Old customs

I just watched the Geography now vid. They mentioned the Yibir. Isn't insane that a few decades ago Somalis were so superstitious that they would pay a Yibir money if a son is born?

My own ayeeyo did that when she gave birth to her first born.

Do you know any crazy/cool customs that Somalis used to do/believe in?

But why do the Yibir look so different though? I don’t think that they are actual Jews since they left the religion a long time ago probably.

WASNT it because their family lineage consists of wizards

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
I know of a few cause I always thought somali superstitions were so cool so I’d always ask my parents about it :

1. If a child had problems wetting a bed the parents would make the child sit on the shell of a (living) turtle and that was thought to cure the problem of bed wetting lol

2. Don’t step over a women’s legs if she’s sleeping otherwise she won’t have any sons which was viewed as bad luck

3.Sprinkle salt in front of the house to avoid evil spirits:mjlol: my mom told me my ayeeyo did this

4. If your hand itches you will have wealth and fortune

5. When you move into a new house break an egg in front of the door to the house or the gate for good luck

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
1614368181058.png

Nafiso Qalanjo

𝖂𝖊'𝖗𝖊 𝖌𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖜𝖆𝖗 𝖇𝖆𝖇𝖞!
These superstition make good entertainment material. Before all of these stories are lost Somalis should bring them back through movies, comic book, and novels. We should monopolize on our myths just like how other country's do in their entertainment industry. :fittytousand:

Trending