Online outrage over Mossad evacuation of Ethiopan Jews movie

(apologies if this has already been posted, haven't seen it if it has)

I saw this on Twitter and a film blog I follow. People seem to be annoyed abut the way the situation is being depicted and how Israel is portrayed and the lack of Ethiopian authenticity. They see it as another white saviour film.

For context, the film is about the the 1984 Israeli 'Operation Brothers', where forces in Sudan took Ethiopian Jews through Sudan and into Europe to Israel. The Ethiopian Jews were said to be escaping war, famine and religious discrimination. The operation was seen as semi-controversial at the time, as people said that the mission was ingenious and was performed just to better the image of Israel and disprove the idea that Israel was a white ethno-state, and others said that Ethiopian Jews were not the only ones discriminated against and shouldn't have been the only ones evacuated. Nevertheless, thousands of Ethiopians were settled in Israel, where they still reside today. Other issues that have arisen is that the film makes it seem like colour didn't factor in anything during the operation development, when many Israelis at the time were outraged at the thought of black people living with them and instead tried to lobby other Jews from non-black nations to emigrate instead. It also ties in to todays issues, where Ethiopians suffer from discrimination and injustices in Israel, such as the aftermath of the sterilization of African Israelis (many being Ethiopian obviously), with a BLM movement recently due to a 19 year old police killing of an Ethiopian boy.

Personally, I find it interesting that such a niche topic in my school History lessons is being made into a Hollywood film starring Chris Evans and Ben Kingsley lol. I also agree with the sentiment of casting any Black person for any role being ridiculous. In real life, anyone can tell the difference between a Somali/Habesha and a West African / Carribean / African-American, so why act like we can't in the movie? I'm tired of the erasure of Horn Africans in movies, now the Ethiopians finally know how we feel after nearly every Hollywood centric Somali based film has starred non-Somali actors.

What do you guys think, or do you not give a shit and are wondering why I even posted it in here, as you're 'f*ck Itoobiyans' or 'f*ck the Yahood', or both?

Here are some other tweets about it:

Finally showing the truth about Ethiopians.

They are unable to do anything without the help of others.

Kudos to Netflix. :salute::salute:

Itoobiya haa burburto :banderas::banderas:

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I also agree with the sentiment of casting any Black person for any role being ridiculous. In real life, anyone can tell the difference between a Somali/Habesha and a West African / Carribean / African-American, so why act like we can't in the movie? I'm tired of the erasure of Horn Africans in movies, now the Ethiopians finally know how we feel after nearly every Hollywood centric Somali based film has starred non-Somali actors.
I was actually planning on watching the movie. I don't care about the BLM stuff and the sterilizations but I will never accept this.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Wow another film where Horn Africans are depicted as Bantu/Nilotic looking Africans. Could they not find any Horn Africans to act in this? 100,000+ Somali, Oromo, Ahmara, and Tigrinya live in America. Lazy People wallahi.

Other then the horrible casting for the Beta Isreal, the movie looks promising.

Brown savior thos time since it's Jews.

This time it's actually based on historical facts. This actually happened.

Look at the trailer, and even the general Jewish population - do they look brown to you? Referring to Jewish people as brown helps add to the narrative that they are Middle Eastern and not White Europeans who have been in Arab land for less than 100 years. Imagine we Somalis went to somewhere like Pakistan and every Somali living moved there, then in 70-80 years we say Pakistan has always been ours, would be outrageous loool, but we live in a white man's world, and white people can do no wrong.

As per usual, Madows are used to portray Horners.

Hollywood thinks everyone living below the Sahara looks Congolese or South Sudanese lmfao.
:pachah1:

I previously thought it was Somali conservative Muslim views that deterred us from wanting to pursue acting or other industry jobs, hence the lack of Somali actors available worldwide. But it was proven wrong when someone pointed out that there were way more religious communities that still had representative actors. Plus, most Ethiopians are as secular as can get, so I don't see why there aren't more mainstream actors or celebrities in general from there.

I just find it very weird that when you go to a casting call website, if a movie needs someone from India they would specify that, and not hire anyone from Asia as they see fit, as most people would outrage over a Thai person portraying an Indian. Heck, people were mad Jasmine from Aladdin was half white and Indian instead of Arab! So why aren't we Africans treated like that, as we are arguably even more diverse? The funny thing is, I honestly think we Somalis/Habeshas wouldn't be considered for typical 'black' roles, as they would prefer their own, which just goes to show how aware other black people are of race and ethnicity than they like to let on. A light skin girl had to drop out of Black Panther as she was considered for Shuri, as she knew there would be hella backlash that she was mixed, and her colour was similar to a lot of Somalis/Habeshas, so what would be our excuse for their anger? We're not mixed lol, and if anything we're more qualified as we're both full African and East African, where Wakanda is located in the comics. It's just all bullshit, and other black people don't care about accurate representation, as long as money is going into their pockets, cause at other times they like to take our so called black card away.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
I think this movie is propaganda to make Israel look good probably.

Let me check the names of the writers. I bet there will be a lot of Jews in there.

Apollo

VIP
Writers:

Gideon Raff - Ashkenazi Jew
Aaron L. Gilbert - shabbos goy
Alexandra Milchan - Ashkenazi Jew
Gad Shimron - Ashkenazi Jew

Ugh, this shit is pure propaganda as expected.

Also, I think this movie is propaganda to make Israel look good probably.

Let me check the names of the writers. I bet there will be a lot of -bergs and -steins in there.

lmao, you don't even have to search for long; it is writen and directed by this guy. State propoganda masquearding as a Hollywood film.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 00.15.16.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 00.15.16.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 310

Apollo

VIP
lmao, you don't even have to search for long; it is writen and directed by this guy. State propoganda masquearding as a Hollywood film.

I hear the CIA and the state department (foreign affairs department) work together with Hollywood as they want to get certain foreign policy aims being reflected by the creative industry. Quite sickening.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I previously thought it was Somali conservative Muslim views that deterred us from wanting to pursue acting or other industry jobs, hence the lack of Somali actors available worldwide. But it was proven wrong when someone pointed out that there were way more religious communities that still had representative actors. Plus, most Ethiopians are as secular as can get, so I don't see why there aren't more mainstream actors or celebrities in general from there.

I just find it very weird that when you go to a casting call website, if a movie needs someone from India they would specify that, and not hire anyone from Asia as they see fit, as most people would outrage over a Thai person portraying an Indian. Heck, people were mad Jasmine from Aladdin was half white and Indian instead of Arab! So why aren't we Africans treated like that, as we are arguably even more diverse? The funny thing is, I honestly think we Somalis/Habeshas wouldn't be considered for typical 'black' roles, as they would prefer their own, which just goes to show how aware other black people are of race and ethnicity than they like to let on. A light skin girl had to drop out of Black Panther as she was considered for Shuri, as she knew there would be hella backlash that she was mixed, and her colour was similar to a lot of Somalis/Habeshas, so what would be our excuse for their anger? We're not mixed lol, and if anything we're more qualified as we're both full African and East African, where Wakanda is located in the comics. It's just all bullshit, and other black people don't care about accurate representation, as long as money is going into their pockets, cause at other times they like to take our so called black card away.
Very well said.
Israel admitted to sterilizing Ethiopian women entering their country without their permission, masquerading it under the guise of a vaccination, just in 2013. They’re probably still doing it currently too since they had no repercussions from the international community.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elisek...d-african-immigrant-women-with-birth-control/
Hard to get mad at the sterilization of Ethiopians except the fact that we didn't think of it first.
:manny:

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Look at the trailer, and even the general Jewish population - do they look brown to you? Referring to Jewish people as brown helps add to the narrative that they are Middle Eastern and not White Europeans who have been in Arab land for less than 100 years. Imagine we Somalis went to somewhere like Pakistan and every Somali living moved there, then in 70-80 years we say Pakistan has always been ours, would be outrageous loool, but we live in a white man's world, and white people can do no wrong.
They are middle Eastern tf. Palestinians and Jews are fighting over lands that belong to the both of them. "European" Jews are half white half Hebrew nuts genetically and carry Haplogroup J1, the same Haplogroup "Arab" Palestinians carry. I put Arab in quotations for Palestinians because they are actually assimilated Semitic tribes of the Levant and have nothing to do with Gulf Arabs for the past 4000 years other then speaking Arabic as a mother tongue.

North African Jews who make a large percentage of the Israeli population also have large recent middle Eastern ancestry. This whole Isreal vs Palestinian situation is basically two twin brothers fighting over a toy. They both need to grow tf up and realize it's both their lands and they should share it.

Trending