Public Debating

Public Debating​

By Bassam Zawadi

Public debating is a skill. To be very good at it requires one to know the subject matter being debated inside out. It requires one to study his opponent very well and anticipate what arguments he will throw his way (which sometimes even includes the kitchen sink!). This does not only include studying what one’s opponent has publicly written or spoken about the subject but also preparing for whatever “new surprise arguments” he may have decided to add to his arsenal of arguments.

Debating demands communicating your points in a coherent and organized fashion so that those listening fully understand what you are talking about. It does not matter if what you say makes sense to you; it also has to make sense to people who may not be as knowledgeable regarding the subject as you would have liked.

Public debating is exhausting. Preparations in researching for it, rehearsing your opening statement so that you do not go beyond the allotted time, constantly thinking about what your opponent has in store for you, etc.; all of this is very stressful and mentally exhausting, especially if one is still an amateur debater, and especially if one is debating a topic for the first time.

What makes it even more stressful is when you choose to debate a topic on Islam. By publicly debating, one has volunteered to represent Muslims. He has volunteered to represent the truth that Allah, The Creator of the Universe, has revealed to mankind. If one does not feel the weight of that burden and responsibility, then he is not a person spiritually fit for debating.

There is so much more that I could say on this subject, but I would like to stress one thing here: the outcome of public debates is not meant to be viewed as determinants of truth. If a certain side wins a debate, it has to do with one debater performing better than the other most of the time. Do not seek and settle for the truth just by simply watching and listening to public debates.

Rather, debates are meant to serve as springboards and launch pads from whence you initiate your journey to reading and thinking more critically about the topic that was debated. They are supposed to stimulate and drive your curiosity. That is supposed to be the primary benefit behind watching them.

There are many benefits to public debating; I explained some of them in my lecture here.

Do not treat debates like gladiator matches. Lest we forget, debating is a form of da’wah. We need to remind ourselves how da’wah is supposed to be conducted (Surah 16, Ayah 125).

There are good debaters, just as there are poor debaters. There are sincere debaters, just as there are cocky attention-seeking debaters. There are fruitful debates, just as there are time-wasting debates. As with almost everything in life, the issue is not so black and white. Our scholars have laid out the conditions for having fruitful dialogues and debates with the kuffar with clarity, so we should all refer back to those if we need to.

Trending