Normalize not taking shi from Somali parents

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here
I don't know how old people here are, but you get fed up with the erratic behavior of some parents. Normalize setting boundaries and pointing out their faults to their face.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Sounds like you have some personal drama going on.

Imo most somali parents are pretty chill.

I don’t know what’s going on in your life to comment on it.

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here
Sounds like you have some personal drama going on.

Imo most somali parents are pretty chill.

I don’t know what’s going on in your life to comment on it.
Nope you’re just too brainwashed to see what goes on. Most average Somali parent is known to be over dramatic

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Nope you’re just too brainwashed to see what goes on. Most average Somali parent is known to be over dramatic
Idk about you but my parents are saints they provided me a lot of opportunities even at their own detriment. I can’t even begin to repay them.

I too had the rebellious teenage phase but i grew out of it.

I think your personal experiences might have sullied your perception on somali parents.

hanif#

Somalo-Arab
I don't know how old people here are, but you get fed up with the erratic behavior of some parents. Normalize setting boundaries and pointing out their faults to their face.
No thank you.

We are ordered to obey our parents and respect them

K-M-O

Coping through the 1st world
Cultural differences plays a role here.

Your parents came from a different set of culture.

Somali parents build these expectations on their kids on the role they should act on accordingly.

but what if their kids who’ve been influenced to the western culture and not get enough of their parents strict standards?

They might not adapt well on their parents cues.

Because of how they’ve became integrated in the west, sometimes Somali parents don’t see how there’s a layers of consequences how that’s gonna affect their relationship with their kids.

My advice:

Try to talk to your parents very maturely on the responsibility you want to take.

And be open.

Moon-

Bipolar Express
They rarely are wrong. Even if they are wrong alway try to please your parents. This is the adab of Islam

but thats gonna lead to long term mental health problems for the child, there gonna grow up with low self esteem, inability to set proper boundaries and put everyone elses needs before their own.

K-M-O

Coping through the 1st world
but thats gonna lead to long term mental health problems for the child, there gonna grow up with low self esteem, inability to set proper boundaries and put everyone elses needs before their own.

It’s not a problem obeying your parents in a culturally homogenous setting but in the West what they tell you is sometimes harmful and only you take the consequences.

You’re both correct.

Parents need to give their kids boundaries and space while they’re growing.

Giving them rigid rules would only downplay their developments.
This is when I realised there’s a differences in our culture that differs from the west.

In the west individualism is prioritised.
But in eastern culture community is highly prioritised.

For example in the western modern society
-If you bring shame you’ve brought shame.

In eastern culture

-If you bring shame you’ve brought shame on us and the rest of the family.

In our culture listening to parents is highly prioritised because that’s how our culture is set.
It’s rigged from the day you were born.

But what happens when their exposed to a different set of culture that’s westernised and modernised? How would they adjust to their parents and their role play?

There needs to be a connection between parents and kids.

The parents need to be educated (on the culture their kids are integrating to) before they’re educating their kids on how to follow their way.

And parents needs to understand by paying attention to their kids needs rather than lecturing them on culture norms that’s alien to theirs.

You sound like a godless emotional caasi man. Stop being soft, and tolerate whatever grievances you think you're parents are bringing to your life.