New Suugo Science: We Wuz North African

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
I hope they drill his teeth for DNA and see what modern population is the closest to him. We may win.

@Amun Off topic, but one thing that bugs me is the lack of consistency when categorising Afro-Asiatic languages. I've read Cushitic branched off first. Then I read Chadic was first and has the closest connection to PAA. Then I read that Cushitis closest to Egyptian, then Semitic then Berber. Then I read that Semitic-Berber-Cushitic branch off as a group together and Chadic is closer to Egyptian. Now I'm reading Beja (a Cushitic language) is etymologically closest to Egyptian followed by Berber and Semitic. How is that even possible?

And don't even get me started on Omotic.

Apollo

VIP
@Amun Off topic, but one thing that bugs me is the lack of consistency when categorising Afro-Asiatic languages. I've read Cushitic branched off first. Then I read Chadic was first and has the closest connection to PAA. Then I read that Cushitis closest to Egyptian, then Semitic then Berber. Then I read that Semitic-Berber-Cushitic branch off as a group together and Chadic is closer to Egyptian. Now I'm reading Beja (a Cushitic language) is etymologically closest to Egyptian followed by Berber and Semitic. How is that even possible?

And don't even get me started on Omotic.

I'm not that big into linguistics, but there's always a lot of disagreement in that field. In general I would say stick to the major consensus opinion and don't read too much into the fringe opinions.

But when are you gonna tell me what your real profession is dee :cosbyhmm:

At least tell me what you studied in uni :damedamn:

First: Unrelated to what I post about.

Second: Yes.

I'm not that big into linguistics, but there's always a lot of disagreement in that field. In general I would say stick to the major consensus opinion and don't read too much into the fringe opinions.

What would be the consensus? It seems to me Indo-European has a lot more consistency than Afro-Asiatic, despite the latter being offered and more accounted for. Linguistics interests me more than jamcatul dna.

First: Unrelated to what I post about.

Second: Yes.

Would you like to take this to the PMs? :damedamn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending