in fact she did quite the opposite, and dehumanised them in one of the worst ways imaginable.”

The trial heard the two Australian-born girls went to Somalia in 2015 for the first time ostensibly on a holiday with their mother and two other siblings.

Several days after they arrived, a procedure was performed on both girls at their grandmother’s house.

On their return in late 2015, the eldest told police their mother was present during the procedure and that they were not sedated and the pain was in the part of the body used to urinate.

The prosecution relied heavily on evidence of a paediatrician who examined the both girls shortly after their return.

He found a reduction of the clitoral hood that met the definition of female genital mutilation.

Five witnesses and police interview tapes with the girls and the mother in 2015 were played to the court over two days of evidence.

“She took her two children to her home country of Somalia in Africa where she herself was subjected to the same brutality,” Ms Kovac said.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/queensl...rs-genital-mutilation-in-landmark-prosecution

Muji

VIP
She has cancer
She’s going to jail
She’s destroyed the lives of her daughters

Somali women do better
Absolutely mess!

She probably should have coached her young daughters before coming back. Now look at her. Smh.

Not that I condone FGM anyway, but 14 years. Yikes!

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
This is honestly all types of sad no matter how u look at it. The family is forever scarred, those innocent girls cut by their own mother, the mother getting cancer and going to prison for a long time. I don’t know what to say but may god ease the pain of those children first and one day give them the oppertunity to reconcile :)

What to say when being quizzed by police.

@Hani Malab

You want those girls to lie about the suffering they’ve gone through to save their mother who intentionally caused them? Don’t be apologetic to barbaric customs and when few are arrested, the rest would think twice not to FGM their daughters.

Few years ago, I suggested here that authorities to physically check young daughters (at the airport) who are returning back from holidays in countries where FGM is practiced. It seems now, the Australian government has heeded to it.

@Knowles

The mother couldn’t produce any cancer diagnosis in Australia, a doctor in Somalia told he she has cancer.

This is funny.

When the medical experts examined the girls, they testified that it could only be explained in Medical terms to be genital mutilation. The mother denied causing it and said;

“Whatever happened to the girls was “from God”.

I never thought the supreme leader does FGM, what do you think?

LoveandLight

LoveandLight the Liberator
Queensland is in Australia.

A Queensland woman has pleaded not guilty to two female genital mutilation charges against children.

A woman accused of sending her daughters to Somalia to undergo genital mutilation has pleaded not guilty in a Queensland court.

The defendant faces two charges of removing a child for genital mutilation - in the first prosecution of its type in Queensland.

The woman allegedly took the two girls, aged nine and 12, to Somalia in April 2015.

Crown prosecutor Dejana Kovac told the court the two young Australian-born girls went to Somalia for the first time ostensibly on a holiday with their mother and two other siblings.

When the children returned to Australia in November 2015, they were interviewed separately by police.

The court was closed to the public and media while the interviews were played, but the prosecution said the eldest described an unknown female doctor “did something” that “caused pain for a number of days” while the youngest was more reluctant to talk.

The eldest told police their mother was present during the procedure, they were not sedated and the pain was in the part of the body used to urinate.

Ms Kovac told the court a medical examination of both girls performed shortly after their return supports the charge they underwent female genital mutilation, which included a reduction of the clitoral hood.

The jury heard there was a previous trial of the case in October 2017, in which another prosecutor asked the girls about what happened.

Ms Kovac said the girls by this time were living back with their parents and under cross-examination denied any procedure had taken place, saying they had be told to lie by their elder sister.

Instead they gave evidence they had suffered from skin rashes all over their bodies during the trip

Ms Kovac told the jury they should ignore this evidence.

Evidence will be heard from 10 witnesses for the jury trial in the District Court, which is expected to finish by the end of the week.

The Queensland law carries a maximum penalty of 14 years jail.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/queensl...ters-to-somalia-to-undergo-genital-mutilation

Oh My God! This makes Me so Mad!

Muji

VIP
@Knowles

The mother couldn’t produce any cancer diagnosis in Australia, a doctor in Somalia told he she has cancer.

This is funny.

When the medical experts examined the girls, they testified that it could only be explained in Medical terms to be genital mutilation. The mother denied causing it and said;

“Whatever happened to the girls was “from God”.

I never thought the supreme leader does FGM, what do you think?

Gosh truly disturbed woman

I found Jirons comment funnier tbh

@Hani Malab

You want those girls to lie about the suffering they’ve gone through to save their mother who intentionally caused them? Don’t be apologetic to barbaric customs and when few are arrested, the rest would think twice not to FGM their daughters.

Few years ago, I suggested here that authorities to physically check young daughters (at the airport) who are returning back from holidays in countries where FGM is practiced. It seems now, the Australian government has heeded to it.

Do you want your mother to go to prison for male circumcision on you? Who decides what is barbaric and what is okay? Legality? Deen? What do you use to measure whether something is okay?

Muji

VIP
Do you want your mother to go to prison for male circumcision on you? Who decides what is barbaric and what is okay? Legality? Deen? What do you use to measure whether something is okay?

Hani Male circumcision is not the same thing as female circumcision. There were several deaths last year as a result of blood loss, there are no health benefits, it complicates labour and is darn right cruel!

You seem to be quite protective of this woman, no doubt you know one who has inflicted this kind of pain on a child. You are concerned about the wellbeing of the mother but what about the little girls who didn’t ask for this?

Hani Male circumcision is not the same thing as female circumcision. There were several deaths last year as a result of blood loss, there are no health benefits, it complicates labour and is darn right cruel!

You seem to be quite protective of this woman, no doubt you know one who has inflicted this kind of pain on a child. You are concerned about the wellbeing of the mother but what about the little girls who didn’t ask for this?

I never said I agreed with FGM, but I can see where the mother was coming from. It's ridiculous to think she needs prison for something her people have normalized to her.

Muji

VIP
I never said I agreed with FGM, but I can see where the mother was coming from. It's ridiculous to think she needs prison for something her people have normalized to her.

She needs prison walalo

The reason we don’t think habos like this shouldnt go to prison for this crime is because we haven’t seen it enough.

Inshallah the more often you see a xalimo walking around with an orange jilbab in prison, the more you will get used to it.

Also, there are plenty of xalimos who grew up believing fgm was the norm and had gone through it themselves but they don’t carry on the viscous abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending