Omani Governors

I’m sure you’ve seen this picture of an Omani guy, apparently the Governor of Mogadishu sometime in the 19th century.

1645566920520.jpeg

Did the Abgaal ‘Lease’ Mogadishu as I’ve heard some time before or was there an occupation? There’s even tales within my family of a certain Arab guy (named Mohamed) who asserted his authority briefly over Warshiekh, Xamar, and Merca.

Last edited:
I read Omanis controlled some Southern Port towns at some point and it even caused the Sultanate of Hobyo to have a problem with the Omani Sultanate. I think I even read something about a conflict between the two, in which the Omanis were defeated.

Sultan Barqash Sayyid Bin Al-Busaid who ruled many coastal towns in east Africa and tried to make Hobyo a territory under his rule. He and his troops were fought tooth and nail by the Sultanate’s army and were embarrassingly defeated.

Last edited:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
From what I gather, their presence was fairly nominal. They apparently even had to pay the Geledi tribute at times in order to stay in Xamar. They even had to ask permission to build a fort:

hyUY2NE.png

These are the indigenous authorities whom we read about in this Italian census:

Last edited:
From what I gather, their presence was fairly nominal. They apparently even had to pay the Geledi tribute at times in order to stay in Xamar. They even had to ask permission to build a fort:

These are the indigenous authorities whom we read about in this Italian census:

I wonder what caused the Geledi downfall.

Trending

Latest posts