Older somali men staring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a somali populated area with a friend of mine who dressed in tight clothing and heels. When we got there i was going to take her to the abaya/dresses shops owned by arabs/asians. I usually avoid the somali shops cause they all stare and try to ask for my tribe, and personal questions. I want to shop in peace without an interview! Anyways my friend insisted to get some snack from a shop turns out its owned by a somali man. He stared her up and down, in a nasty way. He wouldn't even serve her. I felt so uncomfortable being there seeing my friend treated like that I told her lets just leave.

Then later on our this guy (about in his 40s, literally stared at us like, he was disgusted or something. My friend didn't wear the hijab maybe thats why.

I just don't understand why somali people stare and think everyone who isn't in a jilbab is evil. I have my utmost respect for sisters who dress the sunnah way mashallah to them but why look down on my friend cause she's honestly a good person. :(

Do you think people treat you differently for how you dress? I dress modest and get stared at too which I think is just pathetic. Pls share ur experiences

leilamaryaneey

I am Somali woman
I went to a somali populated area with a friend of mine who dressed in tight clothing and heels. When we got there i was going to take her to the abaya/dresses shops owned by arabs/asians. I usually avoid the somali shops cause they all stare and try to ask for my tribe, and personal questions. I want to shop in peace without an interview! Anyways my friend insisted to get some snack from a shop turns out its owned by a somali man. He stared her up and down, in a nasty way. He wouldn't even serve her. I felt so uncomfortable being there seeing my friend treated like that I told her lets just leave.

Then later on our this guy (about in his 40s, literally stared at us like, he was disgusted or something. My friend didn't wear the hijab maybe thats why.

I just don't understand why somali people stare and think everyone who isn't in a jilbab is evil. I have my utmost respect for sisters who dress the sunnah way mashallah to them but why look down on my friend cause she's honestly a good person. :(

Do you think people treat you differently for how you dress? I dress modest and get stared at too which I think is just pathetic. Pls share ur experiences

In my opinion older Somali men are cool, whenever I went to their shops As a child they always gave me free xaalwo, Shani, mirinda (drinks) sweets and gave me a pound lol. Whenever you go to a Somali shop or a Somali mosque you greet the elders and it's common to have a conversation with them, or they will think you are a qumayo. As for nasty looks and stares ya ka xuun hindida caraabta and cadaanka? I'm sorry but who?

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
@Honey I completely agree with you Ive seen many sisters get harassed and its just sad cause as muslims we shouldnt be bad mouthing each other But I think its that Somalis are judgmental specially the older generation.

One time i saw this old guy yelling ceeb to this girl with no hijab on :/

Back home u wont see a single womanwithout hijab cause they follow their deen strict but IF she went out without hijab shell get harassed for it

Hell i got people eyeing me up and down and calling me all sorts of things cause i was wearing shorts and tank top and Im a GUY.

I think more ppl should read this

The Quran does not suggest that women should be veiled or they should be kept apart from the world of men. On the contrary, the Quran is insistent on the full participation of women in society and in the religious practices.

Morality of the self and cleanliness of conscience are far better than the morality of the purdah. No goodness can come from pretence. Imposing the veil on women is the ultimate proof that men suspect their mothers, daughters, wives and sisters of being potential traitors to them. How can Muslim men meet non-Muslim women who are not veiled and treat them respectfully, but not accord the same respectful treatment to Muslim women?

To wear the Hijaab is certainly NOT an Islamic obligatory on women. It is an innovation (Bid’ah) of men suffering from a piety complex who are so weak spiritually that they just cannot trust themselves!”

Older women as they are no longer a source of sexual attraction they don’t have to take specially attention to their cloth when outside. This is according to the Holy Quran:

I went to a Somali populated area with a friend of mine who dressed in tight clothing and heels.

200w.gif

Whether you like it or not, the Somali oday you meet in the market subconsciously views you as his own relative, regardless of whether you actually know him.

So a Somali man who's 60 years old will look at a Somali female in her 20's and subconsciously view her as his own niece or daughter, and will treat her differently than he would treat some random Korean girl or White girl or Indian girl. It's not something he consciously chose, but this is how he sees it. It's natural and most Somalis have these instincts; where they subconsciously view another Somali as their kinsman whether or not they're actually related to them.

That's why they're judgmental, because they wouldn't want their own nieces/daughters to wear such clothing, so they wouldn't want you to do it either. Don't take it as a bad thing.

Waranle

Top Mali in the 6ix
Your friend was probably dressed like. .Probably had a big bawty aswell,why wouldn't they look it's natural?

angrycat

not so sad after all
I used to feel like that in high school, now though i realize how awesome most elder somalis are. If they see you waiting out in the cold most of the odey taxi drivers will gladly offer u a ride home free of charge, if they see you they greet you smiling like youre their nephew or niece.

I dont knw if my perception of them changed, or living in a new region im not seeing as much weirdos

@Honey I completely agree with you Ive seen many sisters get harassed and its just sad cause as muslims we shouldnt be bad mouthing each other But I think its that Somalis are judgmental specially the older generation.

One time i saw this old guy yelling ceeb to this girl with no hijab on :/

Back home u wont see a single womanwithout hijab cause they follow their deen strict but IF she went out without hijab shell get harassed for it

Hell i got people eyeing me up and down and calling me all sorts of things cause i was wearing shorts and tank top and Im a GUY.

I think more ppl should read this

The Quran does not suggest that women should be veiled or they should be kept apart from the world of men. On the contrary, the Quran is insistent on the full participation of women in society and in the religious practices.

Morality of the self and cleanliness of conscience are far better than the morality of the purdah. No goodness can come from pretence. Imposing the veil on women is the ultimate proof that men suspect their mothers, daughters, wives and sisters of being potential traitors to them. How can Muslim men meet non-Muslim women who are not veiled and treat them respectfully, but not accord the same respectful treatment to Muslim women?

To wear the Hijaab is certainly NOT an Islamic obligatory on women. It is an innovation (Bid’ah) of men suffering from a piety complex who are so weak spiritually that they just cannot trust themselves!”

Older women as they are no longer a source of sexual attraction they don’t have to take specially attention to their cloth when outside. This is according to the Holy Quran:
Full of shit. Do not reference the Quran if you do not know it or do you lie and invent stories out of the Quran on purpose? An interesting verse is repeated in the quran a lot of times and it says "and who is more unjust than whoever invents about Allah a lie". This is what this kid is doing when he says the Quran does not suggest women veiling

@ the girl who posted the thread..maybe you should start dressing modestly and see if you get stares. Men old or young will stare at woman's body and until you cover up you will get lustful stares.

In my opinion older Somali men are cool, whenever I went to their shops As a child they always gave me free xaalwo, Shani, mirinda (drinks) sweets and gave me a pound lol. Whenever you go to a Somali shop or a Somali mosque you greet the elders and it's common to have a conversation with them, or they will think you are a qumayo. As for nasty looks and stares ya ka xuun hindida caraabta and cadaanka? I'm sorry but who?

I was talking about the stares my friend got for how she was dressed. You seem to have missed the point of the thread.

@Mercury I agree with some of the things you said but I disagree about ur views on the deen. If you read the quraan the hijab is mentioned there and women have been ordered to wear it.

Whether you like it or not, the Somali oday you meet in the market subconsciously views you as his own relative, regardless of whether you actually know him.

So a Somali man who's 60 years old will look at a Somali female in her 20's and subconsciously view her as his own niece or daughter, and will treat her differently than he would treat some random Korean girl or White girl or Indian girl. It's not something he consciously chose, but this is how he sees it. It's natural and most Somalis have these instincts; where they subconsciously view another Somali as their kinsman whether or not they're actually related to them.

That's why they're judgmental, because they wouldn't want their own nieces/daughters to wear such clothing, so they wouldn't want you to do it either. Don't take it as a bad thing.

Thanks for this reply it actually made a lot of sense. I'm sure those men have good intentions but it can be perceived in a negative way.

Thanks for this reply it actually made a lot of sense. I'm sure those men have good intentions but it can be perceived in a negative way.

Yeah its a common misconception many somalis who grew up in the qurbaha have. Because it is consider unusual, rude or disrepectful in western culture to stare at people, but for Somalis it is nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Some Somalis tend to stare openly at folks for no reason and think nothing of it. For example ive seen many Habaryars give random people on trains & buses sitting right infront of them the stare down. I sometimes feel for ajanabis cuz that is some uncomfortable shit.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Yeah its a common misconception many somalis who grew up in the qurbaha have. Because it is consider unusual, rude or disrepectful in western culture to stare at people, but for Somalis it is nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Some Somalis tend to stare openly at folks for no reason and think nothing of it. For example ive seen many Habaryars give random people on trains & buses sitting right infront of them the stare down. I sometimes feel for ajanabis cuz that is some uncomfortable shit.:lol::lol::lol:

lol the habaryars always stare at me as well and start questioning me from A to Z:ftw9nwa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts