Oromo or Somali Sometimes St. Cloud isn't sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
B9318635917Z.1_20150901193047_000_G5ABPSBAQ.1-0.jpg

Kimm Anderson, kanderson@stcloudtimes.com

Dotoo Nebi helps provide a variety of educational programs in his role as the more

On many occasions in St. Cloud, Dotoo Nebi noticed that something about his slim body, average height and dark complexion sorts him into a community he technically doesn’t belong to: Somalis.

network_close_button2x.png

“People here think I’m Somali,” Nebi said, seeming bewildered. “We’re not Somalis. We have a different language. We’re from a different part of the world.”

Indeed, they’re from a different country. Nebi, for example, hails from the Agarfa village of Ethiopia, an East African country of more than 94 million people.

Twenty-six years ago, Nebi was born into the country’s largest ethnic group, Oromo, which has spent decades fighting against the Ethiopian authoritarian regime for recognition and independence.

That struggle still continues in the region, giving birth to a seething unrest that has uprooted many families, including hundreds who made St. Cloud their home.

“They took all of our cows, goats and horses,” Nebi said of the Ethiopian soldiers, who roamed in his village. “Every single day, we used to see (them). We were scared for our lives.”

That fear finally brought Nebi to St. Cloud, where he now serves as the executive director of the Midwest Oromo Community, a nonprofit organization that provides service to his Oromo community in Central Minnesota.

The soft-spoken leader is at times surprised that many people here don’t differentiate his community from the Somalis.

On a recent day in the St. Cloud Wal-Mart, he said, an American woman had a heated argument with a Somali woman. When the quarrel cooled off, he said, the same American woman approached him, stared at him and yelled out, “I hate Somalis.”

“She thought that I was a Somali,” he said. “I didn’t say anything.”

Story continues below.

B9318635917Z.1_20150901193047_000_G5ABPSB9U.1-0.jpg

Kimm Anderson, kanderson@stcloudtimes.com

Dotoo Nebi works with Amber Brown’s English as a Second Language class Tuesday more

Geshe Hassen, another member of the St. Cloud Oromo community, said he had a similar experience. Many times, he said, people are genuinely confused — they just don’t know much about the Oromo community and its history.

“It doesn’t bother me,” Hassen said. “But I just wish people would know that we’re from Ethiopia.”

Members of the broader community aren’t the only people who misidentify the Oromo group. Hussein Mohamud, who is a Somali, said he speaks in Somali with Oromo people when he sees them on the streets.

“The way we dress and our physical appearance are the same,” he said. “Even our people can’t sometimes tell the difference between the two communities.”

Childhood years in Ethiopia

Nebi’s story is different from that of Somalis — and it’s remarkable in its own way. He came of age at a time when writing in his native Afaan Oromo language was a crime in Ethiopia.

The language had remained nothing more than an oral tradition until in the early ’70s, when leaders of the Oromo Liberation Front made Afaan Oromo the official language in the areas they controlled.

In response, the former Ethiopian dictator Lt. Col. Mengistu Haile Mariam banned the language in the country.

Nebi, however, secretly learned to write and read it from his father, Kedir, who had also taught scores of others in the Oromo community.

When Mengistu’s government collapsed in 1991, Nebi’s father joined the liberation movement for the betterment of the Oromo people — risking persecution.

About a decade later, life in the region became too dangerous for Kedir; he moved to the United States in 2001.

Nebi, on the other hand, moved to Kenya with his family of eight in 2004.

Two years later, Nebi, who completed his middle and elementary school education in Ethiopia, came to Minnesota in 2006. “When I came here, I didn’t know English,” he said, adding that when he sat for the exam for placement at Arlington Senior High School in St. Paul, he wrote the exam in his native language.

His math and science skills, though, were above average. When he began to study biomedical science at St. Cloud State University in 2008, he worked as a math and science tutor at the university’s campus.

Oromo community service

Through the Midwest Oromo Community, Nebi said he hopes to educate St. Cloud residents about his Oromo people — a community that has both Muslims and Christians, whose language and country is different than Somalis and their homeland.

According to Nebi’s estimation, St. Cloud is home to more than 500 Oromo people who started arriving in 2008. Many of them struggle with language and cultural barriers as well as education and transportation issues, Nebi noted.

Some members of the community applauded Nebi for his service.

Hassen, who is also Nebi’s longtime friend, remembers Nebi as an effective organizer even when the two were in college. “He used to organize us in college,” he said of Nebi. “Because of him, we became more involved in campus activities.”

He added: “Now he’s organizing the community the same way he used to organize college students. I really like his leadership style.”

Since Nebi became the head of the Midwest Oromo Community in 2013, he’s created several educational programs and services to empower his community. They are aimed at older people, women and youth in the Oromo community.

“We provide many programs,” said Nebi, who’s also a paraprofessional at North Junior High School, “like community health education, and mental illness and immigration services.”

First of all I wanna give this
pzqbmTI.jpg

to whoever mistook this nigga for a Somali.

:drakewtf::childplease: Second this nigga looks straight up like Amxaar's or other midget Ethiopians. :camby:They're Oromos that can pass for Somali's but not niggaz like this. Probably a cadaan mistook him for a skinny you know how they think all blacks look alike. Btw this nacas said Oromos and Somali's are from different parts of the world.:snoop:

On a recent day in the St. Cloud Wal-Mart, he said, an American woman had a heated argument with a Somali woman. When the quarrel cooled off, he said, the same American woman approached him, stared at him and yelled out, “I hate Somalis.”

“She thought that I was a Somali,” he said. “I didn’t say anything.”

He's a good person.

Second this nigga looks straight up like Amxaar's or other midget Ethiopians.

He looks more Somali than Amxaar.

Somali's are from different parts of the world.

They are technically. You're being pedantic.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Many Oromos look like Somalis but not this guy. He looks like your standard Amhare dude.

Different parts of the world? We literally share border and many of them live in Somali Galbeed.

In other parts of the world, Oramos claim Somalis when it suits them and they can benefit from it. Now, this guy feels that Somalis are being despised in Minneapolis, and he is basically saying "look at us, we aint Somalis." This guy is not aware that tens of thousands of his people live and work in Somalia, and here he is telling the world that "he aint Somali" as it will make a difference to the American redneck. High time they get deported from all corners of Somalia.

You know you are in a deep shit when even Qoti or "caadhgoo" as Reer Djibouti call them runs away from you!

He's a good person.

He looks more Somali than Amxaar.

They are technically. You're being pedantic.

Wow, Samawada lady seems to be defending the Oramo guy vigorously. Is there something you like to share sister? In other words, do you have any Oramo - or "caadhgoo" as Reer Djibouti call them - relatives? :) Or perhaps, do you know the fella? :vo3yidw:

Bielsa

VIP
Majority of Oromos are nice people and are not like this guy. Many of them live in our communities and marry our sons and daughters. Oromos are good people. Don't generalise them.

Majority of Oromos are nice people and are not like this guy. Many of them live in our communities and marry our sons and daughters. Oromos are good people. Don't generalise them.

The guy just emphasized he is not Somali in this whole article. That is all he has done. If giving them Somali passports, housing them in Somalia, and supporting their causes were not good enough, what more could we have done for this group of people?

What do Somalis owe him that he has to tell the world he is not Somali? You don't have Amhara, Tigrayan, Afars, or Eritreans telling the world "look at us, we are not Somalis,' yet you have this "caadhgoo" or qoti telling the world, "look at me, I aint a Somali." What do we owe him? F/ck him and his caadhgoo people.

Bielsa

VIP
The guy just emphasized he is not Somali in this whole article. That is all he has done. If giving them Somali passports, housing them in Somalia, and supporting their causes were not good enough, what more could we have done for this group of people?

What do Somalis owe him that he has to tell the world he is not Somali? You don't have Amhara, Tigrayan, Afars, or Eritreans telling the world "look at us, we are not Somalis,' yet you have this "caadhgoo" or qoti telling the world, "look at me, I aint a Somali." What do we owe him? F/ck him and his caadhgoo people.

I agree this guy is unbearable but most Oromos are not like him. They are good people who like Somalis. This guy is obviously an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts