Paper claims there's Bantu DNA in southern Somalis

Som

VIP
This chart shows different components. Blue is a European like component, Red is a Bantu like component, green is Arab/middle eastern and Yellow is Nilotic like
Apparently the paper distinguishes southern and northern Somalis. Southern Somalis have as you can see a big noticeable red part which should be Bantu like ancestry.
Is this accurate at all?
Also even with northern Somalis our Nilotic is huge, we are significantly more "madow" than Habesha and Oromo, I thought the difference was just 5%ish less Eurasian
1678999096696.png

I'm from the Juba Valley, I did G25 coordinates and it showed up as having 0% Niger Congo or Bantu DNA. The study is totally in accurate, they haven't sampled the Gedo population. .

World

VIP
Somali Bantus exist u know? If 4 southerners were tested and 1 was Bantu, 3 was Somali. Then the paper will say Southern Somalis are 25 % Bantu on average.

Som

VIP
I'm from the Juba Valley, I did G25 coordinates and it showed up as having 0% Niger Congo or Bantu DNA. The study is totally in accurate, they haven't sampled the Gedo population. .
I think recent daroods don't count as southerners since the cane to the south 200-150 years ago

Som

VIP
Somali Bantus exist u know? If 4 southerners were tested and 1 was Bantu, 3 was Somali. Then the paper will say Southern Somalis are 25 % Bantu on average.
Seems weird though that they would test Bantus together with ethnic Somalis. Usually they are careful with this stuff

World

VIP
Seems weird though that they would test Bantus together with ethnic Somalis. Usually they are careful with this stuff
You can see that there are Southern Somalis that are overlapping with East African Bantus on the PC plot, they’re obviously Somali Bantus.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Already been debunked, B. There are Bantu samples in there. Pay attention to the PCA. There are a few "Southern Somalis" who cluster with Kikuyus and are probably minorly Somali admixed reer madoweyne then the rest of the Southern Somalis 100% overlap with Northern Somalis and look identical to them. Waa fake news.

Som

VIP
You can see that there are Southern Somalis that are overlapping with East African Bantus on the PC plot, they’re obviously Somali Bantus.
But there is also some northern somali (dark green triangle) overlapping with samburu(yellow square). Confusing to say the least. Also why the column chart at K7 makes it seem we are very much different than other horners and definitely it doesn't look 40% Eurasian 60% african

Som

VIP
Most Daroods in the Juba and Somali Galbeed do have minor Niger Congo admixture, I think k some Marehan sub clans who came in the 18Century are the only ones not testing positive for Niger Congo admixture,acording to G25 coordinates. 23andme is unreliable and does not show those admixtures.
aren't all daroods recent(1800s, early 1900s) in the south?

aren't all daroods recent(1800s, early 1900s) in the south?
Some Darood expanded from Somali Galbeed into southern Somalia and some from the east. The ones that expanded from the East tend to score 0%, and Niger Congo like the Marehan Gedo samples. The Daroods that expanded from Galbeed obsorbed minor Niger Congo elements from the Oromo.,prior to settling in the Juba.

Som

VIP
Some Darood expanded from Somali Galbeed into southern Somalia and some from the east. The ones that expanded from the East tend to score 0%, and Niger Congo like the Marehan Gedo samples. The Daroods that expanded from Galbeed obsorbed minor Niger Congo elements from the Oromo.,prior to settling in the Juba.
do you have any of these studies/ results divided by clan?

do you have any of these studies/ results divided by clan?
Yes @Drogbah conducted my G25 coordinates, he is a Habar Awal brother. Its in one of the G25 coordinates Somali studies. I was the only Marehan who is reer Baardheere and that took that test , I totally stood out from the rest of the Darood NFD, j ba samplesit showed up as 0% Bantu.

World

VIP
Yes @Drogbah conducted my G25 coordinates, he is a Habar Awal brother. Its in one of the G25 coordinates Somali studies. I was the only Marehan who is reer Baardheere and that took that test , I totally stood out from the rest of the Darood NFD, j ba samplesit showed up as 0% Bantu.
stop bringing your FKD to genetics :camby:

Som

VIP
any thread here on sspot or online were I can see people results divided by qabil?

This study was already posted on this site and Apollo gave a great answer, look it up.

It’s not Niger-Congo, but Omotic. Oromos carry zero Niger-Congo btw.

This study was already posted on this site and Apollo gave a great answer, look it up.

It’s not Niger-Congo, but Omotic. Oromos carry zero Niger-Congo btw.
Oromo's and Amhara carry some Niger Congo alongside Omotic. All populations in the Horn that engage in Agriculture carry some Niger Congo admixture.

Trending

Latest posts