Pew Research on Americans Social Media Use 2021

Some stats showing trends with the use of various major social media platforms (specifically demographics in the US):

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
YouTube really be the incognito King. I've seen a lot of people who say they've sworn off "social media" point out that they'll still browse through YouTube a lot and can't give it up. Even I noticed this about myself. I hardly ever touch IG, FB, Tiktok or any of that other stuff but I'm on YouTube for several hours per day even when I'm really busy. It's the ultimate time leech. Hours and hours of just watching videos and sometimes fooling yourself into thinking you're doing something "productive" because you maybe watching "useful" videos like documentaries, Uni lectures or vlogs where people teach you stuff.

YouTube really be the incognito King. I've seen a lot of people who say they've sworn off "social media" point out that they'll still browse through YouTube a lot and can't give it up. Even I noticed this about myself. I hardly ever touch IG, FB, Tiktok or any of that other stuff but I'm on YouTube for several hours per day even when I'm really busy. It's the ultimate time leech. Hours and hours of just watching videos and sometimes fooling yourself into thinking you're doing something "productive" because you maybe watching "useful" videos like documentaries, Uni lectures or vlogs where people teach you stuff.
You're right. I even think our perceived relationship with YouTube is different from other social media platforms, internally justifying that we are not wasting time in the same manner, as you mentioned, because it provides wide-ranging videos.

You're right. I even think our perceived relationship with YouTube is different from other social media platforms, internally justifying that we are not wasting time in the same manner, as you mentioned, because it provides wide-ranging videos.
I think it's also because YouTube doesn't target a specific age group, while other platforms like Snapchat and TikTok appeal more to younger generations.

YouTube can sometimes contain things that require you to have above 68IQ to comprehend. Social media like Snapchat and TikTok only require room-temperature IQ level, so for more mature media users, it's easier to quit the aforementioned platforms. This is all my opinion though.