Puntland Democracy Opportunies Or Pitfalls

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I am very concerned our democracy is simply going to be a cover-tool for tribalism and not on ideas and issues to progress our state. In Australia we have 151 districts forming the lower house and 76 senators forming the upper house. There is 2 major parties labor(left wing), liberal(right wing) and two smaller parties who coalition with the major parties called the 'greens environmentalist' and the 'national party' who represent rural farmers. The greens coalition with labor and national party coalition with liberal party.

Each district of Australia has a 'member of parliament' or 'MP' for short. I can approach my MP in my electorate about concerns in my neighborhood such as roads-hospitals-schools-crime rates-sanitation-cost of living. Each neighborhood has access to his MP to bring about change and progress in their neighborhood.

Is Puntland going to follow a similar model of democracy where our elected officials will speak about these public matters before parliament and will each successful party in Puntland develop their programs to address each of it's constituency concerns and then compete in free n fair elections based on 'core issues or idealogy' and not 'ina hebel baan ahay' nonsense.

I want to see a mature Puntland democracy, where each city and town just cares about itself and it's development and not care for tribe-religion-or other irrelevant matters. Somaliland has been a democracy now since 2003 and I hope to god we don't follow the same route, that isn't a democracy, they don't even address idealogies, core issues, etc. They just hold parades and that's it.

What u should care about is that you have sanitation program to collect your garbage in your neighborhood or village, u should care about your young kids getting universal or at the bare minimum 'affordable' health-care and education. You should care about the 'amni levels' of your district and crime rates and policing matters.

Who is with the DR on this in Puntland? I hope to god we don't form political parties on tribal allegiance, if we do, nothing will ever get done in Puntland if we don't form parties on 'core issues and idealogy' and what each party has to offer your district.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The Puntland public in the diaspora are keeping a close eye on Puntland democratisation program and this will determine if we become a banana republic like Somaliland or the only functioning democracy in Africa which deals with core issues at each district level and forms parties around core issues and idealogies.

Idealogies need to be formed in Puntland around taxation policies-social programs-infrastructure-regional security-local security-foreign policy-climate change-sanitation policy-education-health.

I want to see what each party stands for, how it will implement the policy(public/private, international assistance), and how it will benefit Puntland as a whole or a district. My representative should be standing in puntland parliament on ideas-core issues not 'ina hebel kooxasi'.

I personally don't care who u r and your background, I care for your previous history and track record and what u will do in my tuulo birta dheer or district 'garowe'. As this create accountability to your district because u were elected from there. I don't care for presidential elections, I am from Australia we have parliamentary system where u vote at your district for the party not the individual. In Puntland I hope to see a similar system where the party is above individual or tribalism.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Come on Puntites, put on your political 'cap' and let's discuss this before it's to late and we start having parties that are not talking on idealogy-core issues-policies and just a bunch of individuals who are selected into the party on tribal grounds like damujadiid or parties who simply parade after a vote like somaliland but not a single one of their party officials discusses their idealogy-core issues-policies or what their track record is.

Don’t forget the women quota, PL must meet it and exceed it. Or it’ll end like SL’s. That’s the biggest criticism they are getting it

Trending