origin of dirac(is it from yemen)?

So a corrupted version of the Amxaaro word, I bet you also call Chicken dooro like the amxaaro :dead:
Laxoox milix meyd adeni people really did a number on you guys

lucious-lyon-terrence-howard.gif

I am just confused on the origins of diraac because I have seen that yemenis also wear it and many things from yemen were exported to somalia which explains the cultural similarities

nvm: saw on wikipedia it was created by somali women then exported to other east african countries and yemen

Diraac alongside another clothing wear called Gorgorad( Both are Somali terms) originated in Djibouti or Northern Somali territories by Somalis in the late 1900s. There is a book that discusses it is called The Politics of Dress in Somali Culture by Heather Marie

During the 1970s and '80s the guntiino was also quickly being replaced by a new form of dress called dirac and gorgorad. This style might have come from the French colony of Djibouti, since it was more popular in northern Somali...

She goes into it about about the unique designs of it. It only resembles boubou worn by West Africans but with several differences from it. No mention is given to Yemeni's.

I've looked for more information and the sources i have found seem to suggest it originated in Northern Somali territories:

Although the dirac originates from the nothern Somali territories, it only became fashionable among Somalis in the 1960s (Akou 2011) and among Somalis in the diaspora it has come to symbolize tradiional Somali cultural dress. It is typically worn at weddings and other Somali events.

Dirac is from Southern Yemen, we stole the Dirac,Laxoox,Sambusa iyo balaayo kale even the deen :dead:

Don't let the names canjeero/Laxoox fool you, its a regional trans cross-cultural difussion thats quite ancient actually , still disimilar in someways. The laxoox Somalis eat is is a pancake prepared with a native crop . Whereas the Yemeni one is a flatbread.

The Sambusa originates in Central Asia not Yemen, it spread from there to several parts of Asia and East Africa Including Ethiopia. They all have different styles of making it.

I don't know how Somali could steal deen(Islam) from Southern Yemenis. It makes no sense what you are saying.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts