• This website is being maintained/upgraded and may have some downtime or errors.

Nothing makes me happy anymore

lalayariis

Bad cop
If I were to be completely honest, everyday feels like a chore and I don’t feel happy anymore and haven’t for years. Sure, every once and while when I might feel good for a few hours but my constant state has grown to just be sadness and overthinking everything to the point I just want to be asleep forever. People don’t enjoy my company and I don’t either as I’m just a shell. I would never kill myself because it will would crush my mother but at the same time I feel like I stopped living and or was never living to begin with. Everyone says I have so much potential and am always told I’m the good smart girl, that I feel it fueled self destructive behavior to cope with not feeling like I could fill the plate and now it’s all coming crashing down. I don’t even know why I’m posting this, but I just wanted to say this at 2am of all times and wanted to talk to see if any other Somalis felt this way or do so. I honestly don’t even care to create a anon account because it just mimics the facade I put up in real life of pretending to be someone I’m not. I’m just wondering if anyone cares to share their stories, and emotions as I feel we focus so much on the group as a whole that we forget about the individuals. How are you? Do you feel okay? Tell me and I’m hear you listen as much as you listened to me here. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I’m only a reply away.

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
If I were to be completely honest, everyday feels like a chore and I don’t feel happy anymore and haven’t for years. Sure, every once and while when I might feel good for a few hours but my constant state has grown to just be sadness and overthinking everything to the point I just want to be asleep forever. People don’t enjoy my company and I don’t either as I’m just a shell. I would never kill myself because it will would crush my mother but at the same time I feel like I stopped living and or was never living to begin with. Everyone says I have so much potential and am always told I’m the good smart girl, that I feel it fueled self destructive behavior to cope with not feeling like I could fill the plate and now it’s all coming crashing down. I don’t even know why I’m posting this, but I just wanted to say this at 2am of all times and wanted to talk to see if any other Somalis felt this way or do so. I honestly don’t even care to create a anon account because it just mimics the facade I put up in real life of pretending to be someone I’m not. I’m just wondering if anyone cares to share their stories, and emotions as I feel we focus so much on the group as a whole that we forget about the individuals. How are you? Do you feel okay? Tell me and I’m hear you listen as much as you listened to me here. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I’m only a reply away.

I am on the same boat as you, I started to become self destructive a year ago...I tried alcohol.

To be sane, you have to do crazy things. You can't be 100 percent good/ religious. You will become mentally ill

lalayariis

Bad cop
I am on the same boat as you, I started to become self destructive a year ago...I tried alcohol.

To be sane, you have to do crazy things. You can't be 100 percent good/ religious. You will become mentally ill
Sis I’m sending my love :it0tdo8:
I feel like there is no option to make mistakes, and it causes people to just end up going too far and crashing only until they hit rock bottom because there is no room for forgiveness either. Why suffer the consequences of one small action and take the blame for everything even if you haven’t done it so you just end up doing it as well because you have nothing else to lose. It’s a viscous cycle that just keeps feeding itself, but the destructiveness creates that feeling of control in your life you so wished to grasp ahold of before that you’ll just keep chasing it endlessly until the hope that held you up even in your darkest moments gives in on itself and there is no more. I feel as though I’m steadily approaching that moment.

Karim

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
VIP
Much longer than I’m proud of.
The problem lies there. The reason god put you on this earth is to worship him and seek his acceptance. If you go astray from that purpose you will lose sense of self worth and happiness. Your friends and everyone in your life will gradually abandon you. If you abandon Allah then Allah will abandon you. Repent ASAP and change your bad habits, pray all 5 times a day and things will come back to normal.

Your soul needs food just like your body does, and the food of the soul is the rememberance of Allah and worship.

The feeling your having now is likely a sign of mercy to turn you back to your original purpose for which you was created.

20:124

And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind."

13:28

those who have faith and whose hearts find peace in the remembrance of God- truly it is in the remembrance of God that hearts find peace

59:19

Do not be like those who forget God, so God causes them to forget their own souls: they are the rebellious ones-

I've never related so much to a complete stranger. I thought i was alone. It is hard i never wanted to kill myself never That would be like leaving one hell going to another. My advice would be To pay attention to your energy suckers including your thoughts. Control them. Despite all that we have a lot to be thankful for. Someone has it worse somewhere in the world even if you cant see them. Also prayer helps. Wake up at night and pray.

To start, Carol Dweck and her team gave all the students a really easy non-verbal IQ test. At the end of the test they praised the students in one of two ways: One group was praised for their intelligence: "Wow great job - You must be really smart at this" The other group was praised for their effort: "Wow great job - You must of worked really hard at this" Dweck wanted to look at how this subtle difference in the way that they were praised effects the students mindset and performance. After praising the children they gave them an option for the next test. One choice was to take a harder test that Dweck told the children would be quite difficult, but a great opportunity to learn and grow. The other choice was to take a second test that was similar to the first, and one they would surely do well on. 67% of the students that were praised for their intelligence chose the easier option. While 92% of the students that were praised for their effort chose the harder option! The next test they gave the students was incredibly difficult - One that they would surely all fail. Carol Dweck wanted to look at how the different groups attacked this challenge. She noticed: The effort group worked harder, longer, and actually enjoyed this test more than the intelligence group - Who quickly became frustrated and gave up early. For the final step of the study Carol Dweck and her team gave all of the students a test that was just as easy as the first. The results are pretty convincing: The intelligence group actually did worse on this test than they did on the first. Their average score dropped by 20% The effort group did better. Their average score ended up increasing by 30%. It's amazing that such a subtle difference in the way that they were praised had such an impact on the students and their mindsets.

Can you relate to this, does it explain your situation?

Sorry to hear that sis.The best therapist for you and for any somali person is to go home(somalia/africa) and see how other somalis live their life and how lucky we are living in the west.

sigmund

JUSTICE FOR SHUKRI ABDI
VIP
Me and my two older sisters all feel the same way especially my middle sister she almost commited suicide because of her deep state depression that has taken over her for almost a decade alhamdulilah she's fine now after talking her out of it and how severe the punishment of suicide is but she is still recovering and I don't know when she will recover. Unfortunatly she doesn't pray despite advising her to so I will pass over my advise to you and have faith in Allah the one who bought us to life and the one we will certainly return to even if we are living it up in Bora Bora we will all meet with Allah think about all the blessings Allah showered you with secretly and openenly and read the quran even if it's small verses sis and I hope inshallah you have a speedy recovery whatever is hurting you

VixR

Veritas
There’s clearly a lot of depressed users on here, and yet the culture here is so negative. When they express it, people throw Islam at them. I don’t know what to think anymore. There’s clearly a lot pain here.

People are literally dying of no food in Africa, have no proper shelter, living in diseased unsanitized environments. If you have a roof over your head and a meal you should be grateful. Dont be so egoistic, the world does not revolve around you

Exodus

Alienist
These were things I did when I was depressed that helped me a lot;
- Start eating a more balanced diet, Somalis, in general, don't have good diets.
- Go for a walk a few times a week, staying indoors too long isn't good.
- Pick up a hobby or a skill (like learning a new instrument)
- Start going to the gym consistently, staying in shape helps improve yourself physically and mentally
- If you're in school start studying more frequently. Academic success helps in building up self-esteem

Before you go to a doctor and take meds for depression, check if you've everything you can to improve your life. Because if you haven't done all you can to improve yourself, therapists will tell you what I just did - the only difference is they'll charge you. But, If you feel like you've done all you can but you're still depressed, then go talk to a therapist.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
@admin you need to experiment with improving the culture on here, though it’s definitely tricky, since it’s the members who most facilitate the sort of environment they’re creating.

You have all these depression threads of Somalis in their lives, and this is where they come, the most negative Somali spot they could find, so to speak. It’s such a mismatch.

Radical Canjeerorism

Keyboard Composer. ☭
VIP
People are literally dying of no food in Africa, have no proper shelter, living in diseased unsanitized environments. If you have a roof over your head and a meal you should be grateful. Dont be so egoistic, the world does not revolve around you
The human brain is far too complicated to be reduced to such matirialism, I agree we should always be grateful but having your needs met isn't a guaranteed escape from unhappiness

VixR

Veritas
Its good of you to reach out. I always suspect the environment, whether that be relationships/family, or how you fill your time. Did you ever try changing it, or something about your routine? Is there anything you enjoy doing? Would you move out, or can you if family is the cause? What are you overthinking about? Are there people who facilitate this in you? You have to try to find the root. Think back to when you started sinking.