Puntland Land Restoration Thread

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
World Agro Forestry will regreen 9000 hectares in Puntland

CARENetherlands%2C%20CARE%20Somalia%20and%20ICRAF%20interract%20with%20community%20in%20Kubo%2C%20Bari.%20Photo%20CARE%20Somalia.%202.jpg

Tree%20nursery%20at%20Minisitry%20of%20Environment%2C%20Agriculture%20and%20CLimate%20Change%20offices%20in%20Garowe%2C%20Puntland.%20Photo%20Jonathan%20Muriuki.jpg

‘Through direct scaling and leveraging initiatives at community, the project will transform 20 000 smallholder farmers and pastoralist households, and regreen 9000 hectares in Puntland’, he said at a recent planning meeting held in Garowe.

You can read more here

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
9000 Hectares is 9000 Sized Football Stadium of this size.

Rugby-Field-Hamilton-The-Third-Force.jpg

This shit ain't a pilot either, their in full roll out 'scaled' to 9000 Hectares. PL will be green/lush/ and a forest again.

Another organisation doing similar ecosystem recovery and of noteworthy mention is dryland solution who is also going to to re-create forests in Puntland

I think once this is done, @Dalalos_ibn_Adali will be stunned that Puntland 'seasonal river-beds' will be converted into 'river artelleries' as the next project and Puntland will have more 'arable and fertile land' then all 'gedo' plus 'lower juba' is absame/hartis southern farm land. I notice u love to act like you got 'land in pl/gm/ddsi/lower jubba' acting like you have many homelands like Hartis and Absame, but you only have a 'village or district' at most in GM/PL/DDSI.

Ha nagu kibrin waryaa, Gedo is your only home, don't lose it if I were you because qof aan dhul lahayn is not represented in politics.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
9000 Hectares in area 'sq' is 90 SQ KM. That is like the city of 'mogadishu' which is being converted into Puntland Forests. Not bad 'scaling' at all. We need Forests that big in each 'gobol' though.

9000 Hectares in area 'sq' is 90 SQ KM. That is like the city of 'mogadishu' which is being converted into Puntland Forests. Not bad 'scaling' at all. We need Forests that big in each 'gobol' though.

Will they plant palm trees looks much better

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

9000 Hectares isn't anything to scoff at, it's basically like the size of 9000 football fields however when you look at Majerteniya land mass of 150,000 area sq km, then 9000 hectares is not that big and only 90 sq km, but if we had 90 area sq km of forests in each 'gobol' and then each 'district' later on, we could reach 90 area sq km of forests x 28 districts=2520 area sq km of forest and arable land. That would mean 2% of majerteniya is fertile and forests, while 90% of majerteniya is 'seasonally' arable depending on rains.

I hope puntland set's a percentage mark to green up puntland and aim to reach 5% fertile forests. I think 2% to 5% of puntland's land mass which is 150,000 sq km is a realistic goal in the next 30 years. I can't wait to have forests and park-land restored in puntland. We have something called 'nature reserves' in australia, puntland should also have nature reserves of trees and grass, each city in australia percentage inu ahaado weeye 'nature reserve' and maybe when we reach 28 district goal we can 'demand' each city wa inu haysta 'reserve parks' as part n parcel of their 'urban plan'. A city without a park land is not a city, people want to go camping in the week-ends, walks, or simply sitting outside and embracing nature.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

Palm trees look better in urban cities rather then 'nature reserves or park-land'. This is a nature reserve or park-lands that are being reserved for pastoralists-farmers in 'rural areas'. But I know what you mean we need urban park-land or nature reserve as part of urban town plans.

But rural guys are more important as puntites are largely rural based, they get priority since majority of our population are depending on rural activities in this stage of our economic development, urbanites are only 20-30% maximum because our imports are only 30% of GDP so the population in urban area in comparison to rural area is tiny, but that is typical of 3rd world nations, most are not urbanised.

Puntland is very stratigicly located specially Gardafu. Gardafu should be t he number 1 shooing Lane in the world connecting Far East, south Africa, Middle East and Europe.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
You really love Puntland that's good.

I love Puntland becauese 'region walbo wa inu gurigisa dhista'. There is no point me talking about Somalia and everyone elses house if my house is unstable and lacking progress. I want PL to by our 'CV' to the world and somalis that we are not interested in clan warfare and there is no appetite for it anyways globally due to the security embargo, if the world wanted a scramble in africa or somalia, their would be no international legal institutions nor would their exist a united nation security council.

Puntland is tapping into the UN development agencies thru public/private/international cooperation model where we contribute a percentage of our own development and the international community contributes an amount for our identified 'development plans'.

I want PL to finish the govt tasks of 'humanitarian/security/institutional recovery' tasks. We already built sand-dams across 10-12 districts so far, so we are closing in on our goals of water security where each of puntland 9 states has a 'water reserve'. Food security is mainly inter-regional imports and with 9000 HECTARES being greened up, it could lead to PL being self sufficient in food security locally. These are mammoth projects of just water and food, and we haven't even started on a 'large scale' how to transition puntites from secondary school into 'industry pathways' be it professional/technical/unskilled industries.

I love Puntland wa dhulka awooweyashayda, if I don't love it first, how can I love someone else land in Somalia? wax 'macqul' ma aha, charity starts at home waryaa not at your neighbors or nation. Kaygi markan wax taro baan ka hadli kara waxan uu gaban kari somalia as a whole. Even in PL, it's decentralized development meaning 'bottom up' Saaxo iyo Birta dheer, hadee waxan wax taraya kow birta dheer since that's my village before I help Saaxo. I mean if there is 'PL wide projects' beeshayda way ka qayb galaysa like el dahir to erigavo or garacad port or wadaagsin road. Lakin we are de-centralized in PL government structure, qof walbo tuuladisa wa inu ka soo bilaaba dawladnimada

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
PUNTLAND TEMPORARILY LIMITS FREE RANGE ZONES FOR LIVESTOCK

Garowe (PP News Desk) — Puntland Ministry for Environment, Agriculture and Climate Charge yesterday designated Cado-dheere and Laba-dulley as no-free range zones for fifteen days. The decision will bar nomads from letting their herd graze at the two areas.

Puntland Government cited overgrazing as the main reason for the decision seen by environmentalists as a heightened awareness about impact of growing livestock population in a decreasing vegetation consumed by goats, sheep and camels.
FB_IMG_16214218166582575.jpg

Caddo-dheero Valley (File photo)
The new natural resource management policy will pave the way for preparedness for the dry season when low rainfall forces nomads to migrate in search of pastures for their livestock.

Other plans the Environment Ministry explores include training nomads in how to prepare animal feeds before a drought drastically reduces the availability of pastures.

“At last our nomads are realising that the natural habitat offers limited grazing opportunities that can only me maintained through range management techniques. They now know that owning more livestock means less pasture” said Hassan Mohamud, a former employee of the National Range Agency.

© Puntland Post, 2021

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is puntland's climate change policy, to limit grazing means the impact of droughts lessen. Nomads have been switching to animal feed and not disturbing the environment.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The gov needs to encourage the selling of livestock. A lot of herders keep more animals than they need instead of selling excess animals on the market. This cultural need for a large herd is causing overgrazing and soil erosion. It also makes these herds vulnerable to drought where all their animals die at once.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
The gov needs to encourage the selling of livestock. A lot of herders keep more animals than they need instead of selling excess animals on the market. This cultural need for a large herd is causing overgrazing and soil erosion. It also makes these herds vulnerable to drought where all their animals die at once.
This. The whole peninsula just keeps playing a game of growing their herd watching it get obliterated then doing it all over again.

I try convincing so many folks of selling some off and they would fight me over it. Only in Somalia does it make sense to send 100 USD remittance to families that have well over 100k in assets. These people need to be banked forcefully and taught the concept of savings.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
This. The whole peninsula just keeps playing a game of growing their herd watching it get obliterated then doing it all over again.

I try convincing so many folks of selling some off and they would fight me over it. Only in Somalia does it make sense to send 100 USD remittance to families that have well over 100k in assets. These people need to be banked forcefully and taught the concept of savings.

My adeer had a little more than 100 camels as a result of not having to give any to his sons who moved from Ethiopia into Galkacyo. This was in 2007. He lost like a third of his herd in 2011, lost some more in 2017, and is now down to about 40. He lost something like $60-70K over a decade. He could have sold most of his herd, invested in a business, and retired. Instead he is now stuck herding camels in his 60s.

:kanyehmm:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
My adeer had a little more than 100 camels as a result of not having to give any to his sons who moved from Ethiopia into Galkacyo. This was in 2007. He lost like a third of his herd in 2011, lost some more in 2017, and is now down to about 40. He lost something like $60-70K over a decade. He could have sold most of his herd, invested in a business, and retired. Instead he is now stuck herding camels in his 60s.

:kanyehmm:
If they started a cooperative, they could have money saved in times of drought to purchase fodder and water. Maybe the government should start an initiative like that.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
This is actually genius and what I have been advocating for in JL. The charcoal business has literally destroyed thousands of acres of greenland coupled with animal grazing. I commend PL for finally addressing the environmental concerns that plague our nation. You are pioneers in this matter that the low iq nation has failed to understand. Please somalis ku dayo PL and stop the erosion of our land

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

AUG 25, 2023
VIP
This is actually genius and what I have been advocating for in JL. The charcoal business has literally destroyed thousands of acres of greenland coupled with animal grazing. I commend PL for finally addressing the environmental concerns that plague our nation. You are pioneers in this matter that the low iq nation has failed to understand. Please somalis ku dayo PL and stop the erosion of our land
Charcoal business is evil, we need to plant more trees not cut the few we got. Especially in the north.

all puntland’s land needs is some agricultural caretaking and the land will change at a rapid rate, this can be said about for all of somaliweyn but in this case hopefully puntland’s government sees the benefits that this has. just look at the difference in only a week.

Trending